The scariest thing...LONG - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was at the mall the other day with DD, and she was having a meltdown because I would not give her a quarter for candy. As I was reasoning with her, this perfectly normal looking man came over and said'' You should give her what she wants, because any minute she could be taken from you''. Of course, I grabbed DD and walked away. Next we go to Target, where I wrestle DD into a cart. We are shopping, and she is doing the ''Why, why why'' thing. I finally reply, after answering many questions, ''I don't need to give an explaination for things ALL the time!'' This same creepy freak pops out from the aisle in front of us and says ''Yes you do, because she could be kidnapped tomorrow, and you will wish you did''. That was it. I roughly pushed past him, going to the checkout, where I reported him. The clerk called over the manager, who notified security. They told me this guy had been in there every day for the last two weeks, but they did'nt do anything because he had'nt bothered anyone. We debated the merits of calling the police, but decided against it because it was his word against mine, and right or wrong, he was a 50-something guy in a suit, and I was a heavily tattooed chick in a t-shirt. So after giving security a report, I went out to the car to leave. I put the stuff in the trunk, and strapped DD in the car, locking the door before opening mine. I look behind us, and two cars down is the SAME scary freak watching us. At this point, I have had it. I double checked the door locks, set the car alarm, put my gun in the holster(yes, I have a gun, yes I carry, but it is perfectly legal, for work, and I don't carry when I have my kids, so don't flame please) and marched over to him. I made sure that just a bit of the gun showed under my jacket, and calmly told him that if he continued to harrass and stalk me we where going to have a big problem. He eyed me, and the gun, and nodded. I jumped in the car and took off, and promptly drove for and hour or more all over town to be sure we were'nt followed. Once again, I understand not all of you would have done what I did, but I did it and don't want any flames. I just wanted to share my story, since I am still terrified about it.
#2 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 07:21 PM

Omgosh! That is very scary! Sounds like he is off his rocker. I wonder if maybe he had a child kidnapped at some point or if he's just a nut ball. Scary, either way!

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#3 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 07:23 PM

I would definitely be freaked out.

That is the strangest series of events I have heard. I would have probably called the police. Especially after he followed you to your car. Creepy.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#4 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 07:23 PM

Holy crap. You have more guts than me, woman. That is some seriously scary and disturbing stuff. I'm glad you are safe, but I would be a mess thinking about that person lurking somewhere.
#5 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 07:28 PM

Oh how scary! I probably would have reported him to the police at that point! I'm glad you are all okay though...

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#6 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 07:31 PM

how terrifying! i am shaky just from reading it!
#7 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 07:32 PM

I'm sorry you had to experience that and you felt like the security did not take you seriously because of your tatoos, how insulting.

I hate to be alarming but since he followed you from one store to the other, is it possible he took your license plate information and might try to seek you out again? He seems like a total creep.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#8 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 PM

I got goosebumps reading that.

CPST & mom

#9 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 PM

You should've done the police report.

And I don't blame you ONE bit for showing him you meant business.

What a creep!
#10 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 07:48 PM

This is very scary and disturbing. I'm glad you are okay and I think you did the right thing scaring him off like that and driving around so he can't follow you and find out where you live!!

Please report him to the police, and give a full description. I say this because just over a month ago a mom on our local homeschool group was followed out of a park by a creepy guy. TWO days later a little girl went missing, she was found later, alive, but had been sexually assaulted. They caught the guy and IT WAS THE SAME GUY WHO HAD FOLLOWED THE HOMESCHOOL MOM AND KIDS OUT OF THE PARK.

This guy is out to get a little girl and he won't stop until he does. Please report this before something happens to an innocent little girl!
#11 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

I understand what you guys mean about the police report. I am sure Target did one, so I am going to get a copy of thiers and do a police report. Also, it is possible that he got the plate, but I have warned my kids and nieghbors, and we are keeping a lookout.
#12 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 08:18 PM

Oh my God!!!

