can't resell kids items? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 132 Old 01-01-2009, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got this email, is it serious? if so I can't describe how this sucks for us

--------------------------------------------------------------------
After Feb 2009 it will be illegal to consign, resell, and sell items (clothes, toys..ANYTHING) manufactured prior to that date for children under 12 (unless you pay for 3rd party hazardous substance testing). This includes yardsales, e-bay, consignment shops, craft shows, handmade childrens items, etc. The new CPSIA will effect anyone that sells ANY products that can be considered for children. Not just toys and jewelry, but CLOTHING, ROOM DECOR, SCHOOL SUPPLIES, EDUCATIONAL AIDS, ART WORK, ART SUPPLIES, PILLOWS, HAIR BOWS so on & etc. Even HAND-ME-DOWNS as resales or vintage items will be subject to the testing.

To read the whole "brief", 67 pages long, requires some basic law education but you can get the gist of it in the CPSIA's FAQ section: http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/faq/...ml#educational

One, it's great that the legislators are trying to keep childrens products safe from lead and other hazardous substances. BUT, be aware that you will be unable to resell your children's items after February unless you pay to have them tested first. You will be unable to purchase anything except for NEW children's products after Feb 2009, which will be a challenge for many who are in financial crunches. Violators will be subject to fines and jail time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 132 Old 01-01-2009, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What?

Katie
#3 of 132 Old 01-01-2009, 11:28 PM

Who sent you this article?

Are you sure it's not from an organization that wants to derail this legislation?

I'm reading the the FAQ now, I see nothing about yard sales and consignments, just the tightening of regulation and lowering the amount of lead and other hazards that are allowable.

I'd be suspicious of an email that sounds alarmist, and then kicks you to a general part of a very large FAQ that says nothing about what the email's being alarmist about (namely, the big bad government is going to fine you big time for having a yard sale).

I could see this getting dicey for consignment store OWNERS if they're required to certify everything in their store as safe (vs. having a sign or contract people sign saying that the buyers/consigners are responsible for vetting any recalls, ect. vs. the business owner being liable for that).
#4 of 132 Old 01-01-2009, 11:36 PM

Kiddoson, If you look around the web, the consensus is that this will do exactly what it says it will, effectively putting all the small craft business straight out of business. Even larger companies such as Maple Landmark toys in Vermont will probably be unable to meet these standards. The only way for independents to compete will likely be testing co-ops, but even then such laws will unfairly favor large batches from big business manufacturing. Frankly, it is an absurdly fascist law and I'm not even certain it had wholly honorable intentions from the outset. For folks like us who refuse to bow to big business, we'll be thinking outside the box and buying either non toy items like cookware for our daughter, or making our own. We have just officially shot our industry in the foot. Again.
--
AnnaArcturus
#5 of 132 Old 01-01-2009, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How can they regulate garage sales????

I think it is just for sales, not resale.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#6 of 132 Old 01-01-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaArcturus View Post
Kiddoson, If you look around the web, the consensus is that this will do exactly what it says it will, effectively putting all the small craft business straight out of business. Even larger companies such as Maple Landmark toys in Vermont will probably be unable to meet these standards. The only way for independents to compete will likely be testing co-ops, but even then such laws will unfairly favor large batches from big business manufacturing. Frankly, it is an absurdly fascist law and I'm not even certain it had wholly honorable intentions from the outset. For folks like us who refuse to bow to big business, we'll be thinking outside the box and buying either non toy items like cookware for our daughter, or making our own. We have just officially shot our industry in the foot. Again.
--
AnnaArcturus
The OP's question was about resale, not about small craft businesses.

babyf.gif

#7 of 132 Old 01-01-2009, 11:54 PM

I am really upset by this. It is going to really affect the pocket book if I can't go to my local re-sale store to get my kids clothes I can't afford to go out and buy "New" all the time. I love being able to go to my local thrift store to get the high end clothes for cheap. I really feel bad for WAHM like myself and other that will soon not be able to sell our products that we make for kids.

