Oh no! One of our "girls" is a he! The babies are HERE, Pics post #12- MORE PICS #20 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-14-2008, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we purchased 2 guinea pigs earlier this summer (from a small pet store, terrible I know, but for some reason it never occured to me that there would be rescue orgs for small pets.). We were assured they were 2 females. DH noted the other day that one of them was getting quite large around. Well he looked up info on how to properly sex a guinea pig on the internet and lo and behold, Cuddly is a HE! and Lovey (named by my 5yo) looks to be very pregnant.

We've done our research and just built another c&c cage to seperate them, since apparently they get get pg again immediately after giving birth. But I was wondering if anyone else here has any been there done that sort of advice.

Also, I'm going to get in touch with a local rescue I just found, but on the off chance that there are any CT/MA/NY area MDC mamas that are interested, I may have a couple of guinea pigs up for adoption in the near future. I'd love to see them go to a truly good home. I feel awful that this is happening and that I didn't think of rescue in the first place.
#2 of 24 Old 09-14-2008, 05:54 PM

I have no advice. I just wanted to say good luck with all the gp. You will have to post pictures when they arrive.
#3 of 24 Old 09-14-2008, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissypants View Post
I have no advice. I just wanted to say good luck with all the gp. You will have to post pictures when they arrive.
Thanks! I will absolutely post pics, when the time comes. I feel simultaneously guilty and excited.
#4 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 12:39 PM

I had the same thing happen with my childhood guinea pigs.. we got seven for the price of three.

The babies are ADORABLE.

We neutered the father, and kept him, the mother, the other adult female and one of the female babies all in the same big cage (with plenty of time to run loose, and a big playpen for outside - GPs need a lot of space and exercise). The other three babies we rehomed.
#5 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 12:46 PM

Just for the record- neutering guinea pigs is a surgery that most rescues will say "the risks outweigh the benefits".

I am not sure what I would have done in your situation, but did want to put that out there.

Rescues are now pushing cohabitation of 2 or more same sex cavies over neutering the male, and cohabitating male/female situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbarin View Post
I had the same thing happen with my childhood guinea pigs.. we got seven for the price of three.

The babies are ADORABLE.

We neutered the father, and kept him, the mother, the other adult female and one of the female babies all in the same big cage (with plenty of time to run loose, and a big playpen for outside - GPs need a lot of space and exercise). The other three babies we rehomed.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#6 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I had read the same about neutering. We're going to wait and see what the sexes of the babies are before we decide what to do. I'm just crossing my fingers that we get a small litter!
#7 of 24 Old 09-16-2008, 12:20 PM

Wow, I didn't even know they COULD neuter a Guinea Pig. How about hamsters?
I'm all for building LOTS of cages and keeping all of them, but then I'm a softy like that.
#8 of 24 Old 09-16-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLark View Post
Wow, I didn't even know they COULD neuter a Guinea Pig. How about hamsters?
I'm all for building LOTS of cages and keeping all of them, but then I'm a softy like that.
I totally would too, but we have seriously limited space already. I'm a total spaz watching the mama-to-be like a hawk! I can't wait to see tiny piggies!
#9 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 05:31 PM

Good luck with the pregnant piggy. You could separate the male and female and then keep one baby of each sex to give the adult piggies a roomate. That way you don't have to neuter and they still have a companion since guinea pigs need to have a house buddy.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#10 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 08:47 PM

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#11 of 24 Old 09-17-2008, 09:53 PM

I have nothing helpful to add that hasn't been said already, but wanted to share this in case you haven't seen it: the Saga of Sooty! It's an old news story, but cute and funny.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/1048327.stm

clip:
Quote:
A guinea pig called Sooty enjoyed a night of passion with 24 females after fooling his way into their cage in south Wales.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#12 of 24 Old 10-01-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

They're HERE and OMG you've never seen anything cuter than a newborn guinea pic!!!!!! There are only two (assuming she's done, but it definitely seem like she is), one looks just like dad and one like mama. : So I think we'll wind up keeping them. It was so fast and quiet, I was sitting on the floor playing war with my dd and I check on her once...nothing, then about 1/2 an hour later, there they were! They seem to be doing well, I see them trying to nurse and one is eating lettuce already!

