Would a toddler sucking on a marker give you concern? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took about a 4 minute break from cleaning to check my email and messages online, and in that amount of time, dd somehow found a black crayola marker, and decided i guess to no only draw on some paper (no biggy) but to also suck on the ink end like a Popsicle.....her face was just covered in black marker! So should i call poison control do you think? I would assume they are non toxic, but i think she got quite a bit of it. THe tip of the marker is almost gray!

What should i do?

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#2 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 PM

I would call if you're worried, but I think she'll be okay. I believe that all Crayola stuff is supposed to be non-toxic.
#3 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 03:03 PM

can't hurt to call them right? You'd get a a quicker answer there than here, and it's free anyway isn't it?

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
#4 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
whenever i was ever in doubt i always called poison control. even though i knew there was nothing to be concerned about i still called for reassurance. they were always v. kind and understanding and always called back an hour later to make sure everything was indeed ok.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#5 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 03:26 PM

It depends on the type of marker for me--if it was a sharpie or a dry erase marker, I personally would be a bit more concerned than if it were a non-toxic crayola washable marker.

And she's probably going to have some interesting colored diapers for awhile there, I would imagine...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#6 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 03:52 PM

yeah, I think if it's a kid marker I wouldn't be as worried. My toddler draws all over himself when he gets a hold of his siblings markers : drives me nuts but I understand your concern with her ingesting some.

it will ease your mind to give poison control a call.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 03:55 PM

Yummy : If it is Crayola then chances are it is non-toxic. Have you called poison control? Waiting to hear what you discovered......

Funny how those little boogers can make ya panic...ha ha
#8 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 03:55 PM

eeew! Kids will eat anything, won't they? I wouldn't be too worried if it was Crayola, but I'd call just for reassurance.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#9 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 04:47 PM

nah, if it's crayola I wouldn't worry. I mean, I wouldn't exactly feed it to my kid on purpose, but she's eaten approximately 2 lbs of various crayola products over the years and is still going strong

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#10 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 04:49 PM

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#11 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermom View Post
Deanna
thanks!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#12 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Xoe

I call poison control any time I have half a worry. they are helpful and reassuring. My husband worries a lot, even if I tell him something is okay. Rather than argue, I call poison control and hand him the phone. They are the best.
#13 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 08:07 PM

Crayola markers are non-toxic.

babyf.gif

#14 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 08:12 PM

Mine's done that, only it was a green one! As long as it's a crayola marker, it's non-toxic, but if it will make you feel better, call Poison Control. And take a pic to tease her with when she's a cool teenager!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#15 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yes already did it.....http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...1223081142.jpg

#16 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 11:04 PM

I wouldn't worry, if it was a different brand I might, but I really trust Crayola and their non-toxic products. However, I want to tell you a story about my son and a black Crayola marker in case the same thing happens to you -- hopefully it will save you a heart attack.

When DS was about 1 he had a feeding tube. At around this time he also got hold of and sucked on a black marker. A few hours later I was changing his diaper I saw that the contents of his feeding tube (which either should be milky like formula, clear like water, or yellowish like stomach acid, since those are the only things we put in it) was neon, almost glow in the dark green. I panicked and called poison control. I didn't mention the marker, but just described the color and swore that I couldn't think of anything that color he might have gotten into (it looked like "Mr. Clean" or some similar product but I kept everything locked up). The Poison control lady immediately asked me if he could have gotten hold of a Crayola marker. I said yes, but it was black and this stuff was definitely NOT black. She said that black is made up of different colored dyes and that the other colors are digested almost immediately but the green sticks around and makes either their stomach contents (which you'll see if he happens to throw up), or their pee neon green. She said it wasn't a problem but that parents call all the time with this concern because it's freaky to see a neon green diaper.

So, don't worry, and if he throws up green or pees green, you still don't have to worry!

Good luck!
#17 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 11:27 PM

DD has done that several times. I have to be super careful when shes coloring because if I turn my back and she gets bored she sucks on the marker. Shes never gotten sick. I get crayola markers/crayons etc becuase they are non toxic. If eaten they shouldn't do any harm (not that I encourage my daughter to eat them but its happened when she was younger)

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#18 of 21 Old 12-23-2008, 11:30 PM

DS's best friend used to suck on markers ALL the time! We used to joke when we'd see her "Oh, looks like T had markers for breakfast again!"

It would be all over her face.

Hope your little one is ok!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#19 of 21 Old 12-24-2008, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoe View Post
I call poison control any time I have half a worry. they are helpful and reassuring. My husband worries a lot, even if I tell him something is okay. Rather than argue, I call poison control and hand him the phone. They are the best.
:

They're non-toxic...so not the best snack, but not harmful

Mine prefers crayons, herself (LOL).
#20 of 21 Old 12-24-2008, 09:39 AM

Crayola is nontoxic - so laugh, learn a lesson and take a picture!
#21 of 21 Old 12-24-2008, 01:35 PM

Ditto everyone else, I wouldn't be concerned with Crayola as they're non-toxic. The same thing happened to my dd!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page