Anyone Never Use a Stroller? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2009, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiekisses View Post
Sorry, but imo., this is just ridiculous.
I can't take you serious on this level.
So let me ask you this then....do you think strollers are dangerous? Do you think your child would be at risk of harm by using one?

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2009, 05:41 PM

I think this is an interesting article....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/famil.../baby.buggies/

We have used one maybe four times since dd was born 15 months ago. She doesn't like them, I hate lugging them around, and I prefer to wear her for the interaction and hey, calorie burning! I wear her in a tummy to tummy front carry in a wrap most of the time and though she's 26 lbs, I don't have trouble unless I've tied the wrap incorrectly.

I don't buy the center-of-gravity argument...much. Sometimes dd throws her weight from side to side and I have to stop walking to make sure I don't step out of balance,but other than that, I carry her so often that I'm used to the shift. And when she started swatting stuff out of my hand, that's when the glorious days of wandering around stores with a cup of coffee abruptly ended.

Personally, keeping her close to me allows me to keep better tabs on her. She bfs in the wrap all the time, she's less stimulated that way (she's a really high needs kiddo so that's important), it's easier for me to get around since with the wrap, I can truly go totally hands free with her. And I get to kiss her sweet head whenever I want.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post
So let me ask you this then....do you think strollers are dangerous? Do you think your child would be at risk of harm by using one?

Katherine
I don't think strollers are very dangerous, just like I don't think carriers are very dangerous.
A child is at risk and can be hurt just by living. It's like that for everyone.
That dosen't mean you can stuff them in a room full of pillows and keep them there.
Do you avoid going out with yours? Or actually, it's safer to go out since most accidents happen at home. So, are you never home? Do you avoid driving since that is very risky?

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I don't think strollers are very dangerous, just like I don't think carriers are very dangerous.
That dosen't mean you can stuff them in a room full of pillows and keep them there.
I could be wrong, but I think you are saying the same thing as the people you are arguing with. (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post
Its not "silly"....i think you're missing my point entirely...someone posted that strollers are *unsafe*, esp cheap ones, and my point is that carriers can be just as "unsafe" as anything else....the chances of a baby grabbing a piece of hot food or you spilling your soup on your baby's head, or the baby choking in a back carry and you not noticing is just about (IMO of course) as high as a stroller tipping over and your baby bonking his head, or your baby choking and you just not noticing (examples people here have posted)....basically my point is that with an attentive parent or caregiver both options are equally safe, therefore "safety" shouldnt enter into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa85 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying slings and baby carriers are some extremely dangerous thing and everybody should use a stroller - I'm saying it's possible for you and your child to get hurt with a sling or with a stroller. Or neither.

coolshine.gif

Old 01-03-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Do you avoid going out with yours? Or actually, it's safer to go out since most accidents happen at home. So, are you never home? Do you avoid driving since that is very risky?

See thats exactly my point and the point i think the PP was making by pointing out carriers have their dangers too....that neither are really that dangerous at all.

I love the idea of cloth carriers, used one almost exclusively with my older son, but it didnt work out so well with my youngest...and thats ok. Since using a stroller works ok with us i'm not hardpressed to "find a carrier that works", and i hope if i adopt another baby i'll have more luck with the carriers i have.

I think its great if someone is happy to babywear and doesnt need a stroller, and feel bad if some moms are made to feel by their relatives or by strangers that they are somehow doing something wrong. But that doesnt mean that those of us who DO feel the need to use a stroller should also be made to feel like we are somehow putting our baby at risk (either emotionally or physically) by not babywearing all the time. The link to the article about strollers in Africa quotes a parent as saying something like how can you show a baby love if its so far away from you. And i *really* hope that mothers here wouldnt share that sort of view...but reading some of the posts (not the majority, mind you) on this thread makes me wonder.

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
Old 01-03-2009, 06:19 PM

Heh, seems like we pretty much agree anyways.
I thought you meant you didn't agree with me higher up here.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:22 PM

We didn't use a stroller until dd was over one and about 25lbs. I rarely drive, so was walking 4km to the grocery store, return - too far for me to carry her and groceries and too far for her to walk when she was that little.
We retired the stroller by the time she was three though and almost never used it in crowded places or for shorter walks. Basically, I used it in place of our car or the bike trailer.

IMO, it's a tool - like any piece of equipment. In our case using a stroller probably kept us from driving a few thousand kilometres.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:23 PM

but but but, if you don't have a stroller, what will your toddler demand to push at the mall? ; )

My stroller use went from every so often to all the time when my second was born. Baby in the baby carrier, toddler (who was a runner) in the stroller.

But most of the time, my older son pushed the stroller, with my bags and stuff in it, and I carried the baby.

Now that my kids are 5 and 3, we usually leave the stroller at home, unless there is a lot of walking. I could technically still carry them in the ergo, but they are pushing 40 lbs each (they are only 2 lbs apart in weight), and my back cannot take it for very long.

But honestly, a big motivation for me to NOT bring the stroller is the fighting over who gets to push it.

