4.5 too young to bathe alone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At what age did you trust your kids alone in a bathtub to bathe themselves? My daughter is 4.5 and washes herself in the shower, but dh feels she is still too young to be left unattended in a bath. The furthest I would be would be down the hall in the play room or my office, but I thought she might be old enough to leave in a bath for a few minutes at a time to let her have some privacy. I won't leave her during a shower - I'm too afraid she'll fall. But she's pretty competant in a bath.

When did you start leaving your dc's to bathe themselves?
#2 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 01:34 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest is 3 and 8 months and last month, she asked me for "privatcy" when she's in the tub, except when she needs her hair washed. I leave the room, but the door remains open and I check in on her every 5 or so minutes. I think at 4.5 I'll probably still have a similar approach, probably until she's six or so.
#3 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 01:50 AM

too young. i think i saw 5 as the minimum by the aap. it's just not worth the risk.
#4 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm usually in the bathroom or in the hall just outside the cracked door with our five year old dd. I would try to give it just a few months.

Or you could use my guideline -- if you have to wonder if it is ok, then it's not ok. When our 7 year old was ready, she was about our younger dd's age, and we didn't wonder, it was obvious that she was totally ready. Our younger dd is a little unsteadier so she might need a little longer.
#5 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 02:08 AM

I think it's too young. I never felt comfortable leaving them before the age of 6 or 7, depending on the child. And that's still with paying very close attention, doors open and me not too far away.
#6 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 02:15 AM

Dd is going on 4.5 I am comfortable a few steps down the hall with the monitor on and the doors open. She makes lots of noise

-Angela
#7 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 02:24 AM

Our two 4.5 yo's are in the bath together and we are in and out. I may go into their room next door to put away clothes or be on the computer across the hall in the study. I cannot see them but can hear them and are steps away. (They are very loud so they make noise constantly.) My husband will run downstairs to get something while giving them a bath. I don't think he should and we've had discussions about this issue. I fear he will get caught up in whatever he runs down for - too dangerous.
#8 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 02:38 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
too young. i think i saw 5 as the minimum by the aap. it's just not worth the risk.
:

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#9 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 02:45 AM

Mine started around the age of 4. It never seemed too young to me.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#10 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 03:27 AM

mine was a lot younger Maybe its because we have a tiny house and its pretty much impossible not to hear everything from every corner. Maybe its because she sings at the top of her lungs through out her bath time.. Not sure but hnestly she is now 6 and shes been bathing on "her own" to some extent since she was at least 3.. prpbably younger.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#11 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 03:27 AM

Yeah, about my oldest's 4th birthday I was comfortable being close but not in the bathroom. He turns 5 in March and often when he's in the bath I am across the hall getting a head start on cleaning up toys.
#12 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 03:30 AM

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;112/2/437

FWIW

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#13 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 03:30 AM

Between 3.5 and 4 here.

I'm not really taking a nap or something but I'm going around the house getting a few things done here and there.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#14 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 03:56 AM

I haven't read the previous posts but I felt comfortable leaving my DS in the bathtub around 4.5 years. I wasn't more than just down the hall tho. Altho I didn't necessarily trust him to actually bathe himself well.
#15 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 04:10 AM

I actually let my three year old bathe or shower alone. I don't just stick him in there and leave him, but he's fine playing while I do some chores in and out of the bathroom. I'm in an apartment, hear him at all times and the door is open.
#16 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 04:21 AM

:

DD (almost 18 mos) showers alone at times. I leave the room for several minutes at a time while she showers. I can hear everything and she'll come running out if she needs something (like when she poops and needs me to clean it up before it's safe to get back in the shower )

I leave dd in the bathtub for short periods of time as well. I'll go pick out her jammies for the night, check on her, go throw laundry in dryer (same floor), check on her, etc.

I'm pretty laxed though
#17 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 08:48 AM

My 3 yo bathes alone. In fact, that's the easiest way for me to get her out of the way when I need to do something without children underfoot (take things out of the oven, etc). And the bonus is that she gets clean too. But like angela's kid, she makes lots of noise and I always leave the door open.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#18 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 09:47 AM

Around 2 . . . our house is small enough that I could hear playing/talking in there, and check in frequently if they got quiet.

My kids love the bath. I would be bored out of my mind if I had to sit there and stare at them as long as they like to stay in and play!

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#19 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post
:

DD (almost 18 mos) showers alone at times.

lol, I left ds3 and ds 18mos in the shower today while I made lunch for them. They were happy. I could hear them.. I felt they were safe.
#20 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 10:05 AM

My ds is 3.5 and we live in a very small house. I let him play in the tub by himself for a bit while I get things ready for the next day. I'm in and out, and if he STOPS making noise, I'm there. Wait. He doesn't stop making noise. Ever.
#21 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 10:50 AM

No, I'm not comfortable yet, and DD is 4, and very responsible. However, she's not yet a swimmer - so doesn't truly understand the potential danger of water.

In the shower, I'd probably be okay with that - we have a stand up separate shower. There's no water pooling at the bottom, nothing to slip on, nothing to hit her head on.

