Poop and Pee only one time a day??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-27-2008, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We adopted a 4 year old Border Collie from a breeder friend of ours this summer. Ever since we brought her home, she will only poop and pee ONE time per day, despite being let out several times a day. I praise her like crazy when she finally does go...I have never seen a dog be able to hold it this long...and we have had her for a couple of months now and she still will only potty once per day. I am worried she might get a bladder infection or something, ya know? Any ideas? I have never had a dog that has done this...
#2 of 7 Old 09-27-2008, 10:49 PM

Some days our guy only goes in the am and in the pm.... twice a day even though he is out way more than that. I also wonder about UTIs... I will be interested in seeing how others respond to your thread.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#3 of 7 Old 09-27-2008, 10:56 PM

Hmmm... our shelter pup (~1yo, "shih-poo" mutt) poops once a day and pees twice. That's it. It doesn't seem to make any difference how much water or food he eats in a day and the temps don't seem to matter either. He's just really really regular with a very set "habit". I don't know if that is just his temperment or something he got used to either in his first home or at the shelter, but he has been here for over a month now and he's been like this since day one... poop/pee first thing in the morning, pee again around 4pm.

Have you asked your friend about it? Maybe this pup has always been this way? Or perhaps they can suggest what might be going on? It does sound a bit odd...

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 7 Old 09-28-2008, 12:19 AM

The pooping once a day sounds ok - I think it depends on the dog. I have one that only poops once a day and one that goes twice. But I don't think I've seen a dog that only pees once a day...

Is she drinking what seems like a normal amount? No chance she is peeing somewhere where you can't see her?
#5 of 7 Old 10-01-2008, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

This dog drinks a normal amount of water and has a good appetite. Her urine, I noticed, is a tiny bit darker than it could be, but I guess that is to be expected for only going once per day Silly dog! She doesn't *have* to hold it in for so long! But she does. Most of the time when I take her out she is only interested in chasing the geckos in the yard. Or frogs. I am worried one of these days she may encounter a snake and that will be her undoing...sigh....other than this little issue she is a great dog!
#6 of 7 Old 10-01-2008, 11:38 AM

Have you considered taking her out on leash or a long line? Then you could teach her a potty word (we use "go pee" and "hurry up" for pee and poop). At first you're basically repeating the phrase and as soon as she goes you praise and let her off the leash.

I would be a little worried that this could have negative effects on her bladder/kidneys to tell you the truth. Sounds like she's a smart dog and I'll bet she'd learn this routine quickly (i.e. no chasing geckos until you've peed). Actually I use a similar reward for one of my dogs - pee first then we go on a walk or play frisbee.
#7 of 7 Old 10-01-2008, 07:25 PM

Pooping once a day seems fine, especially if you are feeding quality food. Generally the more active my dog is, the more she pees. No one wants to be running around with a sloshing bladder! She might pee twice in the same walk (about an hour long trip) but hold it all day when she's just couch potato-ing around the house.

Are you walking & exercising her, or is she just being let out to do "whatever" in the backyard?

Also I wouldn't worry too much about snakes. Most dogs aren't as allergic to snake bites as humans are. Mine has never met a live snake, but she's scared to death of the dead ones we have found in the road - instinct I guess? I believe she may have spotted a snake at the edge of our yard yesterday, and she barked at it and wouldn't go near it, but I never saw it so I don't know for sure.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page