I am so sorry. That is so, so scary. Holy crap. And in that area? I mean, it isn't heaven but it just isn't DC, you know? Wow. I am so glad you and Raina were ok!! There are some creepy, creepy people around.

You have balls. You know I'm not a gun fan but I sure am glad you had it around that day.

I really hope Target did file a report and if you see him again I'd call the police ASAP. I'd also make sure the older kids know what he looks like, so they can run the other way if they are outside or at school.
Also, don't let your (gorgeous) appearance stop you from calling the cops on anyone. You are just as much a member of the community as anyone else and anyone worth their badge knows it!

On a totally personal note, send me a PM or call me again because I can't find your new number and yours didn't show up for some reason when you called.

Mama to our nose-in-a-book Autumn (6) & our old soul Molly (4)
Imaginative, fun jewelry & photography Shenandoah Sunshine
#13 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 08:23 PM

Wow, that is terrible. I am glad you are ok.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#14 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

I made sure the other kids knew right away, and like I said, I am going to do the report thing. I just tried to call and it went right to voicemail, but I;ll PM you with the number now. Thanks to everyone for your support.
#15 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaW View Post
I hate to be alarming but since he followed you from one store to the other, is it possible he took your license plate information and might try to seek you out again? He seems like a total creep.
That's *exactly* what I was just thinking. And would be worrying about it from then on...

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#16 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 08:34 PM

OMG!!!

That is the scariest thing I've heard in a long time.

I am SO glad that you guys are ok.
#17 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 08:41 PM

geez mama, how scary. It does sound like he is lurking around with bad intentions and that the interaction he had with you could be a prelude to an attempt at kidnapping a child. I, too think you should file a police report and I think you did the right thing by being tough-- I just worry for the mama's who aren't tough and don't have a weapon. I got goosebumps all over me reading this thread.

Zoe, mama to Thomas 1/06
#18 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#19 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 08:55 PM

Wow, glad you're ok!
#20 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 09:01 PM

Wow... how frightening!! I'm glad you are okay, and I'd follow through with the report as you mentioned.

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#21 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 09:58 PM

You did a good job momma bear!

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#22 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 10:55 PM

Please do file a report! When my son was 2.5 years old someone attempted to take him from a library playgroup. I was scared to file a report because I thought maybe I was overreacting (I was trying to justify, like maybe the guy had though DS was lost or something but I KNEW that wasn't the truth). Anyways I did call and make the report and they found the guy. They weren't able to do anything because technically "nothing happened," but they did run him out of town. I think you reacted the right and I think you should now follow it up with the report.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#23 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 10:59 PM

screw the gun! I'm surprised your didn't slug him! I would have been drug in for assault after the 2nd creepy comment!

sorry mama.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#24 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 11:38 PM

Wow, very scary. Good for you for approaching him in the parking lot! You had much more restraint in the store than I would have though. I'm pissed at Target for not making a bigger deal out of it, they should have immediately called the police and the guy should have been restrained and not been able to follow you out to your car. Be careful, hopefully since you looked him in the eye and he knows you know very clearly what he looks like he won't bother you again, but I worry about others.
#25 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Oh good lord I wanted to. Had it not been for the fact that I was afraid DD or another LO would see it, my husband would be posting here telling this story and asking if anyone could spare some money for bail, and if you guys could be character witnesses.
#26 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good for you! What a very, very scary thing to have happened! Please be careful and very alert!
#27 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 11:48 PM

How Scary!!! but you were awesome. I would of done the same thing. I could not allow a person like that to harrass and follow me especially when it had to do with my child and get away with it.
#28 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 11:55 PM

Report that to the police. I'm sure Target has him on the cameras.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#29 of 89 Old 11-20-2008, 11:55 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Did you get his license plate #?

I'd definitely report it to the police!!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#30 of 89 Old 11-21-2008, 12:03 AM

Wow, how scary!!!! :

You did good Mama!!!!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page