What is/was the most annoying gift received this year? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A day early but I'm sure some of us have already received surprise packages in the mail.

From estranged MIL/FIL: a TEN FOOT LONG "up and down roller coaster" that DS would ride on. I haven't opened it yet but this thing looks huge. Where the heck am I going to put it? Isn't this something you should ask about first?

Plus, this is the first year he's aware of Christmas so Santa is giving him a train table and we're giving him a kitchen. I don't want a third huge toy to steal our thunder so we're storing it for a month or so.
#2 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 10:35 AM

We have that outside in our play area, the kids LOVE it! But you're right, it is a big gift to not ask first about, lol!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#3 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, well since we're in Chicago this is meant to be an indoor toy for at least the next 5 months! And I'm not sure we have room to put it outside either.
#4 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I already know (MIL told me) that DS is getting this from MIL (the former Kindergarten teacher who has ranted to me about how children should not have noisy toys because it limits imagination... but I digress)... we already have this from my dad and his wife from DS's birthday. *sigh* I guess out of all of those products, I'd prefer the letter one, but whatever...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#5 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Be warned, DS had one leapfrog toy (rec'd as a gift) and that darn thing would just start talking out of the blue (come play with me!) SUPER annoying.
#6 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
Be warned, DS had one leapfrog toy (rec'd as a gift) and that darn thing would just start talking out of the blue (come play with me!) SUPER annoying.
Yeah, we have a few. The table thingy, the barn animals one fridge magnet thingy... luckily they have an off switch and we can turn them off when they're not being used. The fridge one will moo at you if you don't turn it off though... lol

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#7 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
A day early but I'm sure some of us have already received surprise packages in the mail.

From estranged MIL/FIL: a TEN FOOT LONG "up and down roller coaster" that DS would ride on. I haven't opened it yet but this thing looks huge. Where the heck am I going to put it? Isn't this something you should ask about first?

Plus, this is the first year he's aware of Christmas so Santa is giving him a train table and we're giving him a kitchen. I don't want a third huge toy to steal our thunder so we're storing it for a month or so.
I understand how annoying it is to have a big, huge toy like that. BUT, my kids played with that toy at my friend's house over the summer (she usually keeps it in her basement, but put it outside for a summer fun day) and they LOVED it (3 and 4 yr old, it was the most popular toy at the party). So, the good thing is that your child will probably like it, but you'll have to figure out how to make it fit into your house/property w/o it being a nuisance.
#8 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 11:35 AM

My Mom is 2 admittingly bad things : a bad Re-Gifter and an awful cook! She can take a beautiful gift basket, separate the contents out, then re-gift them out separately. Drives me nuts!! I got a pretty hand-towel & a bar of soap! Maybe she's trying to send a message!! Hee-hee!
#9 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 11:35 AM

We got a floral arrangement from FIL and stepMIL. Nice enough, right? Except two of the three names of the kids were spelled wrong. I'd think it was a mistake with the florist except that they do this deliberately. I don't think any of them except the oldest have ever gotten something from them with the name spelled correctly. The relationship is strained at best... I figure it's their way of digging at us.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#10 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 12:58 PM

Does anyone have a link for the up and down rollercoaster?
#11 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 01:01 PM

I'm not sure if this is the same one or not, but..

http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?pro...FUog3godBlntCw
#12 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 01:02 PM

Our annoying gift is a ginormous playdough set with eight zillion teensy tiny pieces and four million different colors of that nasty smelling playdough. I'm making our own playdough, one color at a time is plenty right now, and I don't want to have to keep track of all those pieces. I don't know where my inlaws got it, or I'd exchange it.
#13 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 01:18 PM

I love my MIL and she is VERY generous with the kids.

However the "realistic crying baby" will not be getting any batteries. I already have the real thing
#14 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
A talking baby doll that asks for her bottle, to be tickled, and has magnetic hands to hold onto her bottle and blanket. It is now stored in the basement.
#15 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan3 View Post
A talking baby doll that asks for her bottle, to be tickled, and has magnetic hands to hold onto her bottle and blanket. It is now stored in the basement.
Ditto, minus the magnetic hands. I took the batteries out and let dd play with her since she's obsessed with baby dolls. I'll probably swap it out tomorrow for another baby doll, as I'm sure she'll get more! She loooooves babies.
#16 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 02:59 PM

He will LOVE that roller Coaster. I don't personally own it but they have it at the playgroup my youngest goes to and he LOVES the thing! If it was not so expensive, I would so get it for him.