Mom of 2 ** Wife ** Business Owner

#8 of 132 Old 01-01-2009, 11:59 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I don't see all that stuff ending up in a landfill. It will get "passed around" somehow, even if it's not outright resold.

And will ebay just up and die? I don't think so. This sounds like a hoax.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#9 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 12:00 AM

I expect some lawsuits are coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#10 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 12:28 AM

Yes it is real.
There has been a thread on this in the activism forum for a few weeks.

The whole thing is :

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#11 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 12:28 AM

I, personally, take those types of e-mails with a grain of salt. If it was true, wouldn't there be news about it somewhere other than an e-mail that not everyone is getting? I agree with a pp, even if the stuff *isn't* sold, people will still have access to it, either freecycle, or "classifieds" or something else. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#12 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 12:38 AM

There's a thread about this in the activism forum.

Yes, it is serious. They're being rather vague about it in the email, but the law is worded so broadly, that under current interpretation that would be what happens. Because the law is worded that it will be retroactive.

This also effects cloth diapers and pretty much everything for kids under 12.

I urge you all to look into this matter more before blowing it off and not believing it. Because a lot of changes are coming, and unless the interpretations and exceptions are made, they're not all going to be good. While I firmly believe the intention of this law was good, it just got out of hand in the way it was worded. It's very impractical. But it's happening.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#13 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 12:39 AM

This is real and there have been lots of threads on it in different forums on Mothering, including a large one in activism. There are links in that thread to many newspapers, including the Washington Post and The LA Times.
#14 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia View Post
How can they regulate garage sales????

I think it is just for sales, not resale.
Resale is included so far, because the law is retroactive. It's possible that they'll make an exception, but it's not guaranteed that they will.

#15 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcneal View Post
If it was true, wouldn't there be news about it somewhere other than an e-mail that not everyone is getting?
There is. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdaughter View Post
This is real and there have been lots of threads on it in different forums on Mothering, including a large one in activism. There are links in that thread to many newspapers, including the Washington Post and The LA Times.
#16 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 12:46 AM

where did you get the info about consign/resale products?

if it applies to any and all previously manufactured products wouldn't the shelves of every single children's store in America be empty at this point? i think a local new station somewhere would have reported it if this were the case.

my friend owns a kids resale shop and hasn't said anything about it. i'm sure their trade group would be all over this legislation if they were part of it.

from my understanding it applies to all newly manufactured products including handmade in America small business type products.

check out the thread in Activism for links. it's a dumb law regardless.
#17 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 12:48 AM

Um, I don't know what to say ._.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#18 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickywicket67 View Post
including handmade in America small business type products.
And thus signals the end of some of the few places I trust buying toys and clothing items for my son.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#19 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 12:51 AM

Subbing.
#20 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
where did you get the info about consign/resale products?

if it applies to any and all previously manufactured products wouldn't the shelves of every single children's store in America be empty at this point? i think a local new station somewhere would have reported it if this were the case.

my friend owns a kids resale shop and hasn't said anything about it. i'm sure their trade group would be all over this legislation if they were part of it.

from my understanding it applies to all newly manufactured products including handmade in America small business type products.

check out the thread in Activism for links. it's a dumb law regardless.
That would be true if it weren't for the wording of the act. The need for testing for lead levels is currently retroactive. The word retroactive is key.

Yes, I firmly believe the intention of the law was targeted at newly manufactured items, but that's not the way it's worded. And it has to be interpreted and enforced based on it's wording.

It may or may not get an exemption.

From what I've heard a lot of resell shops have no clue this is going on.

And yes, some local news stations around the country have covered this. There was an article about it in Mothering, if I recall correctly. The thing is, so many people are concentrating on the good aspects they're not realizing the huge effects it'll have because of how it's worded.

