ADD Support Thread II - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 602 Old 04-09-2009, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ug, I have been sooo sick. I felt like total shit, but finally started feeling better yesterday. Just in time for my birthday! (today) I get a cheesecake and presents tonight, yay! I know what most of tehm are but dh picked out something on his own too, so there will be a surprise.

We don't really do much for Easter, we'll color eggs saturday and give the boys baskets on sunday and then do an egg hunt. Last year the boys took turns hiding the plastic eggs around the house all day, lol.

yay for your A Heidi!

We picked a name for our baby girl - Tessa Marie. :

Today i have to go grocery shopping, then I'm hoping to make it to a playgroup park day, cuz it's been a while and I need some adult interaction, then this evening after dinner and cheesecake I have to work at church for their special Easter service (I'm a paid nursery worker), and hopefully tonight I can go buy Easter stuff. Tomorrow we have a date night to celebrate our 8 year anniversary...if i don't get Easter stuff tonight I'll have to go tomorrow afternoon before date night. oy.

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

#182 of 602 Old 04-09-2009, 06:51 PM

What a pretty name, Mamabohl! We've got a basket for Henry and a stuffed rabbit for Milo (who has no clue anywya), and an egg hunt on Sunday that my Gram is pulling together.

Happy Birthday!!! (save me a slice of cheesecake!)

Maggirayne- My online classes are 6 weeks long. I had been about to start another one, but I need to get a garden in, and my brother is coming out this spring, and I get to meet my nephew for the first time!!! He's one! So we decided I could take the class after next.

Yeah- Smee- what're you doin' for Passover? How's the packing coming?

joyfulmom- did you have a discussion with your supervisor? I'm glad Maggirayne had some useful advice for you!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#183 of 602 Old 04-12-2009, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, all!

Love the name Tessa.

Seders were nice, though I'm already sick of matza and we're only 3 days in. Very no-stress for us, which is tip top. T-11 days to signing and not a SINGLE box is packed. My mom shows up this week, so hopefully we'll get some stuff done while she's here. Part of the thing is that there's no rush - our house isn't on the market at the moment and we're not moving into the new house immediately. But yeah - we need to get on it.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#184 of 602 Old 04-14-2009, 09:19 PM

Isn't it funny how the longer you have to do something the longer it takes to actually do it?

Maggirayne- how are you? how's babe/house/preggo-ness? any news?

I am suffering complete shutdown as a result of my class being done. I mean complete. Although the suffering part is relative. And my house is approaching something resembling clean.

I mean crawl into a hole and hibernate.

I shall now commence the highlight of my very exciting evening, and watch the Biggest Loser. (we should have a 'pickin' my nose' smiley!)

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#185 of 602 Old 04-15-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Seders were nice, though I'm already sick of matza and we're only 3 days in. Very no-stress for us, which is tip top. T-11 days to signing and not a SINGLE box is packed. My mom shows up this week, so hopefully we'll get some stuff done while she's here. Part of the thing is that there's no rush - our house isn't on the market at the moment and we're not moving into the new house immediately. But yeah - we need to get on it.
Eeek! Packing!
I've never gotten to try Matza.
I did go to Israel my senior yr of HS, and oh, the food. We stayed on a kibbutz, oh, the tomatoes and cucumbers, and the bagels. Good thing I'm eating cottage cheese. And ice cream. ::
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
Isn't it funny how the longer you have to do something the longer it takes to actually do it?

Maggirayne- how are you? how's babe/house/preggo-ness? any news?

I am suffering complete shutdown as a result of my class being done. I mean complete. Although the suffering part is relative. And my house is approaching something resembling clean.
Heh, I realized I have 6 1/2 weeks before baby is here--and this place is seriously wrecked. :

Baby's been kicking like mad the last week. But is head down and so heartburn has gone away! : And I started (finally) going to the chiro--oh my word--I feel so much less tense. And she did the Webster, which my midwife said he(?) was LOP last visit, but I kept feeling kicks on my cervix. But that made the round ligament pain go away! : My back spasms are getting better.

I am so excited to have a homebirth.

Our trip to TX went great--Elisabeth flew great, was a wonderful traveler. I got several compliments. It's called constant distraction/toys/snacks. But she is easygoing. Granted, some kids aren't distracted so easily.

Quote:
Maggirayne- My online classes are 6 weeks long. I had been about to start another one, but I need to get a garden in, and my brother is coming out this spring, and I get to meet my nephew for the first time!!! He's one! So we decided I could take the class after next.

joyfulmom- did you have a discussion with your supervisor? I'm glad Maggirayne had some useful advice for you!
Heh, the question is, did it actually help?

