A question for parent's of summer newborns - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was working on dd's 1st year photo montage. She was born June 8. I remember the hospital being HOT. There are more photo's of her in a onezie than in a blanket, at the hospital the day of birth. (I was completely knocked up on morphine after a CS so don't remember too much...and most of this was out of my control anyway).

At home, I didn't have the AC on and the house was hot. We had a box fan in the window blowing on us at night. Almost all of her newborn photo's, she's in a diaper or onezie. Never a blanket. I never swadled her. She absoluely hated being swadled. She fought that tooth and nail.

Anyway, I was looking though her newborn photo's and started feeling really bad. Like neglectful. I know the general rule of thumb is to not dress your baby any warmer than you. That's what I went on when she was a newborn (it was super hot). Everyone told me to cover (bundle) her up (in the heat in my house/outside). I refused, saying it was too hot. When I took her into a place with air conditioning, I dressed her like me and refused to "bundle" her up, as everyone who saw us told me to bundle her. Looking back, I feel awful and feel like I was an awful new mom. Every newborn photo I see, they're all bundled up/swadled.

So, parent's of summer babies? What did you do? (DD's 19 months now and she's healthy and growing like a weed so I couldn't have messed up that bad, right? But it really has me curious. I have a co worker who had a new grandbaby in the middle of the hot summer--they kept hats and long sleeves on him).

ETA: I'm talking about newborns. Not infants. If there is much of a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 09:41 AM

I never put my July baby in more than a onesie unless we were somewhere with air conditioning, or she was outside in the sun. Outside in the sun I left her in a onesie, but protected her from teh sun by putting a very lightweight blanket over her.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#3 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 10:46 AM

same as the above poster. DD was always just in a diaper or onesie -- it was just too hot!!
#4 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 10:53 AM

Same here. I get cold in the AC, so I just assumed DD would too and dressed her accordingly. If we were home, outside or somewhere where there was no AC, she was in a onesie or a summer type outfit. There were a few days when it was pretty chilly here for summer that year and I had to find some pants for her, but other than that she was barely dressed.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#5 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 11:01 AM

DD was born in July and it was sooo hot and humid. I kept her in a onesie or sundress. Of course I had to crank our ac which isn't that great to begin with. She really seemed to have issues with the heat she was always very red in the face and pimply/rashy too. Maybe just a newborn thing? Anyway, she was definitely a "cool" baby lol!!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#6 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 12:08 PM

My July baby was in a onesie with a light cotton blanket most days. If the AC was cranking, a onesie with cotton pants.

My mom thought the fact that I didn't swaddle him was bizarre. He didn't enjoy being swaddled though. So I gave up.
#7 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 12:14 PM

My end of May baby wore onesies a lot- he also wore those little cotton pants too. At night he was in long sleeve pjs in the beginning. Here it doesn't get super hot until July. Once July hit many days he would hang out in a dipe and tee shirt.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#8 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 12:15 PM

My late-June DD was ALWAYS in a onsie or a diaper. She's like me, though, she liked being "covered," especially when she slept (I just cannot sleep without covers on), so she got a really lightweight receiving blanket. I rarely swaddled her, except when we were at church. For some reason, the elderly people kept it about -10 in there. But in almost every picture we have of her, except maybe 2, she's in a onsie or diaper.

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

Mom to 6 hippie.gif('01), jammin.gif ('02), superhero.gif('07), bouncy.gif ('09), energy.gif ('09), diaper.gif ('10)

homeschool.gif

#9 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 12:17 PM

My June baby wore mostly those little gowns. They were long sleeved but only because they were hand me downs from my March baby. Once the cord came off, he was in mainly onesies. I did keep blankets around for cold a/c or if we were outside, but I always dressed my kids like I was unless they showed signs of being cold or hot.
#10 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 12:26 PM

Heck no to bundling here. I have an August baby and a June baby in Houston.

Short sleeve onsies or shirts in the A/C.

-Angela
#11 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 12:27 PM

DS #1 was born in Germany where AC is practically unheard of. That was a super hot summer, so he was in a diaper most days. He very rarely had a blanket of any sort and slept with nothing more than a onesie and the windows wide open to catch any breeze that was out there.

I was sitting in front of the fan sweating and wearing as little clothing as possible. I couldn't have dressed by baby in anything more than a onesie. He still hates wearing clothes to this day, so maybe it made an impression.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#12 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 12:31 PM

Why would you feel neglectful for dressing your newborn appropriately? Swaddling or covering in blankets makes NO sense if it's 90 degrees! It sounds like you did exactly the right thing.

Besides, what could be cuter than a newborn in a onesie?

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#13 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ds was born in May, in Florida, and we rarely left the house for the first couple of months. He was in a diaper and a onesie, always. When we did go out I dressed him accordingly, if we were going to be in the AC, etc, I dressed him in long sleeves and pants.

I think what you did was fine. There is no rule that says that newborns HAVE to be bundled. If it's hot, it's hot, you know?

