Clive was hit by a truck.. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 143 Old 09-15-2008, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh no. I hope that there is some amazing progress made tonight.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 143 Old 09-15-2008, 09:39 PM

I'm sending lots of love your way.......

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#63 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 08:48 AM

Just stopping in to see how he's doing. to you and your family.
#64 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 11:43 AM

I just saw this, mama! I'm so sorry! HUGS!!!!!!!!!!
#65 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 02:30 PM

Big big s

-Rachel

#66 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

He's coming home. We have the ok from the vet to bring him home! We'll either get him this evening or tomorrow morning depending on when DH can be here.

His bloodwork this afternoon was good. All his numbers have improved. He's been eating well today.

They soaked him in a bath for about 30 mintues and then took him outside. He was able to stand with some support and he was trying to walk. So he can move his back legs. Both vets were watching and assessing his back leg/hip movements. They both feel that just given enough time to heal he should be able to walk again.

As for his eye, right now it does not blink much but it does blink. We need to lubricate his eye with drops. His pupil does not dialate much, and there is a big clot in it. Only time will tell if he regains vision in that eye.

He has a long road of recovery and it's not going to be easy. I will need to help him get outside to go potty. She said daily bath soaks would be great. However, seeing that I'm 7.5 months pg and he's a big dog (about 80ish lbs) I'm not sure how much I'll be able to do without DH here. She suggested maybe getting some pee pads if I can't get him out by myself when DH is at work. Also, just using moist heat on his body will be good if we can't get him a good bath soak daily.

She also suggested I get a muzzle as he has been snapping at them when they try and get him to move his back legs. He's in a lot of pain.

So he needs meds, and lots of manual help...but he's coming home!

I know it's still a possiblity that a complication may arise but for now we are hoping for the best.
#67 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 04:20 PM

HOORAY!! That's the BEST news I've heard all day :

Give him a big hug for me!
#68 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 04:21 PM

Hey, call me back when your phone is charged (I assumed the sudden static was from your phone dying. . .)
I have a package or two of piddle pads. I know you have chux pads, but I've got piddle pads here that we don't need. We don't have a big muzzle though, just JRT sized ones.
Where are you going to keep him?

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#69 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
Hey, call me back when your phone is charged (I assumed the sudden static was from your phone dying. . .)
I have a package or two of piddle pads. I know you have chux pads, but I've got piddle pads here that we don't need. We don't have a big muzzle though, just JRT sized ones.
Where are you going to keep him?

I'm not sure. I do have his crate on a blanket and I can slide it around. So I'm thinking I can move the crate with him in it. So I think I can slide it to the back door and then help him out. That way I don't have to help him through the whole house to get outside.
#70 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Poor puppy! I'm so glad things are looking up though.
I was thinking about your bath issues - would one of those bigger Rubbermaid storage bins be of any use? You'd still have to get him in it somehow, but what if you put it at the edge of your porch or something, so you could just slip him off the porch and into the water filled bin? Maybe you could cut a hole in the lower edge too, and then just stop it up with a tub stopper? It wouldn't hold forever, but for long enough for him to get the soak benefits, and then you could just drain it where it stands and perhaps even just gently tip the (empty of water) bin over to get him out again? The bin probably wouldn't hold enough water to do much for his back, but his limbs would get the benefits. I have no idea if this would actually work, but it was a thought! I think of my six month pregnant self and our 60 lb dogs in your situation, and I'm a bit overwhelmed, so I imagine you are more than a bit overwhelmed!
How good to have him home though! I hope he continues to recover well.

For greater things are yet to come...

#71 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 05:06 PM

Oh that's good news! I'm glad that they're more positive about his recovery. At least this way you can see how he's doing. Given time it sounds like he can still have a quality life.

I'm worried about you though, do you have any family/friends closeby who can help you in the next couple of weeks? Seriously, I'm preggo here too, and I won't even pick up my oldest DD who is 48 pounds! I tried last week, and hurt my abs!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#72 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 05:53 PM

: YEAH! : That's GREAT NEWS!

-Rachel

#73 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 05:55 PM

That's wonderful news!!!!
#74 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 07:13 PM

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#75 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 07:55 PM

I'm so happy that he's improving!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#76 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

He's home. Ugh, poor dog. He was trying so hard to walk and it's heart breaking to see him fall forward on his face. We brought him home and took him out back to see if he would go potty but he didn't. He did drink water though. I'll try to feed him later this evening.

He is going to sleep right now. The whole commotion of coming home exhausted him.

My other dog walked up to the crate, sniffed, and then walked away. I guess he knows Clive needs rest.

Clive has 4 different meds to take. Eye ointment, steroid, pain, and antibiotic for the next 2 weeks. The vet said if he becomes overly aggressive to call her and she'll change the steroid dose or replace it with something else.

DH works from home tomorrow, thank goodness.
#77 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 08:24 PM

That is wonderful news! I was so afraid to come on this hread today, but now so very glad I did. ::

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#78 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

This is so hard. Clive is in so much pain. When we took him outside after he ate, he bit me. Not hard but hard enough for me to know he did not want me messing with him. I'm not sure how often we're supposed to take him out. He absolutely does not want to move.

I really hope we're doing the right thing. I've never seen a dog in this much pain. Time...he just needs time.
#79 of 143 Old 09-16-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
This is so hard. Clive is in so much pain. When we took him outside after he ate, he bit me. Not hard but hard enough for me to know he did not want me messing with him. I'm not sure how often we're supposed to take him out. He absolutely does not want to move.

