bathtime help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2009, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dd is afraid of going down the drain i think. i never drain with her in the tub since this fear began. dont know what caused it but I try to co-bathe with her when i can. i tell her only water can go down the drain. she cries IM SORRY IM SORRY over and over again for most of her bath... it breaks my heart and I just keep telling her - don't be sorry. you didnt do anything wrong. we are almost done. only water can go down the drain. etc.

strangely, she asks to take a bath like 3-4 times a day. she is fine until she knows the bath is almost over.

any suggestions? this is breaking my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 05:48 PM

what about one of those inflateable tubs you put inside the tub? it might be worth a try. i don't know how big your bathroom is, but if you have the room, a really small kiddy pool might make her more comfortable.

or how about showering with her instead?

another thing is to let her drain the water herself. maybe show her the water draining in the sink after she washes her hands?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

thanks! I will try the water draining thing... no room for a pool, and she hates the shower. Co Bathing would really be the solution to this, but isnt practical with a special needs 3 1/2 year old and a 7 month old as well... I don't have time to take a shower until the older 2 are in bed and my DH is awake and able to watch the baby while I shower if he wakes up. I do sometimes co sleep with my youngest when the older 2 are in bed - but that doesnt really resolve the issues with my dd... unless I bathe her after I put my oldest to bed? that could be a solution to that problem, but probably create another problem in itself as we finally found an ideal bedtime routing... thanks for the reply!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:08 PM

There are round plastic or silicone disks that fit over the drain, too. Maybe if you covered it up it would help her feel more secure?

Good luck~I'm sure it's heartbreaking.

Jennifer
Old 01-10-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

im off to look for something like tht now, thank you!

its heart breaking enough when they cry, but with her screaming Im sorry im sorry im sorry! There is never a time any child of mine should feel like they need to cry im sorry like that makes me feel like I did something wrong. I don't even push the "apology" issue, I hate that she feels this way
Old 01-10-2009, 06:23 PM

Oh, you didn't do anything wrong. :

If you can't find one, feel free to send me a PM. I've seen them here at Target, so if needed I can pick one up for you.

Jennifer
Old 01-10-2009, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

thanks! I will check target too... I see some online that are really cute as well... litle turtle and fish covers... I may try this and tell her that it will make sure NOTHING goes down the drain until everyone gets out of the bathtub

User Tag List