We had Easter last weekend--I ate waaaay too much candy!

Ah, 6 weeks, now that's a doable bit, not a monstrous chunk. I dream of starting midwife classes. But when I'm going to have at least two more kids--I think. . . eh. I'll have to wait a few unless DH decides to be a SAHD. But I don't like the idea of being *the* breadwinner.

Actually, this is an ADD question I've sorta pondered and connected, but never asked anyone else--well, duh, not just do you start a project and get tired, but a job, after the newness wears off and it becomes just routine, do you get tired of/hate it?
Teaching became like that--but then I was drowning and had next to no support. School became just hard. Any job after awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabohl View Post

Today i have to go grocery shopping, then I'm hoping to make it to a playgroup park day, cuz it's been a while and I need some adult interaction, then this evening after dinner and cheesecake I have to work at church for their special Easter service (I'm a paid nursery worker), and hopefully tonight I can go buy Easter stuff. Tomorrow we have a date night to celebrate our 8 year anniversary...if i don't get Easter stuff tonight I'll have to go tomorrow afternoon before date night. oy.
Happy Anniversary! Yum, cheesecake!
Hope you feel/get better. Hit the garlic and the Vitamin C. I take 4-8 a day of each. It makes a huge difference for me.

Pretty name!

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#186 of 602 Old 04-15-2009, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Glad you're feeling better, Alyse! I can't wait to see a pic of your new little one!! I'm getting baby crazy now that Toby is pushing 11 months. I promised him a year of breastmilk, so no trying until June.

No trying until June.

No trying until June.

Matza is yummy in small quantities. And for matza pizza - :. But 8 days is a bit much.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#187 of 602 Old 04-15-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Glad you're feeling better, Alyse! I can't wait to see a pic of your new little one!! I'm getting baby crazy now that Toby is pushing 11 months. I promised him a year of breastmilk, so no trying until June.

No trying until June.

No trying until June.
Wait, you will be glad, IMO. It is no fun having no patience with a toddler. But I suppose 3 yo isn't much better. I didn't mind dry-nursing, but it sure is not comfortable. I hate that E didn't get milk to two. And on our trip, she was kinda sick, puked, not hungry, not drinking, we were in TX, and I was worried about her getting dehydrated.

I really miss nursing. And at this point I'm like it didn't always hurt? Really?! Wow. Well, she hasn't latched on in at least a week.

DH is not keen on her nursing after baby's here. But she does fall asleep good at night, so if she nurses just in the mornings and for naps, that will be fine, but I think she'll ask as soon as she sees baby nursing. She loooves nunnies. She'll wake up and snuggle and say "I wike mommy's nunnies. I wuv mommy's nunnies." And she pretends to nurse.

#188 of 602 Old 04-16-2009, 12:30 PM

Smee- you crack me up- no trying till june!

I don't know about Matzos being yummy, they taste like saltines to me, but w/o the salt! I did make a spinach/matzo casserole that was very nice once! :

I lasted three months into pg w'the nursing thing. DS1 never had a good latch, and once he got teeth- wow! But after I got pg, I just could. not. I know it's partly b/c of my sensory issues, too. When Milo came, I had actually forgotten how nice it is to nurse someone who has no teeth! Now that we have two, I'll likely nurse Milo till he's at least two, b/c we're ot planning on trying again until he's talking and using the potty.

Maggirayne-I'm glad you're feeling better and I'm jealous about your homebirth! My house mysteriously got messier the closer I got to Milo's due date, even thought I was working so hard to tidy it up! It's funny b/c I KNOW I was tired, but I really can't remember what being that tired felt like.

Eh, the job thing. . . I think, yes, we can burn out on pretty much anything if it gets too frustrating. It's neat you're drooling over MW training, b/c I've been drooling over it too, ever since Henry's birth! Maybe I can combine Missionary work with good midwifery care?

The sun is shining today, and I should really get some laundry done, but I should really rest too. I haven't been sleeping well, and this morning DH told me I've been snoring very loudly for a couple of weeks now. He said to me, 'it actually sounded painful sometimes!' Yeah, ya think?

Niemals Gewalt
#189 of 602 Old 04-16-2009, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Toby's starting to nip a bit too. So not fun. He just sucks SO hard and he tries to get half my boob into his mouth so I quickly get to the point where I feel like my breast (because it's not just my nipples any more) is being sucked raw. I don't know how to fix it, though. His latch is good, it's just WIDE and the suction is ridiculous.