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
Old 01-03-2009, 08:47 PM

ds is 8 months and we never have and never will use a stroller. we are personally against them for many reasons. it works for us because we want it to.

we plan on having 4 to 8 children total, and we will always be a stroller free family. strollers are unnatural and unnecessary to us. please no haters!
Old 01-03-2009, 08:53 PM

We have never used a stroller, only wraps and AngelPack LX. My mom used a stroller with Alex when he was very little (he is now 2) for walking/napping outside in the winter. But I never did myself and am very happy about it. I love my wraps and AngelPack!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I've never owned a stroller, and haven't had a car since long before kids. Dd (3.5) can walk farther than most of the adults I know.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:42 PM

Only read the OP, will come back and post more if necessary!

We use our stroller tons. It's a Perego and we use it every day. We walk a lot, for fun and transportation. I have a mobywrap and a babyhawk, but dd2 is a year old and already I find it difficult to carry her.

Our stroller faces both ways, so dd faces me when she seems to need it, otherwise she loves to sit facing out and seeing everything.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
Old 01-04-2009, 05:51 PM

lol, I'm sorry...but I just can't believe that mothe judge other mothers for using strollers!! LOL! Surely, you must have something else better to do with your time?
Old 01-04-2009, 06:09 PM

We use a stroller for many reasons but I think it's really a matter of lifestyle, child's temperament and size and personal taste. If I didn't have a stroller I would probably buy a wagon though. Once the child is 20lb plus I can't imagine carrying him, 2 water bottles, snacks, change of clothes, diapers, wallet, phone, keys, groceries, library books, etc. At least not all the way to the shops and back (20 minute walk each way). I have an ergo and I use it for walks mostly. It's great but I only have one back and I can't carry heavy bags comfortably on my front or in my arms. To each her own.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:55 PM

I have never taken a stroller with me anywhere (in a car), but I do have one for taking walks in the hot summer time or running with - you can't hardly carry a baby and go out and run

The one I have for walking is an all-terrain stroller that rear faces. I LOVED taking evening walks with DD this summer with my music playing. She'd fall asleep, I'd get a break, and neither of us would be sweating on each other while I was taking my walk in the heat.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I also use the Ergo almost exclusively, but I did buy a stroller so my mother could take DS for walks (she can't use the Ergo).
Old 01-05-2009, 06:19 PM

We have a stroller. I use it sometimes for walks when I don't want to have to worry about/chase my toddler. He goes in the stroller and I wear the baby. I don't think we've ever taken it anywhere, it would be a pain in the butt to lug it around, get in the car, etc.

Is it a must-have? Nope.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leosmommy View Post
ds is 8 months and we never have and never will use a stroller. we are personally against them for many reasons. it works for us because we want it to.

we plan on having 4 to 8 children total, and we will always be a stroller free family. strollers are unnatural and unnecessary to us. please no haters!
What are your reasons for being personally against something as benign (particularly to a parent parenting in an AP-fashion) as a stroller? I'm sure there are SOME folks out there abusing strollers by putting their kids in them unwillingly or for hours at a time, or ignoring them whilst in the stroller, etc... but obviously you wouldn't do any of those things... so what else is there to be against?

When my DD was an infant, I too could have said I'd never use a stroller. I wouldn't have... because I think there are attached ways to use a stroller, but I could see that the potential to say "never" could have been there.

But that was with one child, who was colicky, who needed to be in arms, in motion all the time, and we lived in the middle of the woods, at the bottom of a sandy hill in a very cold climate.
Slings, carriers, when she was tiny, that's all I needed.

Yet, once you have more than one child, depending on your lifestyle (like whether or not you're within walking distance of a playground, and whether or not that playground is across busy roads, or whether or not you routinely travel in a busy city or airports for example), you may find that having a safe place for your older child or children, like a stroller, while in very busy places, while you are slinging the baby, and carrying other things (like luggage & a carseat through an airport or picnic gear to the playground), is actually a really helpful tool.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:

eh, never say never.

There's a lot of things I said I'd do or wouldn't do when I only had one baby.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:

Bolding mine. I'm trying not to laugh. Your entire message is nothing but hating towards strollers - but don't anybody dare 'hate on you' for choosing not to use one. Not to mention you a) have one child and b)said child isn't even a year old yet, and probably not more than 25lbs.

Do you not drive? Because cars are unnatural. Cooked food? Unnatural. Electricity? Unnatural. Internet? Definitely unnatural.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:27 PM

I also mostly use my Ergo or other carriers but I do use my jogging stroller when I go running. Other than that I don't use it.

Eryn, wife to Amy, Mum to Eli, b. 1/9/08 and Willow, b. 5/29/10
Old 01-05-2009, 11:29 PM

leosmommy,
I am no fan of over-using strollers, always slinged my baby in favor of the baby bucket, etc., but I have a question. Hypothetically, let's say you love to go out and run for fitness and/or enjoyment and hypothetically let's say your DH's schedule did not allow you to do so around his schedule. So then do you use a stroller then, or do you give up your running?
I mean, I'd love to have 'never been in a stroller' bragging rights, but then I couldn't also have my 'I've completed a marathon' bragging rights, lol!

User Tag List