ADD Support Thread II - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 602 Old 08-23-2009, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
I wanna know, how does *anyone* with more than one kid get *anything* done? I'm either :yawning: or :!
Couldn't have said it better. I really just can't figure it out. I didn't really figure it out with just one... but I almost felt like I was starting to get things figured out.
Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#542 of 602 Old 08-23-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
You're too funny--what kind of intro do you think we did?
My dad and mom are both packrats, and my dad is a lot like me.

I wanna know, how does *anyone* with more than one kid get *anything* done? I'm either :yawning: or :!
TV.

Also, letting them jump on the bed.
#543 of 602 Old 08-23-2009, 11:41 AM

Hmm, bed gets me 15 minutes.
TV might get me 2 hours with my oldest... and then I pay for it the rest of the day. Little one is not intersted in the boob tube, but I can just let her nurse. She's a pirahna, so even that's not much of an answer.
They are starting to play well together for 20 minutes at a time on occasion.

The problem for my ADD brain is I need big chunks of time to accomplish anything- and my internet escapes only make it even easier to use up my 20 minutes of peace.

Off to clean up the house... and try to figure out when to do some writing work... Uugh, my worst thing, but I need to get it started.
Jessica

Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#544 of 602 Old 08-23-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
... but I almost felt like I was starting to get things figured out.
Jessica

yup, I perpetually almost have it figured out.

yeah, I have to watch them like a hawk when they're together. Ds1 is having a hard time being gentle with his little brother.

the only time I get anything done is when ds2 is napping.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#545 of 602 Old 08-23-2009, 05:13 PM

Hi everyone. My name is Stacy, and I am starting to suspect that I have ADHD. My son definitely does, he has been recently diagnosed at age 4. He was different from the beginning, and has a lot of troubles with impulsiveness and hyperactivity, and is so, so spacey. He seems to perfectly fit all the descriptors. We are trying stimulant meds for him, and we all are having a much easier, happier time. Him especially. It is nice to have so much more in the way of positive interactions, and he seems much happier.

We are a homeschooling family, and every aspect of that has worked out much better with him on meds.

Anyway, in researching and reading about ADHD, I am finding that I think I have it. So strange, because I never realized it before. That also makes me wonder if it do have it, or if I'm reaching for answers to my "laziness", and troubles getting things done. I have always done well at school, and did manage to jump through the hoops of the educational system well. But, I learn quickly and easily, and went to fairly "easy" schools, and was a hands-on art major in college.

I don't know what to do with this information. I have been able to accomplish much of what I set out to do, even though I can see ADHD traits in the way I am and in what I have done in my past. If I could be more productive, I could feel more on top of all the tasks I have to do at home, with the kids, and in homeschooling. Should I get evaluated? Is there any point to that? What are some things I should read that is good for adults with ADHD? Are there any things I can try to improve my symptoms? Any direction would be helpful! Thanks in advance. I'll start reading through the thread in my free time. There's only about a billion pages!

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
#546 of 602 Old 08-23-2009, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, Stacy!

Yeah, we should probably start ADD 3 soon... maybe when we reach 30 pages.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#547 of 602 Old 08-24-2009, 10:04 PM

28 pages of ADD-ness!!! :

oh dear. . . . :

well, Hi stacy! : I wrote anice post and then walked away from the computer. . . . .lets' see, where was I?

Oh, I read a few books on adult ADD/ADHD when I frst was diagnosed. Why not go exploring in an actual bookstore or library?

As for improving things. . .some of us are on meds, some are not. I have been, but am not. sInce many of us are nursing, preggo(?), or TTC, meds are a somewhat limited option. I have my own vitamn/herb/caffeine regimen that I have maintianed through two pregnancies, and two nurslings.

On a side note, Milo is 10 and 1/2 months old!!! I need to plan his first Birthday party!!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#548 of 602 Old 08-24-2009, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi Stacy!

I cannot answer whether you should get an evaluation. There are good things and bad things about being diagnosed with ADHD (or any syndrome). Some good things: you can focus your research and therapy. It can be a huge relief to know why things are the way they are. A bad thing: if you're like me you can get hung up on the fact that you have 'syndrome' and let it become an excuse.

Books that helped me:

You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?

The Girl's Guide to ADHD This one is aimed at teen girls, but was still helpful to me.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#549 of 602 Old 08-25-2009, 11:01 PM

Thanks Sara, Heidirk, and journeymom, I appreciate your comments. I will look for the books mentioned, and keep trying to get myself figured out. I don't think I really need a diagnosis or meds, as I have been pretty successful in the past. However, it may be helpful for me to have my potential ADHD in mind when thinking about what to do next, and to know that I may be weighing things "incorrectly", so I can outhink myself in my own little game and hopefully be more productive.

And my little ADHD guy is so amazing. Never a dull moment with him! He is one of the most interesting people I know!

I look forward to reading and hopefully participating more here!

