Extrovert Child/Introvert Mother - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2008, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:
She is my third child. I know that all children talk, but she is VERY different from my boys and other daughter. She doesn't stop chattering from the time she wakes until the time she goes to bed. And she is very animated and fast and it causes anxiety in me.

My other children went through stages when they were toddlers, but she started talking at about 9 months of age and has not been quiet since. She is almost 5 years old. Her vocabulary is stunning. She is super intelligent and she is energetic.

:
She is sweet. She is loving. She is very well behaved. But *I* don't know how to handle the incessant chatter. I am an introvert and would rather be lost in my thoughts... but she causes me to always have to be listening. I will be reading a book and she will just stand beside me and talk and talk and talk.

Then, she'll ask me a question and I'll just glaze over. : Her questions come from left field often, too.

She is an amazing girl and I don't want to ruin her but my ears are ringing!

Any advice besides earplugs?

: : ::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 03:04 AM

Wow, you described my BFF to a T! Her oldest is like that (not sure about her youngest.) To be truthful she has used it to her advantage in the fact that it has forced her to come out her shell somewhat and to be able to follow a conversation when necessary. You see, she also suffers from grand mal seizures and has had memory loss because of it.

So, hang in there momma! They are only small for awhile and then they grow up and move on with your best instructions!

laural
Old 12-02-2008, 11:37 AM

In our family my DH is the introvert and my son and I are the extroverts. I see the drain on him! I wanted to reinforce that it is just fine to be introverted and need your down time.

I'd suggest two things -

one, arrange times for your daughter to talk at someone else (DP, other relatives) where you can recharge!

two, you could start working with her with a timer and say something like "mummy really needs 10 minutes of quiet. Here's a timer. When it goes off you can come see me again" - make it fun and a game, and give her 10 minutes of attention first, and I bet it will work (my son is 3.5 and he can hold out for 5 min)

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
Old 12-02-2008, 12:25 PM

Don't have any advice, but I feel your pain. My 7 year old is the talker and can/will talk non stop from wake up time to bed time. It does get hard to "handle" sometimes. I like the timer idea, wish I had thought of it.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:20 PM

That sounds a little like my situation. I am a very quiet person, more of a listener than a talker. My son on the other hand, once he gets going OIY! LOL I admit that some days I tell him "Mommy is going to have some quiet time. You can do whatever you like (look at books, play with toys etc) during this time but I need some quiet." He's usually good for about 20 minutes (provided I've given him lots of attention before hand) and then he starts asking "you ready to play mommy". That's usually all I need to recharge and we're off again.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 PM

This is also me and DD, 100%.

The hardest time of the day for me is when I get home from work and she gets home from school. I NEED 15 minutes of quiet time to recharge from a long day at work and she NEEDS my attention in order to recharge from a long day at school. The second we get home she's going a mile a minute and I just want to go in my room and close the door. This may sound harsh but it feels to me like she is sucking my energy. It's so HARD when I'm already exhausted and often times I find myself snapping from frustration.

I'm trying to find a balance between being there for her when she needs me and allowing myself the time I need to recharge. I've been trying to implement a certain amount of time that she needs to wait before getting my undivided attention. Usually it's just until I get inside, get my things put away and do some general straightening in the house which usually takes about 10 minutes. I find that I am more calm and able to concentrate when the things around me are in order. And it gives my brain a chance to decompress.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I just want to go in my room and close the door. This may sound harsh but it feels to me like she is sucking my energy.
Oh yes, this is exactly how I feel. It is nice to hear that I am not alone in this!

I am teaching her to use the timer. I am also teaching myself that it is okay to go lay down in my room with the door closed for a few minutes to let the ringing in my ears subside.

She is homeschooled, so there is little break during the day. I find the shower to be a great place to unwind when my husband gets home and can watch the children. It allows me to download a bit of the stress that I pick up from her throughout the day.

: : ::
Old 12-03-2008, 02:02 AM

This is sooo my son. Oh man he just doesn't ever stop talking. I need to tune out once in awhile. It helps me stay on an even keel just to settle into silence for a short bit, even, but there's none of that with him. SOmetimes I just feel like saying "STOP TALKING!" although I never would.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin1377 View Post
This is also me and DD, 100%.

This may sound harsh but it feels to me like she is sucking my energy. It's so HARD when I'm already exhausted and often times I find myself snapping from frustration.

I know just how you are feeling. I've felt that many, many times before to the point of feeling like I was operating from a defecit of emotional energy. It's a lot better now that he's older.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:04 PM

Another one here. My dd will talk to anyone who will listen and hold a decent conversation, too. I took her w/me to my job one day and the CEO's office is right down the hall from mine. We had peaked in and said "HI' to her, but then I went on down to my office and actually had to wait on my dd to get finished talking. I looked down the hall and there sat my dd in the CEO's office w/her legs crossed just having a conversation like she had known her for years. I had another time where a friend of mine watched my dd for me for a couple of hours. When I asked her how my dd was, she was like "I can't believe how much your dd talks. She talked the whole time I had her." I just laughed and I guess since I am so used to it, I don't really think alot about how much she does talk.

I have to also say that my dd has also brought me more out of my shell and I'm not as introverted as I used to be.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:12 PM

Hah! I was actually just thinking of this thread.

My son will talk til the cows come home, and then some. Often I wonder if he's bothering people, or if I'm just projecting. I spend so much energy monitoring others for signs of fatigue that I become drained.

He *is* actually an interesting conversationalist, even though he's six. But sometime I also want to say "Stop Talking! Silence is Golden!!!"

No one believes he's actually MY son!
Old 12-03-2008, 02:32 PM

Another one here! My son (33 months) is the chatterbox of the family; he loves to talk, and he has a great vocabulary, and usually I enjoy listening to him. But I am extremely introverted, and there are days when I think if he says one more thing - especially if it's "Mama! Hey Mama! I want to tell you something!" - I will tear my hair out. Sometimes the only thing that works is to get in the car, where he is usually be happy to watch out the window for trucks and tractors, or look at a book.

User Tag List