Quoted: 0 Post(s)
$15 to 20 an hour here in Chicago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 12-03-2008, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A lot of it depends on who the person is and how much advanced notice they have.. I use to babysit a lot before DD1 was born and right after she was. If I had some notice it was usually either dinner (if Im babysitting for a close friend) or 7-8 an hour. Usually it was a military family (I was a Marine at the time) and I knew how hard it was to make ends met so I didn't charge them much.
Ive never paid for a babysitter for DD. Shes stayed at one six times, twice for date dates and 4 full days when DD2 was in the NICU and I was at the hospital with her. All 6 times I exchanged favors with the people watching her or they did it for free. I always offered to pay but they never accepted.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#33 of 34 Old 12-03-2008, 01:53 PM

In my area it depends on the babysitter. If she is a college student, she'll probably charge between $10-$15 an hour. If she is a high school student, she'll charge $6-$8 per hour.

The best thing a mother can do is to love the children.
#34 of 34 Old 12-03-2008, 02:03 PM

Dang! I remember when I was babysitting and making $2 an hour in the mid-late 80's.

I pay sitters $10 an hour to watch DS, but seeing as how I only make $5 an hour as an in home child care provider, it is extremely rare that I can afford a sitter. It hurts to go out for a few hours and have it cost me an entire day's pay.

I did go out last night though and spent $20 on a sitter for two hours so I could go to a knitting group. It was absolutely heavenly, and I don't feel badly about spending the money at all. My last sitter that I "hired" was last summer for a few hours so I could drive about an hour away to pick up a king size bed frame from freecycle. (Yeah, I live it up when I get a sitter! )

Most of the time I end up doing child care swaps with friends who have kids so I don't end up paying anything.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page