I really hope we're doing the right thing. I've never seen a dog in this much pain. Time...he just needs time.

Were you able to get a muzzle yet? You don't want to get a puncture wound and have to be on abx when you're pregnant.

I know it's got to be really hard to see. Just see how he does, it may take him a week or so. Hopefully he'll be feeling better soon. If you're worried about it, I'd call the vet again and they will probably be reassuring to you.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#80 of 143 Old 09-17-2008, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, the vet gave us a muzzle. DH didn't think we needed it but now he knows we do.

I'm going to call the vet and ask just how often he needs to be moved around. I know he needs to move to reduce the risk of clots and go to the bathroom.

It could also be the steroids. She told me if he became too aggressive or seemed too anxious to call her. So far he has not stopped panting since coming home. That could be pain, he could be hot, or it could be the steroid.

I wish he could use words to tell me how he feels.

I have incredible heartburn right now. Go figure.
#81 of 143 Old 09-17-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
It could also be the steroids. She told me if he became too aggressive or seemed too anxious to call her. So far he has not stopped panting since coming home. That could be pain, he could be hot, or it could be the steroid.

I wish he could use words to tell me how he feels.

I have incredible heartburn right now. Go figure.
Maybe calling them would put your mind at ease.

Sorry about the heartburn...I'm with you on that one I have it pretty frequently these days...have some papaya mints or something around? The MWs here always tell me papaya, etc., but to me it seems like tums or something similar is the only thing that works for me if I eat something tomato based . Last night I had pizza (bleh) and though I barely ate ANY I sitll got heartburn. Sigh.

#82 of 143 Old 09-17-2008, 12:16 PM

Still thinking of you, Kleine. I'm glad Clive is resting at home and hope the Dr will be able to tell you how often to move him. What a tough pup, must be all the love you guys give him.

-Rachel

#83 of 143 Old 09-17-2008, 12:25 PM

Oh Kleine, I saw you mention that you were having a hard time in our DDC kitchen table thread, but I had no idea that there was this much going on mama! s times a million! I am so incredibly sorry Kleine and wish that I had words to adequately describe the sympathy I have for you, Clive, and your family. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and hope that the universe sends some healing vibes Clive's way. In regards to the heartburn, you may want to try papaya extract, it has been a total lifesaver for me, and you can get it in a tasty chewable form very inexpensively. I wish you nothing but the best of luck with Clive, Kleine.

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#84 of 143 Old 09-17-2008, 03:21 PM

oh, pooooooor Clive, and poor humans of Clive! I'll be thinking of all of you and hoping for his recovery. This must be really hard with you big and round, too. All my warmest thoughts!

Have you ever used Rescue Remedy with your dogs? Sometimes it can have a calming effect, or at least so I've been told my a colleague who owns and trains collies for herding...

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#85 of 143 Old 09-17-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

The vet said to get him outside as much as I can. Ha, that is not easy. If he could stand just a little...but he can't/won't.

I know I'm emotional being pg and all, but I've crying all day about the pain he is in. It sucks seeing him struggle and for me to struggle to get him out.

The vet said to carry him outside and then just put him in the shade and let him lie there for a bit. He said that is what they did and Clive would move around a little and go to the bathroom. Here's the kicker....we have NO shade at all in our yard. Zero. No trees, big bushes, nothing. I'm thinking of getting one of those canopy things. I'm really wishing that we did not live in FL right now. It is so hot hot outside.

It is going to be a hard long two weeks.
#86 of 143 Old 09-17-2008, 04:03 PM

Do you have a beach umbrella or someone you could borrow one from? Or a clothes line that you could cover up or something to give some shade. Those were a few thoughts I had to make shade.

Seriously, part of me wonders if it was too soon to have him home if it's so hard. Was it really expensive to do the boarding/care at the hospital on a daily basis?

#87 of 143 Old 09-17-2008, 04:04 PM

Big hugs KH.

DH works at Cornell Vet (not with dogs though) so I asked him to ask around... obviously this is all second hand of second hand but the vets he spoke with said the aggression/personality changes could last a while. The stress hormones and pain response can take a while to return to normal levels, so it may be several weeks. Hopefully it doesn't take that long and Clive will be back to himself as soon as the immediate pain recedes, but I just wanted to let you know it could take a while even once he is physically healed so that it's a happy surprise if he is back to normal quickly but not a nasty shock if he isn't. And I'm sure the steroids aren't helping... poor pup. And poor you!

For shade... maybe just a beach umbrella for now? Or hang a clothesline (from two stakes, or a stake and a hook on the house/tucked into a closed window) and a sheet from the line to make some shade? Do you have a car that could be used for shade (sometimes we tuck our pup's leash into the car door while we're doing yard work), or a garden trellis?

hang in there!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#88 of 143 Old 09-17-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm going to bite the bullet and go to Walmart. I haven't been to a Walmart in almost two years. I'm going there to get some beach umbrellas and some heat pads.

He does wag his tail (when we are not moving him), licks my hand, and eats and drinks well. I just wish I had magical powers to levitate him through the air. Is that too much to ask?
#89 of 143 Old 09-17-2008, 05:20 PM

If you're doing a shopping run... it's not levitation, but maybe some sort of wagon or sled? Would that make it easier to get him in and out of the house? Maybe something like the flat dollies they sell for moving refridgerators or sheets of drywall?

#90 of 143 Old 09-18-2008, 12:40 PM

oh i am so sorry to hear about Clive. Hope things get a bit easier as he continues to heal.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page