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
#550 of 602 Old 08-26-2009, 11:36 AM

you're right that's probably the best part of knowing yourself, is knowing how to del with what you see and feel. It is freeing to be able to say., OK, I know this about me, so this is what I need to do. Instead of bashing your head against wall after wall wondering why things are so easy for everyone else!

can we play this game today? I need some motivation/accountablility-

SO far I've-
picked tom,atos
swept the kitchen floor
vaccuumed the spot where ds2's highchair sits
played outside with kids
got ds1 dressed w/o a wrestling match
and everyone has had breakfast and vitamins and i have my coffee.
ds1 has even had a snack.
folded the clean laundry

I need to do these things today-
wash diapers
cook tomatos down for later
check kids nails for clipping
hhhmmmm there was something else. . .
I'd really like to clean and vacuum ds1's room.

What's everyone else up to?

Niemals Gewalt
#551 of 602 Old 08-26-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Heidi, you've been so productive!

My goals for today are to make it to my 6:30 playdate and to eat 3 meals and not throw up.

So far, DS has had dried papaya, one of his teething biscuits, and an organic berry granola bar. I consider the morning a success.

I think I'm going to watch "Singin' in the Rain" and crochet. That shouldn't get me sick. I'm running out of movies to watch, and Netflix is too slow.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#552 of 602 Old 08-26-2009, 01:43 PM

What?! Did I totally miss that, Sara? Yay!

I thought I posted a reply, mostly said what Journeymom said.

Okay, Heidi, I'll play. . .
make lunch
be ready to leave for mtg at 1:45
mail books
email book club
wash dipes
brush DD1's teeth
clear table (lol, that is on my list every.single.time)
load dishwasher

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#553 of 602 Old 08-26-2009, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

You didn't miss it - I just put it in my signature and didn't announce it. Being a little wary this time around.

#554 of 602 Old 08-26-2009, 02:37 PM

OK, I have cut toenails on all four tiny feet. (ds1&2)

I made lunch, and after several false starts, Mlo is napping.
Henry had his quiet time, and the diapers are in the washer.

As much as I really want to get those tomatos going, I need to log into class first and read and reply to some posts. That's how I get my attendance in.

dinner may have to be pizza tonight.

alyse- hope you got off to your meeting!

sara, stay well! (crystallised ginger!!!)
I didn't know you crochet? or are you just learning?

Niemals Gewalt
#555 of 602 Old 08-26-2009, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
OK, I have cut toenails on all four tiny feet. (ds1&2)

I made lunch, and after several false starts, Mlo is napping.
Henry had his quiet time, and the diapers are in the washer.

As much as I really want to get those tomatos going, I need to log into class first and read and reply to some posts. That's how I get my attendance in.

dinner may have to be pizza tonight.

alyse- hope you got off to your meeting!

sara, stay well! (crystallised ginger!!!)
I didn't know you crochet? or are you just learning?
Toby's (finally) napping, too. After this huge, dramatic, blow-out, "I'm so tiiiiiiiiiiiiired but I won't sleeeeeeeeeeeeep" breakdown. He got it from me, though, so I can't really complain.

Mmm... pizza sounds good.

Crystallized ginger for sickness? Yeah, I've got a bit of candied ginger from Thanksgiving in the cabinet. It hasn't gotten that bad yet - I just woke up sick and I haven't felt like eating today (but I'm making myself eat).

I crochet and knit - kinda-sorta. I suck at reading patterns, so I generally make it up as I go - so the things I make aren't too complicated. Right now I'm making dischcloths for the (December) holidays to give to people as gifts. Let's hope I can keep this momentum through the fall so I'll have enough to give out.

#556 of 602 Old 08-26-2009, 03:34 PM

AND Milo is awake.

As much as I enjoy being in class, I can hardly wait for it to be over s I can stop feeling guilty no matter how I spend my time. ::::
::

I'm glad Toby is napping, sara- try to sleep yourself.

Niemals Gewalt
#557 of 602 Old 08-26-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Toby's awake too.

#558 of 602 Old 08-26-2009, 04:22 PM

and Henry is asleep.:

Niemals Gewalt
#559 of 602 Old 08-26-2009, 10:34 PM

I heard a funny thing last night... A speaker said that the average person has about 4 hours of time per day that they can devote to their 'things'... choosing between tv, reading a book, working on a project... etc. etc. etc.
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Ah, I think the truth is that before kids I can kind of see that.... it was an ADD talk, so the points they made about choosing wisely what we do with that free time were very relevant... Also she made the point that the average ADD'er thinks they can squeeze way more in 4 hours than they can... and takes on many more project etc (and probably asks for help less) etc. etc. all valid. And we tend to procrastinate and do everything else but what is most important...
No wonder I have such a hard time NOW as a parent. Not only did I lose my 4 hours, but I gained 2 people to take care of. Plus since I seem to need large chuncks to 'do' any of my 'difficult' tasks I'm lost even further.
Oops, that was my semi-free 15 minutes... gone checking online. Now off to cool off in the shower with little one and hope she falls asleep quickly.