#190 of 602 Old 04-16-2009, 08:43 PM

Ugh, is there a LLL or someone you can ask? Has he always had such a strong suck?

Yeah, I am so amazed that DH agreed to a homebirth, and glad. I cry when I think about it. I am so excited!

#191 of 602 Old 04-18-2009, 10:17 PM

Hi guys, how're all the boobies?

I've had a busy week, but now it's done and I feel like I had fun! It's been up and down a lot, and I haven't been sleeping well, but I only majorly screwed up one thing this week! I forgot missions meeting again. Oh, and I was late for the bridal shower today, because I forgot it wasn't at the one girl's house, it was at church.

I also found my Motivated Moms download! : My computer is behaving itself for the moment and DH got the taxes done and mailed in time. even if he did stay up till 3:30 am to do it!

We have discovered some carpet beetles, and so are doing some hard core cleaning, like today DH took out one of the storm window frames and scrubbed out the inside b/c there had been dead wasps in there, and apparently carpet beetles like dead things and will live in windows! yick! consequences of living in a 110 yr old house built of wood and horsehair plaster.

The upshot is I have new curtains, and I have conviced DH it would be a good idea to paint the kitchen!!!!!

And Stanley Steamer will be getting a call from me shortly to schedule a full house carpet cleaning! : Now if we can just keep this ball rolling- I'll be one happy duck come fall!

oohhh, and I got my tomato seedlings repotted, with the incidental help of ds1, who loves potting soil.

let's here it for manic energy!

Niemals Gewalt
#192 of 602 Old 04-18-2009, 11:28 PM

Ha, any energy would be good.

Actually, I got all but one of the piles in the bedroom picked up. And clothes put away. One thing about having seasons is seasonal clothing. Sigh. And then add maternity, I don't know what to pull out for the summer!

DH was pretty encouraging and helped me get laundry done.

I started making a necklace for a lady who liked mine. Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow.

#193 of 602 Old 04-19-2009, 09:04 PM

hey mamas - there was a pretty helpful article in the NY times today about sending our ADD/HD kiddos off to college and some things we'll need to think about. I know I'm at least 10 years away but it still made me think of things I'll need to keep in mind

also I know some of you all are in college yourselves...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/ed...college&st=cse

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#194 of 602 Old 04-19-2009, 10:07 PM

Ya wanna know how ADD I am?
I've never really read your name until today, Andrea. I've always read it ans it sounded in my head like fliminvimin. I'm not even sure I read the mama.

Does anyone else skip over words, well not words, I read words, but I think it's abbreviations like that. Like I used read smeisnotapirate and wonder if it was same as not a pirate until I read your explanation on MDC somewhere.

Maybe (ha!) my braini s just weird.

Thanks for the article!

#195 of 602 Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 PM

I often skip over lots of words. I've always been a skimmer. It's good often, I mean I easily skip over all the ads on websites. When I've needed to cram, I could skim a lot and capture much of the content I needed too (at least till I ended up in killer weed out college classes)

I really skim books and even songs. I like music, but I rarely actually know what the words are. I could read and LOVE a whole book and not be able to tell you what it was about, or what all the characters names are. I just read/listen for enjoyment and dont' really remember much. Although, I seem to do okay with most series books--- like as soon as I'm back in the books 'world' I remember most of what I need to. FOr me the music or story is really just about an 'essence'- it makes me feel a certain way during the song or book, but I don''t really retain much.

It's funny, dh and I sometimes have read (not lately) books around the same time. He'll pronounce the names differently than I will. Often I don't really even know how I pronounce them. If I 'say' them in my mind it is like I have not said them yet and if I try to say them outloud how I read them, I can't always do it. I'll have to say it a few times outloud and figure it out and then I realize how the words and what my mind processes/'hears' dont' really connect.
But the songs thing, for me is really pronounced. I'd NEVER do karaoke, I'd be too embarrassed and it takes me forever to memorize songs, even simple kids songs. I can have a conversation about a book I've read and manage okay, but I couldnt repeat lyrics or tell you what a song is really about. It is really hard for me to actually understand the words. I've always had a hard time with memorizing things, too.

And for screennames, I do often really skim them and dont' 'see' them either. But then other times, the unique screen names often make it easier for me to place someone. I do find myself glancing at them (and user titles/locations) from time to time, because they are just an endless source of amusements

Is yours Maggi rain or Maggi I ran or something else?