#21 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grylliade View Post
And thus signals the end of some of the few places I trust buying toys and clothing items for my son.
exactly! i have a lot of friends that make and sell children's products. there is a huge forum on Etsy about it. it's devastating to their businesses.

it's a really stupid misguided law brought about by people over reacting to lead paint. yes. i get it. lead paint should not be on children's toys. lead is a toxic substance. but the backlash in this country from the cases of lead paint on a handful of toys is absolutely ridiculous. people want the government to legislate common sense and personal accountability. it's infuriating.

i run a small family owned shop. i had a customer ask me if a Christmas ornament had lead in it. a fragile glass Christmas ornament. not intended for children. shouldn't she have been worried about a child cutting themselves on the thing before she worried about a child eating it?
so frustratingly stupid.

the lead paint/toy brouhaha is so minor compared to what our children are supposed to have injected into their bodies at every well baby visit. (eyes rolling to the very back of my head.) sorry i had to go there.
#22 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 01:18 AM

No more thrift shops??? No more Value Village???

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#23 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grniys View Post
That would be true if it weren't for the wording of the act. The need for testing for lead levels is currently retroactive. The word retroactive is key.

Yes, I firmly believe the intention of the law was targeted at newly manufactured items, but that's not the way it's worded. And it has to be interpreted and enforced based on it's wording.

It may or may not get an exemption.

From what I've heard a lot of resell shops have no clue this is going on.

And yes, some local news stations around the country have covered this. There was an article about it in Mothering, if I recall correctly. The thing is, so many people are concentrating on the good aspects they're not realizing the huge effects it'll have because of how it's worded.
i just went on the NARTS website there is not a word about it on there and they post recall stuff on there all the time. i don't know what to think. i doubt there will be federal investigators closing down thrift and consignment shops across America.

the law is not being as widely reported as i would expect for as devastating to small business as it will be.
#24 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 01:23 AM

Here's an article about it. And it quotes NARTS.

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/most...4&provider=top

#25 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This law needs to exclude resale and only apply to newly manufactured items.

And, IMO, there should be an exception for businesses that produce less than a certain amount of products per year. This is the real problem with the proposed law- that it's an unfair burdon on small businesses that have never used toxic substances in the first place.

I'm still wondering if there will be loopholes allowing small toy manufacturers to market their items as "collectibles" rather than "toys" and continue to sell their products.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#26 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
i just went on the NARTS website there is not a word about it on there and they post recall stuff on there all the time. i don't know what to think. i doubt there will be federal investigators closing down thrift and consignment shops across America.

the law is not being as widely reported as i would expect for as devastating to small business as it will be.
I am on the mailing list of one of the recall/warning lists, and I haven't heard anything about it. Nothing on any of the news channels here, nothing in the newspapers, NOTHING until I saw this thread. I am just suprised that there is very little being reported about it. (I think I x-posted with the person who initially gave the link to the activism thread.)

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#27 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Here's an article about it. And it quotes NARTS.

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/most...4&provider=top
thanks! for the NARTS link. i did some more research...

that article was from a year ago.

here's a follow up shortly after.
http://www.tampabays10.com/news/colu...96355&catid=79

still a scary dumb law.
#28 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 01:32 AM

http://www.handmadetoyalliance.org/Home

http://nationalbankruptcyday.com/

http://www.playthings.com/article/CA6620437.html
and there is facebook group.

(I haven't heard specifically about resell, this is just general info).
#29 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 01:32 AM

I can't get any of the links to work right now because I'm using the internet on my phone. But am I understanding that I will no longer be allowed to buy used clothing for my child? How on earth are families going to afford basic items for their children?

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#30 of 132 Old 01-02-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcneal View Post
I am on the mailing list of one of the recall/warning lists, and I haven't heard anything about it. Nothing on any of the news channels here, nothing in the newspapers, NOTHING until I saw this thread. I am just suprised that there is very little being reported about it. (I think I x-posted with the person who initially gave the link to the activism thread.)
i feel the same.
i think we need to be concerned about the law and be pro-active as much as we can to help keep our small handmade businesses going in this country.
i don't think it helps to have misinformation going on.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page