dog licking himself raw? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is going to sound disgusting (and it is) but over the weekend my golden retreiver has been licking himself and has removed most of the fur around where his testicles used to be and it's all red We've got some Oxyfresh Pet Gel which I've been thinking of using but just really don't want to...(I get easily grossed out) I will, though if I must! We did get his head cone out so he can't do any further damage but I can't figure out why he's doing this and if something could actually be wrong - any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 06:45 PM

Sounds like he probably has a hot spot. Any chance he got bitten by something there (ie fleas) or does he have bad fur matting there? These are usually caused by something that is irritating to the dog (bites, allergic reaction, matted fur) to the point that they lick the area obsessively.

The best thing to do is to clip all the fur away from the area and wash it with cool water several times daily. Use the e-collar too so he can't keep licking it. These can become infected quite easily, so a trip to the vet may be in order if it's a large area or if it's not improving in the next day or two.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:50 PM

My dog did that once. Vet said it was a boredom/habitual thing. He wasn't bit and didn't have a rash or anything--just behavioral. She put a E-collar on him and some cream (or a spray, can't remember) to put on the area. It healed up well. When the collar came off, I just made sure he had plenty of rawhides and/or Kongs filled with goodies to keep him busy so he wouldn't go back to licking himself raw.

GL and let us know what your vet says!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:15 PM

My dog does this. She's a nervous licker, always licking her paws. She also has sensitive skin and flea allergies. I keep up to date on her flea meds, bathe her frequently to keep her skin clean (with a mild shampoo, and a conditioner), and when she develops a real 'hot spot' I use a cortisone spray which usually clears it up in a couple days.

And of course give him plenty of stuff to do/chew.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:53 PM

It's a good idea to have it looked at, but yeah, it could easily be behavioural. Our oldest dog is a "crazy-licker" who we have to watch like a hawk otherwise she ulcerates her own arms.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I thought there was a difference between boredom licking and licking themselves raw. I'd get it checked out.

I'd also avoid washing repeatedly. Repeated washings are going to dry out the skin. Just wash him regularly with good quality, soothing shampoo. If he's bored make sure he's getting frequent walks, and yeah, plenty to chew on.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Put unpasteurized honey on it (if he's wearing his cone).
My vet swears by it.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:30 PM

My parents Golden was REALLY prone to hotspots. They eased off some on a better dog food.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

User Tag List