Jessica

#560 of 602 Old 08-27-2009, 02:14 AM

FOUR HOURS!!!!?????

no, really?

I haven't had four hours to do anything since ds1 was born!

Niemals Gewalt
#561 of 602 Old 08-27-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Total hooey. Maybe if I lived in a world where DH was around more, I wasn't working (let's face it - I barely am able to work now), and we weren't remodeling a home and I didn't have a baby.

4 hours. Pffffffffft. I just took my first private shower in 15 months today.

#562 of 602 Old 08-27-2009, 04:10 PM

Well, I am pleased to say that I accomplished quite a bit yesterday. As in, Diaprs made it all the way through the wash in 12 hours, soak thru dried!
And I picked mpore tomatoes,. and I have enough to make a half batch of my Gram's famous tomato soup and c an it. I'll be cooking down tomatos today, I think.

I had a long list of things I wanted to get done today, bt my mother's helper never came, and so I had to lay some things aside. Oh, I got the Pack n play taken down, and soem clothes sorted ready to go into the attic.

Later, I got my two essays done and posted with 4 minutes to spare.

I am amazed at how well, ds1 and ds2 enteratian each other. Milo really palys well for ten minutes or so, by himself, and then i can chat with Henry while I accomplish sometyhing.

List for today-

Shower (privately)
a load or two of laundry
get tomatos cut up, and cooking
make dinner.
squeeze in some class time.

Then it's off to knitting circle. . .(which is at 6:30 at Barnes and Noble if you want to come Sara) I think thisweek I earned it.

Niemals Gewalt
#563 of 602 Old 08-27-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, I am pleased to say that I accomplished quite a bit yesterday. As in, Diaprs made it all the way through the wash in 12 hours, soak thru dried!
And I picked mpore tomatoes,. and I have enough to make a half batch of my Gram's famous tomato soup and c an it. I'll be cooking down tomatos today, I think.

I had a long list of things I wanted to get done today, bt my mother's helper never came, and so I had to lay some things aside. Oh, I got the Pack n play taken down, and soem clothes sorted ready to go into the attic.

Later, I got my two essays done and posted with 4 minutes to spare.

I am amazed at how well, ds1 and ds2 enteratian each other. Milo really palys well for ten minutes or so, by himself, and then i can chat with Henry while I accomplish sometyhing.

List for today-

Shower (privately)
a load or two of laundry
get tomatos cut up, and cooking
make dinner.
squeeze in some class time.

Then it's off to knitting circle. . .(which is at 6:30 at Barnes and Noble if you want to come Sara) I think thisweek I earned it.
Oooh, knitting circle. Is it weekly? I have torah study tonight at 7.

#564 of 602 Old 08-27-2009, 06:05 PM

smee- yes its weekly. Have fun at Torah study!
I am fortunate in that it's the one night a week that I really don't need to be doing classwork!

: I got my tomatos cut and they are cooking right now. :

Niemals Gewalt
#565 of 602 Old 08-27-2009, 06:49 PM

I am so overwhelmed again.

I was catching up on stuff, but now I'm sick and I have a heavy work schedule and I'm stressed and I'm finding myself making more tiedye instead of cleaning. It's fun, but makes mess instead of reducing mess. And I can't think straight with this cold or whatever it is I have.
#566 of 602 Old 08-27-2009, 08:09 PM

Lol, I did, I was a tad late but good.

Got books mailed, three weeks after they were supposed to. Sigh

I should look at what's left.

Should clear table while E is playing in tub and A is sleeping.

I did load the dishwasher, first time in months.
I should think about supper. I hate yeast. We're trying to do no wheat/sugar/dairy.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#567 of 602 Old 08-28-2009, 12:31 AM

pookel and Maggirayne,just hugs to you both. I too avoid cleaning by creating!

Niemals Gewalt
#568 of 602 Old 08-29-2009, 03:05 PM

Well, construction on our Living room should start on Tuesday. That means tomorrow : or Monday night, we have to move everything out of the living room. I hate to do it on Sunday, and Monday night is my reading time, but there you are.

I got my tomatos cooked down, and they're in the freezer waiting the cann9ing fairy's arrivel.

and we are currently hving tropical conditions here due to the hurricane. ohh, gotta go close windows.

Niemals Gewalt
#569 of 602 Old 08-30-2009, 10:35 PM

Hi all.

I'm up doing my paper...we made some progress on the sewing room, so hopefully, we can get stuff finished tomorrow, and be ready for tuesday.

I am tired and stressed, and ready for this class to be over.

How is everyone else doing?

Niemals Gewalt
#570 of 602 Old 08-30-2009, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I got my tomatos cooked down, and they're in the freezer waiting the cann9ing fairy's arrival.

That's the klutzy canning fairy. She means well.

Someone moved my effing cheese.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page