BTDT advice on parenting the sensitive child - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-02-2009, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds1 is 31 months and sensitive both physicially and emotionally (ie. doesn't like socks, clothing tags, various food textures, etc.). He's empathetic and bright. He is not a typical "rough and tough" boy. Dh and I accept who he is. I'm just looking for advice. I was a tomboy growing up. My rough and toughness was encouraged. I was also very empathetic and my heart would break for my older brother who wasn't rough and tough. Ds prefers to play alone. He gets scared watching sesame street. He's a terrible sleeper and and eater. He's not a hitter/biter/kicker/scratcher. I worry about him. I want to protect him, but I don't want to "insult" or disrespect him by not trusting him to be ok with life's ups and downs. I feel that Ds is incredibly special, and I feel so blessed to be his mom. I'm having a difficult time putting into words what I mean. I know that parents of a sensitive child knows what I'm trying to say, and I would appreciate any advice and/or insight on how to support him.
#2 of 5 Old 01-02-2009, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi mama, there is alot of info and support here:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...itive+children

Although the thread isn't active right now, there is alot of stuff there.

Good luck

I have a Highly Sensitive son who just turned 5, so we have been through ALOT! Feel free to pm if ya need to

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#3 of 5 Old 01-02-2009, 02:35 PM

DS is pretty sensitive but has kind of gotten a little tougher lately. I so empathize with the clothing tags, socks, and emotions. DS is so sensitive to others emotions it's amazing and sweet.

A book that might help is Raising Your Spirited Child. It's really helped me understand him and myself better and how to handle certain situations.

Mountainsun posted a great link, you shoudl be able to get some good advice there

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#4 of 5 Old 01-02-2009, 02:52 PM

I have a ds a lot like yours. And the main thing I have found is to accept my ds the way he is. Also, he prefers to play with girls, who tend to be more gentle. But not always. There are some pretty rough girls, and he avoids them at all cost,

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#5 of 5 Old 01-02-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. Talk about hitting the nail on the head. Thank you everyone for your replies and resource suggestions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page