Younger Mommas Thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 358 Old 11-28-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Certainly all due respect goes out to all Mamas of every kind, but I think that there are certain challenges and stigmas that younger moms face (say, under 25 or so..) and I was just wondering if any other young mommas out there wanted to start a tribe
#2 of 358 Old 11-28-2008, 01:27 PM

Oh me, me, me!
I'm a young mama, I'm 20.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#3 of 358 Old 11-28-2008, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, great! Well, hi My name is Carolyn, I have a beautiful DD born 01/09/08and I am 20 as well, nice to meet you!
#4 of 358 Old 11-29-2008, 01:44 AM

I'm in! My name is Gina and I'm 20. I have a DD born 12/9/07 & a surprise due 4/19/09.

Gina ~
mommy to E & K and #3 due 7/2011homebirth.jpg
#5 of 358 Old 11-29-2008, 01:51 AM

I'd like to join in! My daughter was born on May 6th 2008 and I'm 20. Just curious, where is everyone from?

I grew up in the San Francisco bay area but after marrying my husband who's in the military, we've been everywhere. Currently, we're in South Korea.

#6 of 358 Old 11-29-2008, 03:09 AM

I'm pretty sure there used to be a really young mamas tribe, but I can't find it right now.

Anyway, I'm a 21 year old mama to an almost two year old daughter. We live in IL.
#7 of 358 Old 11-29-2008, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm from Southern New Hampshire. Crunchygina, our girls are exactly one month apart! Coming up fast on that one-year mark, huh? :
#8 of 358 Old 11-29-2008, 04:11 PM

I'm from SW OH.

I can't believe my little girl is going to be 1 soon! Less than 2 weeks!

Gina ~
#9 of 358 Old 11-29-2008, 04:29 PM

I know it says it under my user name but I'll say it anyways[incase someone didn't see?], I'm from Las Vegas.
Its nice there are young mama's on here!

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#10 of 358 Old 11-29-2008, 05:33 PM

i am 21. ds was born 2/08/08 .. we are in fairfax. va!
#11 of 358 Old 11-30-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

I agree, It's awesome to see so many young moms on here. It seems sometimes like every other mom out there is in her late 20s, 30s or 40s. It's so overwhelming at times because although we have the common bond of motherhood, I feel like there is this constant ... gap between us, I don't know if that is there due to the age and 'life experience' difference or if it's my imagination or what! Anyone else feel the same way?
#12 of 358 Old 11-30-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaelynsMama View Post
I agree, It's awesome to see so many young moms on here. It seems sometimes like every other mom out there is in her late 20s, 30s or 40s. It's so overwhelming at times because although we have the common bond of motherhood, I feel like there is this constant ... gap between us, I don't know if that is there due to the age and 'life experience' difference or if it's my imagination or what! Anyone else feel the same way?
one of the biggest things i notice is that people automatically assume it was an accident (mine was but they don't know that) that you are single (i am not married but i am with DSs daddy) and that you will not be having children anytime soon...

oo and that you have no idea what you are doing.. or what to expect.. i love the 'oh you'll see' see what you ding dong my kids older then yours.
#13 of 358 Old 11-30-2008, 03:23 PM

I agree with that. I was in a SAHM group in my area and felt so out of place b/c I was the youngest by almost 10 years. It didn't matter that I was married with planned both babies. I feel as though I usually have more in common with older moms than with moms my age (atleast the ones I know personally), the older moms just don't really want to get to know me.

Gina ~
#14 of 358 Old 11-30-2008, 09:24 PM

#15 of 358 Old 11-30-2008, 10:40 PM

I'm a young mama. I'm 23 and just had my first. I can relate to feeling out of place with older moms. It's unexplanable, 'cause I never felt out of place when with older friends... and my boyfriend is 10 years older than me lol.

~Amanda~ crunchy, foodie SAHM to DD 8/14/08
#16 of 358 Old 11-30-2008, 11:25 PM

i also feel sort of out of place with people my age now. i am at a different place in my life and have different values... something about that mommy thing really changes you. they don't get the way i parent or why... and they think they are experts.. i think thats pretty normal.. everyone always thinks they are an expert until you actually have to do it.

it doesn't help that a lot of the moms i know that are my age absolutely should not be moms. they give all young moms a bad name.. and the ones i know that are older then me are really mainstream.. we have very different values.

ChrunchyGina i noticed you are a SAHM.. so am i ... is anyone else?
#17 of 358 Old 12-01-2008, 12:12 AM

I'm going to be 23 next week. My first baby is due sometime near Christmas! :

I have a lot of friends who are also (or were) young mamas. Though I think my family thinks I'm weird for starting my family now.

