What dog should the Obamas get? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 11-10-2008, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milletpuff View Post
Not to derail from this conversation, which I think is VERY important and I am ALL FOR lecturing when it comes to breeding dogs, but...

Obama just had his first press conference -- and someone asked about the dog! He said there are two considerations: first, one daughter is allergic, so they need something hypo-allergenic. Second, they really would prefer a shelter dog! He said that's hard, because a lot of them are "mutts like me"

How many poodle rescues do you think are are calling him right now?
Hypoallergenic dog? Is there such a thing? My allergist says no. If there is I'd love to know about it.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 65 Old 11-10-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerama View Post
Hypoallergenic dog? Is there such a thing? My allergist says no. If there is I'd love to know about it.
The answer is no, if you mean are there dogs that just never cause allergies to flare. Dog dander is made up of skin cells and dried saliva, so until they invent a dog with no spit there will be allergens. But there are some dogs that shed less, so for SOME people they can be less triggering.
#63 of 65 Old 11-13-2008, 12:58 PM

We have a labradoodle. He is a very sweet, gentle dog, though he is huge. He was being trained to be a service dog (he initially came from a respectable breeder) but he got too big. I guess they have to be under a certain length and height, etc, to be able to turn around in aisles, etc. So we adopted him. This trainer trains dogs to be service dogs, and they have lots of tests and evaluations they put the dog through before they accept them, but there are often times where, after the dog has begun to be trained, it just doesn't work out. Like, the dog remains skittish around the wheelchairs, or something like that. In our dog's case, he grew too big (and he is quite huge).

So, she has to find respectable homes to adopt the "drop-outs". We had to go and meet them, play with the dog, hang out, etc, and the trainer tries to fit the dog with the family (ie kids or no kids, etc).

So, because of my experience, the way I learned about labradoodles was through them being used as service dogs. I understand that now they are being marketed as a designer dog, and I see your point about people not responsibly breeding dogs, however, it was my understanding that the labrador and the standard poodle were first bred with the intention of creating a good service dog who sheds less than a lab. Labs make great service dogs, but they do shed so much, so someone with allergies might not be able to have one. Then poodles are smart, but I've heard they sometimes make bad service dogs, because they are a bit "too" smart. So, the labradoodle, I was told, was an attempt to make a good service dog for those with allergies. Have I been told incorrectly? I really would like to know, because this has been my assumption all along.

And, yes, my labradoodle does indeed shed, but not nearly as much as a lab. Much much less.
#64 of 65 Old 11-13-2008, 01:01 PM

A pound puppy would be awesome, but I doubt that will happen, so I thought a Boston Terrier or a Labradoodle. BTs probably aren't great b/c of the allergies, but Labradoodles are!!

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#65 of 65 Old 11-23-2008, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerama View Post
American Hairless Terrier.
The breed was founded in America, and America is in its name. It's hairless, so very hypoallergenic, and kind of cute, in a strange way. My DH has allergy-induced asthma and dogs and cats are his triggers. He has no problem with this dog (our second of this breed). It would also let a lot of people know about this breed of dog.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page