Overweight Children - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

#121 of 125 Old 12-08-2008, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
I was the one skinny kid amount the 3 overweight siblings. We all had the same level of activity and we ate the same stuff. The difference was the quantity of the stuff that we ate.
Calories consumed will certainly make a difference, but there is more to it than that. I offer a tale of two dogs

I had two dogs, roughly the same frame size. One was a Lhasa apso, and the other a schipperke/bichon mix. The Lhasa was always lean, and the mix was always fat. This was true from puppyhood. They lived together and had the same play/exercise activities. They both slept most of the day, as most dogs do. Their environment was pretty much exactly alike. In fact, the only difference is that the Lhasa actually ate more than the mix. Again, the thin dog ate more, often eating the fat dog's food as well.

I think metabolism accounts for a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 125 Old 12-08-2008, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama View Post

I think metabolism accounts for a lot.
ITA! I was one of those with great metabolism, I could eat anything and not gain weight, that is slowly changing as I get older, ditto for my dh.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#123 of 125 Old 12-09-2008, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab View Post
Sounds like way too many calories to me. As in... this is too large of a portion.
Huh? I listed the ingredients -- I didn't list how many people I was serving, or whether I froze some or how much I made. For all you know the pancakes could have been the size of a dime or the size of a table (in reality I gave each kid -- DS and the friend he had over 2 smallish pancakes, 1/8 of the batter that was, according to the recipe, was supposed to serve 4.
#124 of 125 Old 12-09-2008, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanGoddess View Post
I don't understand why you have come to the conclusion that your daughter is fat. Is it just the scale that you are going by? It sounds (and looks) like she is just muscular. Do you really think that other people think she is obese?
It's possible she's going by the doctor's records or BMI calculators for children. They don't actually specify that a child is obese, just that they are in danger of becoming overweight/obese. Your child doesn't even have to look fat for a doctor to make that pronouncement. If we were going to legislate against parents whose children are at risk of becoming overweight, the legal definition of what that is matters. It doesn't really matter if you think your child looks good and is healthy, that has pretty much been shown here.

I was an obese child, and the biggest problem with it was how other people treated me because of it. That has had the most profound and lasting influence on my life.
#125 of 125 Old 12-09-2008, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I don't think we should be saying parents are abusive if their child is not the weight we think they should be. I was on a lot of medicine as a child and had horrible problems with my weight. My mother cut my calories way back, made me ride my bike two miles each way to school, and brought me on daily walks and it drove my self esteem into the trash and I started sneaking food at school because I was hungry. I think that you can have abuse at each extreme and that it is more helpful to educate people about how to make food and lifestyle choices that are healthy, inexpensive, and easy to prepare. I also don't think that you can just decide someone is unhealthy based on their weight. You need to know about lifestyle as well, there are many people who eat copious amounts of junk, exercise rarely, and look like a stick and there are many people who rarely eat junk, exercise a lot, and look like a beach ball but the exercise and diet combine to create health.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page