Mothering Forum banner

Have you ever wanted to play with your LO's toys but they were playing with them??

898 views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  celia 
#1 ·
Just being silly, but the other day in the bath (taking a bath with my dd) I was playing with some cups that had different size slits in them, and my dd was playing with the big one. I wanted to see how the big one compared with the two I had, but she was playing with it!! I didn't get to do my little experiment until the next bath.
Anyone else like their kids' toys, maybe a little TOO much??

See less See more
#2 ·
Um, well there was a time when DD would come up to me with her hands on her hips and say "Papa, were you playing with my toys without asking again?"

#4 ·

my DH loves bath toys... i'm seriously going to show him this thread when he gets home!

he likes to try to fit things inside of other thing, or make them have "zero gravity (float in the middle of the water) or tries to get the balls to stay in the cups when he drops them from up high... he even calls them experiments! hehee

i swear, i don't know who likes bathtime more, DH or DD!

#5 ·
Yes. Both my DS (9mos) and my students' toys. Whenever my students get to use the geometric shape blocks as a center, it's really hard for me not to plop down next to them and start playing. It's just so soothing, for me at least, to make radially symmetrical "quilt" patterns.

#8 ·
Yeah - I will be trying to put together one of Sam's puzzles and I get frustrated when he keeps taking the pieces away. I have to remind myself that it is his toy and my job is to play with him, with the toy - not to hog the toy
When he gets into lego's or lincoln logs - watch out!!!

#12 ·
I had to send DH to another room when he wouldn't share a new firetruck with DS

I am only slightly kidding. DH did not want to let DS run off with the new truck and there was a bit of back and forth until I stepped in.

#14 ·
I do this too but mostly when a new toy gets open! I want to see how it works too!
They get so mad at me. I end up having to wait till they go to bed- that is if they don't take them w/them!

Also when I feel like building w/the legos and get them out that's when mine what to play too- never untill then either. I try to share nicely.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
My son's Legos. I had to stop myself from taking over his castle project.

And my daughter's American Girl doll. I like to dress her.
Well, I don't get to dress dd anymore!

These were two of my favorite toys growing up so I can totally see myself doing that in a few years! I have my Legos and AG doll put away for the future. Right now I have a lot of fun building with DS's blocks even after he has moved on to other toys.

#16 ·
The kid's not even born yet (and of course won't old enough for the "cool toys" for a couple years), but DH and I keep stopping by the toy aisle to drool at the fun things we'll be getting her in a few years. If there's something really cool we think may not exist by the time our daughter will be old enough to play with it, we'll buy it and save it.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherry Alive View Post
The kid's not even born yet (and of course won't old enough for the "cool toys" for a couple years), but DH and I keep stopping by the toy aisle to drool at the fun things we'll be getting her in a few years. If there's something really cool we think may not exist by the time our daughter will be old enough to play with it, we'll buy it and save it.

That's funny! Hey, you're going to have a baby soon! Congratulations!!!

I volunteered as big sister some years ago, and I was so excited to have a "kid's movie" movie buddy, but they matched me with a kid who didn't really want to go to the movies. Oh well. I'm glad there are other parents who like to play with their kids' toys!!

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeighB View Post
i do that with books! She wants me to read her a book and then chooses another one halfway through. I want to finish the first one, darn it!

And MIL TOTALLY plays with toys more than DD did for a long time. She'd first play with DD like SHE was a babydoll, pushing her around her house in a stroller... then we even had to remind her not to snatch toys out of DD's hands to play with them "for" DD
. Terrible! But now DD is all into make-believe and they make quite a pair together.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeighB View Post
i do that with books! She wants me to read her a book and then chooses another one halfway through. I want to finish the first one, darn it!
This is totally me. Or DS just wants to flip the pages, so I can't read fast enough to keep up with him. That leaves us either wrestling over the pages or, since I know every word to most every book we own, I just continue to recite the story while he moves on to something else. Looks pretty funny either way...

#21 ·
Yes!

I like to put Eloisa's toys away after she's gone to bed, (the excuse is that I'm tidying) and sometimes it takes a bit longer than it should because I like to make sure all the little dolls are in "in order". --But I think it's just an excuse to play.

I honestly can't wait 'til she is big enough for playing Barbies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.