I also look much younger than I am. I could easily pass for a high school student. A little while ago a lady at Wal-Mart gave me a really dirty look. I guess she thought I was a teen mom or something (probably doesn't help that my wedding rings won't fit on my swollen fingers).

ETA: Not that I think teen moms deserve dirty looks! She was being snotty regardless of my age and marital status.

ETA: I wish I had started my family sooner.
#18 of 358 Old 12-01-2008, 02:27 AM

Hi ladies, just sneaking in here for support. I'm not really a young momma anymore (shhhhh), but I was and know how hard it can be (and, of course, how great it can be) and know all about the comments, struggles and successes.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#19 of 358 Old 12-01-2008, 02:54 AM

1littlebit I definately relate to people thinking you are unmarried and the baby was an accident. I am married and my daughter was planned!

I dont seem to fit in with my younger friends anymore and I feel really weird at play dates with the older moms. I do have one mom that I get along with she is older, I think 28-ish, she has tattoos and stuff and her husband is a Dj so thats cool.

I'm a SAHM. I think its hard for people to accept the idea that I'm young, married, have a house, and we make it work so I can stay home. Now as hard as it is for people to understand all that its even harder for people to get eating healthy, AP parenting, and things like knitting and sewing, that just blows their mind

#20 of 358 Old 12-01-2008, 11:51 AM

I'm also a SAHM.

~Amanda~ crunchy, foodie SAHM to DD 8/14/08
#21 of 358 Old 12-01-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so excited to have other moms my age who have similar parenting values. I feel the same way as a lot of the other posters. My story is that I was 18 when I got pregnant, and actually graduated highschool 3 months pregnant, nobody knew though, because I hid it until after graduation. It would've been quite the scandal as I was an honor student and all that jazz, I was with the love of my life (and we are still together). Our child wasn't planned, per se, but wasn't exactly accidental. Looking back now, that wasn't the smartest decision, but I wouldn't take it back for the world. I had Raelyn a couple weeks before I turned 19. We breastfeed, co-sleep, delayed/selectively vax, eat healthy and have our own home. We are engaged but are waiting to get married, as I am in school right now to get a nursing degree. I go to school part time, but other than that I am pretty much a full time SAHM. I have been to some parenting groups, and while I enjoy that we usually have our parenting values in place, I feel out of place, as one mom said, being about 10 years younger than everyone else. I do have a couple of older mom friends, but most of them don't want to waste their time talking to such a youngin', because clearly I have nothing to offer that could possibly be of value to them. I do have a few non-parent friends my age, but I have a hard time connecting with most people in this age group because our lives are so vastly different, when they come to school exausted from being up all night partying, I was up all night with my teething baby. I do actually have a couple of parent friends my age, but our parenting styles are so incredibly different that I get upset sometimes just hearing them talk about it, i.e. CIO, elective bottlefeeding, etc. I find I don't notice many nasty looks, that's not to say there aren't looks, I just choose not to notice them. It doesn't help that I look about 15, no lie, and DH is 8 1/2 years older than me, so we've been asked if we were BOTH his daughters before! Hah! Typically when other people care enough to talk to me though, I can show them through my actions and words that I am a mature adult and a good, loving parent, and I can finally get a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T! But I try not to let other people get to me, I know that I'm doing the best for my child and my family and they can love it or hate it,

Basically what I'm getting at is again, how incredible it is to FINALLY meet some mom's with similar ages and parenting values. How awesome! :
#22 of 358 Old 12-02-2008, 12:43 AM

i love talking to mamas who have similar parenting philosophies. we don't bf much. b/c i was stupid and weaned to go back on my medicine.. i really thought i needed it.. (adhd) i relactated but its starting to really take a toll on me. not EBF is the only regret i have with DS.. i hate that he gets formula.. you learn better you do better and the next one will be ebf... lol.. who knew i wouldn't need my medicine... who knew there is not a medication in the world that would enable me to be a mom and a student.. lol.

i love being a sahm though... and seriously... people cannot believe i sah... they are always like don't you go to work or school? what about school? some people can do both.. i can't ... yk? and honestly i wouldn't want to. i have my whole life to go to school.. and i am fortunate enough that DP has a good stable job that allows me to Sah!

all the crazy AP/NFL things i do .. my whole family chalks up to me being young l lol
#23 of 358 Old 12-02-2008, 11:06 AM

Yay! Another Young Mama tribe!! :

I'm Maggie and I am 23 with 3 kiddos ages 5, 2, and 1. I work at home as a medical transcriptionist and struggle with keeping a clean and organized home .

