Distasteful Birthday "Traditions" - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2009, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maylanna View Post
Geez! My daughter would have freaked! She cried at her first birthday b/c she got icing on her fingers and it wouldn't come off and she didn't like the taste. She still won't eat cake.
Yay! Sounds like my kind of gal!

Smashing a cake in a baby's face: if I'd been there I'd have been shaking with shock and anger and probably wouldn't have said anything. I'd probably be speechless.

Smash cakes: a whole mini cake just for the baby to make a mess of? :shiver: Not my thing. I guess I'm neurotic.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Never heard of the cake thing--we never had one just to mess with either (my parents weren't big on wasting food).

I definitely remember the birthday spankings. We did them in school, or maybe Sunday school, but I remember being part of the group watching and counting up the numbers. There was always a "pinch to grow an inch" at the end, too. Whose bright idea was that?

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
Old 02-09-2009, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We let DD1 destroy half of her 1st birthday cake, and then the adults ate the other half of it.

I didn't really have birthday parties for my next 2 kids when they turned 1; after DD1's party (which was truly more for the adults than for the baby), I held off on birthday parties before age 3 when the child was old enough to appreciate it. Maybe I baked a cake for the immediate family when the other kids turned 1 and when all of them turned 2?

The only "birthday spankings" my kids have ever had was from friends around their own age. It's not something we do in our family.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 02-10-2009, 06:08 AM

Yesterday was my birthday and my mom introduced the concept of birthday spankings to my 3.5yr old ASD child. Not a good idea. We've been working so hard to get her to stop hitting and today she got the green light. My dd didn't get the context at all, she just spent the day trying to slap my face. I explained to my mom why this was a bad idea, but it was too late as the words were already out of her mouth.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSerene View Post
Yesterday was my birthday and my mom introduced the concept of birthday spankings to my 3.5yr old ASD child. Not a good idea. We've been working so hard to get her to stop hitting and today she got the green light. My dd didn't get the context at all, she just spent the day trying to slap my face. I explained to my mom why this was a bad idea, but it was too late as the words were already out of her mouth.
: Irritated on your behalf.

ASD = autism spectrum disorder?

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:19 PM

This is a tradition that is more common in other countries. In Mexico, after blowing out the candles, the birthday boy/girl makes a wish and then leans in to take a bite out of the cake. At that point of course someone pushes their head down a little to "help" them get a big bite and better odds of having their wish come true.

Honestly, every time I've seen it done, it has always been a gentle push because nobody wants to eat cake that has a big ol' nose print on it.

Can't say I care for the tradition, but I did want to let you know that 1) it's common and 2) it's not meant to be cruel.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

User Tag List