And no to either when DS is involved.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#22 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermom View Post
mine was a lot younger Maybe its because we have a tiny house and its pretty much impossible not to hear everything from every corner. Maybe its because she sings at the top of her lungs through out her bath time.. Not sure but hnestly she is now 6 and shes been bathing on "her own" to some extent since she was at least 3.. prpbably younger.

Deanna
This is totally us, too. I put my nearly 3 y.o. in the tub so I can have some quiet mommy time. Of course, we live in a small apt. and I'm just in the next room. If it gets quiet, I check on her, but she's usually singing or talking out loud the whole time.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#23 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post
:

DD (almost 18 mos) showers alone at times. I leave the room for several minutes at a time while she showers. I can hear everything and she'll come running out if she needs something (like when she poops and needs me to clean it up before it's safe to get back in the shower )

I leave dd in the bathtub for short periods of time as well. I'll go pick out her jammies for the night, check on her, go throw laundry in dryer (same floor), check on her, etc.

I'm pretty laxed though
Yikes, 16 months alone in the bathtub?

Children can drown in an instant. A 16 month old doesn't have the balance, agility, or understanding/experience not to stand in the tub to grab the soap, or try to climb out & slip, bang her head, fall into the water, or turn on the tub accidentally all the way to hot, etc. etc. etc.

As the mom of two children in Montessori, I am ALL FOR independence, but it has to be age appropriate. 16 months is too young for independent bath tub time.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#24 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 12:24 PM

My 6 1/2 year old regularly takes baths and showers alone. My 2 year old plays in the tub while I'm doing stuff in the kitchen (which is right next to the bathroom). I can hear everything they're doing from any place in the house and I check on them every couple of minutes. My kids make tons of noise in the bath tub and I usually am talking to them if I'm not in the bathroom so I know they're ok.
#25 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 12:27 PM

we have a small house so we started around 3 when she was an only child, but I would check on her if she got quiet. I do leave my 5.5 and 2.5 yo alone, again checking on them if they get quiet. I have just started steping out of the bathroom (to fold towels or something) if my 2.5 was quiet.

I dont go sit down and watch tv though because then I can't really hear them well.
#26 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 02:12 PM

We live in a small apartment so for about 2-3 years now I will let ds play in the bathtub for extended periods of time while I do other things. I can hear him from every room and if he gets quiet, I'm two steps away and can check on him.

I still wash his hair, but he'll wash his own body and has for about a year or so.

Bathtime has always been a fun, calming time for him. He loves for me to sit on the toliet and talk with him, but he also likes to play in there for an hour or more. He's got toys, and sometimes even asks for his snorkle and mask.

It's a nice break for me and I feel very comfortable at his age that he's safe in there alone.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#27 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 02:52 PM

We started allowing him to play alone-alone in the tub at five, he's been doing showers alone since he turned six. At four and a half I would leave him alone but I checked on him about every five minutes

Since your DH doesn't feel good about it, I would wait. I almost always try to go with the person who cares the MOST about it. Unless you feel really strongly about your DC having alone time in the bath, his fear for her safety is going to trump it.

It won't hurt her to be supervised in the bath for a little while longer, but it may really upset your DH if she is not. That's how I would look at it.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#28 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy1019 View Post
Around 2 . . . our house is small enough that I could hear playing/talking in there, and check in frequently if they got quiet.

My kids love the bath. I would be bored out of my mind if I had to sit there and stare at them as long as they like to stay in and play!

About that here, too. I live in an apartment, and I'm in earshot practically anywhere in the place. There's a constant racket when mine are in the tub (3 yo and 5 yo bathe together), so if I don't hear anything, I'll check in (but really, I can't remember them ever being so quiet in the tub that I felt worried!).

My oldest started taking showers on his own at around 18 months. At that time, our master bath was the only one with the shower, so I'd be in the bedroom while he was in the shower.
#29 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 06:27 PM

Each parent knows their child best. If you are not sure your 4 year old is ready then maybe he/she is not.

My DD started being alone for a few minutes at a time around 2 1/2. by 3 1/2 I was comfortable with her being alone for the entire time. I think it is important to mention that at 2 1/2 she was singing and talking the whole time so I knew she was fine. If the splashing sound changed or she was quiet I was in there like a shot. I also made sure I was just outside the door at first (she did not know that. )

By 4 she was completely independent in the bath or shower. The real danger for us was the amount of water on the floor or the amount of soap/shampoo that would be dumped to make bubbles.

Now that my 14 month old is able to sit independently in the tub I am back in the bathroom for an entire bath. DD will get in with him and keep an arm around him if I am straightening up in the bathroom otherwise I'm on a stool sitting right there.

I worry more with 2 kids in the tub about drowning than with just 1. More fooling around and potential for an accident, KWIM?

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#30 of 73 Old 12-06-2008, 11:17 PM

I'm shocked at the 18 month olds taking showers alone. I wouldn't let my 20 month old DD stand in the shower even if I were in the room with her. I would be way too worried about her slipping and hitting her head on the tile.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page