The most annoying thing so far for us is a talking Cookie Monster. The only good out of it was it keep happy and out of trouble for my DD's entire dance class.
#17 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 03:11 PM

my dp gave me a bookshelf that one of his contracts had been keeping in her basement for years and gave to him and it was filthy and disgusting and I had to clean all the black, icky dirt off of it.

I mean, I really wanted a bookshelf, but he couldn't clean it for me?

I gave dp a subscription to Maxim. He liked that.

babyf.gif

#18 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 03:22 PM

Video games.

Tons. And. Tons. Of video games.

:

After I told ds he couldn't have any more.

And after I told the family not to buy him any more.

They are SO getting exchanged/returned.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#19 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy View Post
Video games.

Tons. And. Tons. Of video games.

:

After I told ds he couldn't have any more.

And after I told the family not to buy him any more.

They are SO getting exchanged/returned.
That sucks! It's not like you asked for $500 wood toys or something instead of video games, and it's not like there's no other cool toy in the 20-40 range. No fun.

babyf.gif

#20 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbeachgirl View Post
I love my MIL and she is VERY generous with the kids.

However the "realistic crying baby" will not be getting any batteries. I already have the real thing
When I was about 3 I got a "realistic crying baby" that would turn off when you put a bottle in it's mouth Anyway on Christmas morning after opening gifts my family got in the car and went to my grandma's house 2 hours away. It was stressful for my parents and I kept making the doll cry, my dad stopped the car grabbed my doll took the back off and threw the batteries out the widow, the doll never cried again

So far DS has only gotten a few gifts and they have been great, money, a wooden stacker, a bead maze, a board book on Van Gough and a stainless steel sippy cup

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#21 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 03:55 PM

A lint roller. :
#22 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 03:57 PM

ROFL @ the lint roller!

My mom told me that she got my dd a huge giant tub of moon sand. :/
#23 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 04:05 PM

Baby Alive potty doll. I returned it before dd could see it - I don't need a doll that poops and makes creepy giggling noises.
#24 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odenata View Post
Baby Alive potty doll. I returned it before dd could see it - I don't need a doll that poops and makes creepy giggling noises.
Ugh, I saw an ad for that on TV and thought it was the most disgusting thing EVAR. Like the little turd in the toilet?? :Puke

babyf.gif

#25 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk de jour View Post
Ugh, I saw an ad for that on TV and thought it was the most disgusting thing EVAR. Like the little turd in the toilet?? :Puke
There is actually a turd in the toilet? Wow, I don't need one of those, I already have the real thing. My "doll" even points out how big those turds are...she is PROUD of them
#26 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
ROFL @ the lint roller!

My mom told me that she got my dd a huge giant tub of moon sand. :/
Yep. Apparently I am hairy
#27 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
There is actually a turd in the toilet? Wow, I don't need one of those, I already have the real thing. My "doll" even points out how big those turds are...she is PROUD of them
It's like, a little flipping disc... one side is clean potty water, and the other side is yellowish water with a turd, if I remember correctly. But there is DEFINITELY a picture of a turd. It looks like Mr. Hankey without the anthropomorphism

babyf.gif

#28 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk de jour View Post
It's like, a little flipping disc... one side is clean potty water, and the other side is yellowish water with a turd, if I remember correctly. But there is DEFINITELY a picture of a turd. It looks like Mr. Hankey without the anthropomorphism
Yummy : (Seriously that is nasty! Great, watch my daughter get one tomorrow )
#29 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 04:34 PM

So far DS has gotten 3 gifts: 2 electronic (ugh!) and one a stuffed Tigger. Why do people insist on buying children stuffed animals! DS has absolutely no interest in stuffed animals (and MIL gives him one everytime she sees him!!)

One of the electronic toys and the Tigger are still in the box. If I can't take them back they are going on eBay! We had to open the other toy b/c we were at a friends house and they obviously were very excited about seeing him play with it. I only let him use it on the classical music selection on low volume. The other settings are annoying beyond belief!

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#30 of 210 Old 12-24-2008, 04:38 PM

I'll let you know after we open FIL's gifts tomorrow.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page