Does anyone else hate that everything you trip up on is due to age? Like my house isn't always the cleanest and is far from organized and that all is because I am just so young

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#24 of 358 Old 12-02-2008, 02:06 PM

I'm 24 and I have a 2 year old girl and I am pregnant again...
#25 of 358 Old 12-02-2008, 03:38 PM

Hi I'm 23 with 3yr old ds and due another in march. I'm a SAHM too. I have some parent friends who are older than me bout 10yrs older! I do get on well with them but none of them are into bfing or co-sleeping etc. I kinda get the feeling when I say I do such-and-such with ds or I have a certain view on something people just look at you like you are so young and naiive that will never work out in reality. :
I rarely see my old pre-baby friends just cos most of them are in college and out most nights etc I don't feel like I've much in common with them.
I love being a young mom though I think you have more energy for your kids and can relate to them better, although my energy is running out ds is sooo active and I'm starting to feel the tiredness with this pregnancy.
Crybaby when are you due?

Me and the boys; Dh, ds1 10/05 and ds2 03/09
#26 of 358 Old 12-02-2008, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I thought I had responded to this thread. I'm 24 and my children are 8, 5, 3, and 1.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#27 of 358 Old 12-03-2008, 12:43 AM

Hey guys!! I am Rachel and I am 23, my DS is 7.5 months old and #2 is due in June. I get some prejudice but one the best things about being a SAHM married to a guy in the Army is that young mamas seem to be MUCH more common then in the general population. I guess we tend to get married younger too just because it makes a military relationship a ton easier? Who knows.. I don't agree with many young mom's parenting philosophies that I meet so I am glad to see a tribe for us!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#28 of 358 Old 12-03-2008, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi mamas! I'm 23 (24 in a couple of weeks) and I have an almost 5 year old dd, a 2 year old dd and am expecting again this summer!

I have been studying to be a midwife since dd1 was a baby and I only have 12 weeks left. This will be so amazing for my family and I, having a good, steady income and settling into life a little bit. It has been a struggle, but a beautiful one. I wouldn't change it for the world, and I am proud that our dds have seen us create an amazing life from nothing, they inspired us to do great things! I think there's a little bit of magic in that (as opposed to having your kids after you and dp/h have finished school, bought a house, etc. etc).

Nice to meet you all!

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#29 of 358 Old 12-03-2008, 01:34 AM

mags i hear you on the house thing. actually everything that isn't quite up to snuff is because i am so young. oo and the AP stuff is b/c i am young and can do it.. apparently ap is to hard for older parents... anddd AP is b/c i am young and am trying to prove i am a good mother. um really? could it just be that i am doing what i believe is best for my son and that just happens to mean i am a good mother... nope apparently i am only doing this to prove i am a good mother. figure that one out.

congratulations on being almost done bliss! i would love to be a midwife one day but working out my life with my adhd is all i can handle right now. i wish i could apprentice.. that i could handle.. but all the book work is to much for me.

do you guys have mom friends your age irl?
#30 of 358 Old 12-03-2008, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
mags i hear you on the house thing. actually everything that isn't quite up to snuff is because i am so young. oo and the AP stuff is b/c i am young and can do it.. apparently ap is to hard for older parents... anddd AP is b/c i am young and am trying to prove i am a good mother. um really? could it just be that i am doing what i believe is best for my son and that just happens to mean i am a good mother... nope apparently i am only doing this to prove i am a good mother. figure that one out.

congratulations on being almost done bliss! i would love to be a midwife one day but working out my life with my adhd is all i can handle right now. i wish i could apprentice.. that i could handle.. but all the book work is to much for me.

do you guys have mom friends your age irl?
I despise when people think AP is like the "lazy" choice or something... I get rolled eyes and "you'll see, it will come back to haunt you" sort of comments. Honestly, it takes a heck of a lot more effort to speak with my children, explain things and try and feel where they're at than it would for me to hit them into submission and not let them speak their minds. Grrr....

Becoming a midwife is really overwhelming, I can't even believe that I have (almost!) survived. It's like you said, the "book work" is CRAZY! I am studying for an exam right now (9 am tomorrow... wish me luck)! There have been moments of total breakdown and hysterical crying, but so so so much joy and rewarding relationships. It's so amazing to find a life path so fulfilling. I'm so grateful! Perhaps you'll be able to do it slowly, step by step, one day. Have you considered doula-ing?

My very best friend in the universe is also a young mama, she's 22 and has a 19-month old dd. She is a wonderful mama and a good friend to have in this journey.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page