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#14 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 12:42 PM

I only ever swaddled DS at night, or when napping, because he had to wear the biliblanket 24/7 the first 2 weeks of his life. Whenever he was awake, he was just in diaper, lying in my lap, on top of the biliblanket, or in a onsie. Outside, i'd put him in a onsie, in my solerveil sling. Every other carrier was FAR too hot.

Not neglectful.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#15 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 12:48 PM

My DD and DS2 were summer newborns and they usually just wore onesies or those one piece summer rompers you see everywhere.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#16 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 12:59 PM

You're not terrible & you didn't neglect her.

I don't have summer babies, but I was one. I was born in July, my mom smoked(relevant). I was in a undershirt, cloth diaper, sleeper, 2 receiving blankets & another blanket. My mother otoh was in a tank top & short shorts. With what we know of SIDS, I have no idea how i lived.lol
#17 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 01:03 PM

i very rearely swaddled my ds, he was born may 30, it was HOT and we don't have air conditioning. AND the birth center where he was didn't have a/c either so, that day, he was either naked w/ a light blanket on his back or a very light cotton onesie. at home it was always just a diaper or just a onesie.
my mom was always bugging me to cover him up. he just started wearing pants in november

#18 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 01:20 PM

I had two summer babies and put them in light cotton sleepers and a light receiving blanket at first. Then switched to a onesie when they were a bit older. Most all of our houses have airconditioning, so it wasn't real warm in our homes. I couldn't bear to not wrap up those skinny little bare limbs! It was also easier (for me) to handle a swaddled baby - not as floppy.
#19 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 01:23 PM

My JANUARY baby spent much of his babyhood in a onesie or even just a diaper because our apartment building was so stiflingly hot. When he went outside, I dressed him for the weather, but inside I felt like more clothing would have been unbearable.
#20 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dd was born in September but it was 95 the day we brought her home from the hospital. If we were leaving the house, I put on little knit pants but never a blanket or long sleeves.
#21 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 01:31 PM

My last two were born in August and July. No swaddling here for sure. Most early photos are of babes in onesies in a moses basket, no blankets unless they were in the room with a/c on. It's not neglectful at all!

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#22 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 01:49 PM

DS was in diapers only in a lot of his newborn pics.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#23 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov'sMom View Post
My JANUARY baby spent much of his babyhood in a onesie or even just a diaper because our apartment building was so stiflingly hot. When he went outside, I dressed him for the weather, but inside I felt like more clothing would have been unbearable.
DS was born in Feb and he was the same way - just a hot baby.

love.gif

#24 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 04:06 PM

DS was in diapers only for the first few weeks of life, until my sister said "Why is your baby naked every time I see him."

Then I felt embarassed and started putting outfits on him.

But he's still a nudist.

Mama to Smith, born 7/13/2008
#25 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 04:08 PM

Same here as other posters... August baby in Maryland (HOT and HUMID!). He was swaddled in a little cotton receiving blanket and wore either a onesie or a diaper underneath.

You were not neglectful at all.
#26 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 04:10 PM

DS2 was born end of July. He almost never wore anything more than a onesie, and Vancouver is nowhere near as hot as many places. I rarely left him without a onesie, just because I sweat a lot, and I had trouble getting a comfortable grip on him when he was naked...he'd slip and slide too much. When it got cooler, he liked being swaddled okay, but he's the only one of my kids who did. DS1 (March) was okay with swaddling, as long as his left arm was free. DD never tolerated it. I sometimes wanted to smack one of the maternity nurses who kept insisting on swaddling her up, even though she'd scream bloody murder until I got her undone.

If your dd was comfortable, then why worry?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#27 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 04:14 PM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
You sound like a great mom.
#28 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 04:25 PM

Onsies and diapers around here too for my end of May baby. He needed to be swaddled to sleep though so we'd swaddle him wearing only a diaper and the blanket and then turn up the AC. So silly.

I remember going to visit family in Maine towards the end of the summer. They live on the water and it was chilly! It was so strange to see my babe fully dressed!
#29 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 PM

dd was born in july, 115 outside, so, no she was never "bundled" and hated swattling, too! but almost always had a onesie on... and she got nakie time a lot. if it's hot, it's hot, don't feel bad. i would have felt bad if i was bundling her up!
#30 of 51 Old 01-07-2009, 06:44 PM

DS was born June 18th. Our hospital was cold so he was kept bundled or skin to skin with me while there. Once we got home we had him in the AC so he had either sleepers or outfits on if we were getting ready to go out. He was NEVER swaddled but did have a pretty warm blanket he slept with and still does now (I know it was a no no but he slept on his belly cause it was the only way he'd sleep so I never worried about it) If he got warm while out if we weren't in AC I thought nothing of stripping him to just a diaper as earlier as about 2 weeks old (first time we were out of the ac lol) I never worried about a blanket unless we were going to be outside and that was mostly to keep the sun off so it was the lightest one I could get my hands on.

Wife (32) to DH (33) Mom to DS 2 and Twin DD's born 8/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page