I've only got pics of one, they're staying tucked up in their den and we didn't want to bother them too much with the flash.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23937711@N00/2905121363/
#13 of 24 Old 10-01-2008, 08:32 PM

OH my GOSH they are so cute! I want a GP now! My husband would crap his pants!!! They are VERY cute though

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

#14 of 24 Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 PM

Oh, my, is that just one of them? So cute! Super cute!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#15 of 24 Old 10-01-2008, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, that was the first one born. They still haven't come out yet, so I think it will be tomorrow before I get pics. They are so so cute, it's taking all my will power not to pick them up.
#16 of 24 Old 10-02-2008, 02:42 PM

I had a gp and loved her soo much, turned out my dh was really really allergic to her, so after 2 horrible honeymoon weeks in our new house, I had to find gp a new home,

I miss my sweet Mable!

Congrats on the babies!!! Super cute!

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#17 of 24 Old 10-02-2008, 04:19 PM

Oh it is sooooo cute : We have 2 piggies and we just love them. If we were closer we would so take one off your hands. Please post more pics when they are all born I want to show them to the kiddos

BTW: Not sure if you know already, but the male babies can get mom pregnant again when they are about 3 weeks old.
#18 of 24 Old 10-02-2008, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Oh they are so cute! I promised dd we'd get more pigs but I can't find any rescues in this area...wish you were closer.
#19 of 24 Old 10-02-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTLuv View Post
BTW: Not sure if you know already, but the male babies can get mom pregnant again when they are about 3 weeks old.
OK well that detracts from their cuteness somewhat. Grody!

Baby guinea pigs are sooooo cute though. Once I had two pigs, and one of them got sick and my grandpa (who is an anesthesiologist) euthanized her for us. He felt badly about it and brought me another one as a present. Then she got fatter and fatter and started doing weird things like eating her own poo. (Apparently they do that sometimes as part of a nesting urge.) I was the one to find the three babies one morning...OMG. It's so amazing that they're born with all their hair, unlike rodents...they look like little tiny miniature adults.

Enjoy!

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#20 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2toomany View Post
I had a gp and loved her soo much, turned out my dh was really really allergic to her, so after 2 horrible honeymoon weeks in our new house, I had to find gp a new home,

I miss my sweet Mable!

Congrats on the babies!!! Super cute!
Aww, that's sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTLuv View Post
Oh it is sooooo cute : We have 2 piggies and we just love them. If we were closer we would so take one off your hands. Please post more pics when they are all born I want to show them to the kiddos

I did know that, but thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post
Oh they are so cute! I promised dd we'd get more pigs but I can't find any rescues in this area...wish you were closer.
Wish you were closer too! I think we'll probably just keep them all, but if an MDC mama wanted them we'd love that too!

Here are some more pics:

Both babes - It's so cute one looks just like mom, one like dad.

And a couple of nursing shots.
#21 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 03:28 PM

Aww, they are adorable! Do the babies just seem huge in comparison to the mom to anyone else?

Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.
#22 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 03:38 PM

Oh wow, they are super cute! I can't believe how big and furry they are already!!
#23 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

The are really big compared to a baby hamster or something. They gestate for a lot longer (I think) than other small rodent-y type animals, between 65 and 73 days. I wish I'd thought to take a good pic of mom when she was all big and preggo.
#24 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 10:00 PM

[QUOTE=...OMG. It's so amazing that they're born with all their hair, unlike rodents...they look like little tiny miniature adults.

[/QUOTE]

I thought they would be naked too!

Married to a WONDERFUL man, SAHM of Israel 9(b) , Ireland 5(g) , Iceland 4(b),  Italy 2(g), Scoltand 9 m(g), and pregnant with baby #6

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page