Any French Speaking Moms? Especially any familiar with Leap Frog products on Canadian websites - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-09-2009, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for French speaking Moms that can help me figure out a cost effective way to find French editions for the following: Little Touch, My First Leap Pad, and Leap Pad.

I have seen the French edition of Leap Pad and books/cartridges on Ebay but they are kind of expensive. And I have seen the books/cartridges for one Little Touch title and a few My First titles on the US Leap Frog site, and it looks like they are on clearance, but they don't have the toy to play them on. I spoke with Customer Service yesterday and she says the Leap Pad French edition has been discontinued. I think she is referring to all three versions.

While I can't read French, it doesn't look like any of these are on the French Leap Pad site. But there are a number of French toy sites that have them and they seem cheaper than what I'm seeing on Ebay, not to mention that there is more variety.

Aside from the fact that I'm uncertain of the security on these sites, they aren't intuitive enough to figure out how to navigate and buy something without being able to read French.

So, if anyone can point me towards a reputable French/English site that may still have these in stock --and if I'm really lucky-- at clearance prices, I would be very grateful.

~Cath
#2 of 14 Old 01-11-2009, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
~Cath
#3 of 14 Old 01-11-2009, 12:35 PM

Hi!

I read a bit of French but I'm not fluent. I'd probably be able to navigate you through the site if no one who is fluent posts. Are you looking for good French programs? I could ask the french teacher at my school if she know of any

slingtwin.gifMontessori teacher working part time and trying to keep up with the kiddos. blowkiss.gif DD1 (June 08)ROTFLMAO.gif DS1 (June 10)love.gif DD2 (June 10)

#4 of 14 Old 01-11-2009, 01:05 PM

Have you tried Amazon?

You could check their Canadian site, I bet they would have things in French.

Or Amazon.fr, but the shipping would be higher, and the euro/dollar rate isn't in your favor.
#5 of 14 Old 01-11-2009, 01:13 PM

I can help you with French stuff. Tell me exactly what you want (cause maybe I'm not reading your post properly and I don't fully understand what you're asking), and I can help you out. I don't see how they could discontinue the French.
Have you heard of V-tech, because they do French talking/singing electronic books. You could try www.toyrus.ca If you live near or in Quebec, you could go to toy store and get the stuff there.

Alice
#6 of 14 Old 01-11-2009, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie063008 View Post
Hi!

I read a bit of French but I'm not fluent. I'd probably be able to navigate you through the site if no one who is fluent posts. Are you looking for good French programs? I could ask the french teacher at my school if she know of any
I may take you up on the offer to interpret something if I ever get a recommendation for a Canadian website. As far as language programs, we are using the BBCs "Muzzy" video series and I have a bunch of books and I have a recommendation for another program I will look into at some point.

Unfortunately, I work full time and don't have time to learn enough French to read beyond a very basic level, let alone read with them. They watch too much TV but I don't mind the Muzzy videos since I feel like at least they are learning something different but at this point I think they need something a little more engaging or interactive, at least as a supplement.

Thanks,
~Cath
#7 of 14 Old 01-11-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylizah View Post
Have you tried Amazon?

You could check their Canadian site, I bet they would have things in French.

Or Amazon.fr, but the shipping would be higher, and the euro/dollar rate isn't in your favor.
Marylizah,
There is very little on Amazon/CA. There seems to be a little more on Amazon/FR but not very much for any one product. And in addition to the exchange rate I imagine the cost of shipping would be prohibitively expensive.
Thanks,
~Cath
#8 of 14 Old 01-11-2009, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceGeorge View Post
I can help you with French stuff. Tell me exactly what you want (cause maybe I'm not reading your post properly and I don't fully understand what you're asking), and I can help you out. I don't see how they could discontinue the French.
Have you heard of V-tech, because they do French talking/singing electronic books. You could try www.toyrus.ca If you live near or in Quebec, you could go to toy store and get the stuff there.

Alice
Alice,
I should have specified, I live in the U.S., in the Boston, MA area. I did try Toys R US / Canada website with no luck.
Thanks,
~Cath
#9 of 14 Old 01-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Maybe you could try posting in the Canada Tribe area, there would no doubt be French speakers, and parents of French immersion students there who might have done this already. My Mom is a librarian and can order a lot of French education stuff for us through publishers, not sure if a library would be able to access something for you?
#10 of 14 Old 01-12-2009, 12:29 AM

Depending on where you are in canada(i read that you aren't), it's even hard for us to buy french items like leap frog and v-tech.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#11 of 14 Old 01-12-2009, 12:24 PM

hi there,
I live in Montreal and speak French fluently.
I checked on the Babies R Us site, in French, and found a bunch of Leap Frog products:
http://www.toysrus.ca/shop/index.jsp...2&locale=fr_CA

Also, you could look at Kijiji Montreal to find second hand Leap Frog toys; many of the users of Kijiji (another kind of Craigslist) are French speakers.
#12 of 14 Old 01-12-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfasianmomma View Post
hi there,
I checked on the Babies R Us site, in French, and found a bunch of Leap Frog products:

Also, you could look at Kijiji Montreal to find second hand Leap Frog toys; many of the users of Kijiji (another kind of Craigslist) are French speakers.
I have tried both the "Toys" and "Babies" R Us sites. There are very few products for any of the three Leap Pad units.

I did try the Quebec Craigs list with no luck. When I have a chance I will try Kijiji Montreal.

I have stumbled across a few French sites that have a good selection but navigating with my non existent French skills is too difficult. If I could find a large enough lot, with a decent number books/cartridges, it might be worth trying to figure it out. But trying to piecemeal the unit and three or four games would be a nightmare.

BTW, I think the LeapPad line has been replaced by "Tag". The system with the books and the computer pen. Apparently it's less cumbersome so it's more portable but you have to download the "books" to the pen and it only holds 5 at a time.

I don't know if it is available in French yet.
~Cath
#13 of 14 Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfasianmomma View Post
hi there,

Half',
Thanks for the tip. I did look in the Kijiji site and have sent three emails and gotten one reply. It doesn't look like it's going to be a smooth process but I'm optimistic that I'll be able to pick up at least one system and 3 to 4 titles.

Interestingly, I found more on the Montreal page than the Quebec page so that was a helpful suggestion.
~Cath
#14 of 14 Old 01-14-2009, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPixie View Post
Maybe you could try posting in the Canada Tribe area, there would no doubt be French speakers, and parents of French immersion students there who might have done this already. My Mom is a librarian and can order a lot of French education stuff for us through publishers, not sure if a library would be able to access something for you?
NP,
Thanks. That's a great idea.

A neighboring school system has a French Immersion (FI) program. I was thinking of looking into whether they would accept her as an out of town student. If I could easily afford it we could simply move but I really like the town we live in and due to budget constraints they have been talking about eliminating the FI program ,so I woudn't want to move for that reason alone.

And it's really important that they start at the first grade, otherwise you need to be tested to see if you are performing at the grade level you would be entering.

~Cath

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page