Mine is just Jess (short for jessica) and my old email jgh1- not very creative, but one I can remember since I was on a few sites. I used to be chilla or chillaj, but that one was always taken, so I came up with a lame newer one and try to stick with it, lol.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#196 of 602 Old 04-19-2009, 10:56 PM

Thanks for keeping the thread going... I have to say I LOL at the 'how're all the boobies comment'
We are suddenly in the middle of putting our house on the market, hoping maybe to be able to sell it and move, but it has been a LOT of work, actually pretty much all I've been doing.
I have so many questions, but no time, lol.

I'm almost through with my very -overdue copy of So I'm not stupid.....
I also have a copy of a Workbook for ADHD, which I need to get my dh to read too. It looks pretty helpful
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Your...0192309&sr=8-1

Anyone go through the book??

One thing I HATE to do is workbooks. I hate having a record (my writing) IN the book. I don't like to have a record of something I've started and not finished. Or when I write messy (like I start out wanting to do it, but wanting to write everything 'neatly' but then I write messy because I always start to scrawl when I'm in a hurry).

Anyways, I can download the worksheets for the most part, so I'll do that, but it is interesting the many ways I can be 'blocked' as well as the sheer lack of time.

And since I don't really have a final 'diagnosis' other than, its likely to probably that I have ADD, its frustrating because I sometimes dont' feel it totally fits, but the methods really do seem like they would really help, so even w/o a diagnosis I should just move forward.

Have a couple folllow up appts. in 2 weeks, which I _really_ need to get a list of questions together for.

Take care everyone!
rambly Jessica

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#197 of 602 Old 04-19-2009, 11:55 PM

Andrea- thanks for that link!

Magirayne- you are too funny! I do that too, I'll just kind of skim over something and it gets an assigned sound in my head like, 'msbfyiutb' !! Or I'll transpose syllables and read Gawain as Gaiwin in my head for years until one day I read the book and discover that's not the poor guys name at all!

jess-
seems like we've had an active spring in the sore boobies department!

good luck with that appointment, I hope you can get good questions written down and be coherent when you talk to the doc.

I need to get another copy of that book, I'll leave the workbook though, I hate workbooks.

I hate moving so much that you guys who are/have moving/moved are giving me a massive case of stressed induced itchies! : It seems like whenever I get stressed my skin just goes insane, like the only way my body can express the emotions is physically.

my psoriasis is sooooo bad right now, and one night my ds1 said to me, 'mommy what's that on your leg?' nad I told him it was just momma's itchy skin. he told me, 'you better get rid of it!' yeah, babe, I'd love too.

very much channelling my excess energy into house cleaning right now, and yard stuff, etc. lovin' spring, that's me!

Niemals Gewalt
#198 of 602 Old 04-19-2009, 11:55 PM

LOL - people always misread my user name. most people think it's something with "flaming" in it...

it's supposed to be "florida (FL) minivan mama" I got it from an article I read soon after becoming a mom on salon.com
http://archive.salon.com/mwt/feature...van/index.html

I also skim, btw

#199 of 602 Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 PM

did you just change your senior member title? I think I would have remembered 'dunderhead'!!

Niemals Gewalt
#200 of 602 Old 04-20-2009, 12:05 AM

lol, no, it's been dunderhead for a ridiculously long time... I was thinking maybe I should change it because Michael & Pam no longer work for dunder-mifflin! I don't know what I'd change it to though.....

#201 of 602 Old 04-20-2009, 12:18 AM

Niemals Gewalt
#202 of 602 Old 04-20-2009, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Andrea, how many ongoing threads are we on together, and I swear I've never seen the "dunderhead" part!!! So I guess there's my answer to the "do you skim" question.

I'm actually pretty good right now. The boobies are feeling better. I think Tov just needed to get used to the latch with his new teeth, because he hasn't been biting :. I got DH to agree to prime the whole house (lead paint EVERYWHERE) before moving in - lead paint scares the CRAP out of me because we have a crawler who eats everything. Hairballs from the cats, random fuzz on the floor, pieces of string, dirt....... I don't want to add lead paint chippings to his list. The kid can eat all the laundry lint he wants as long as he doesn't eat lead paint. So I'm much less stressed now.

HOWEVER () this is going to be a nutso week. Tonight I have lessons and our community Yom HaShoah service, tomorrow I meet with a friend to go over music for Friday night services and I teach lessons all night, Wednesday I have to chant the Torah portion for this week for the rabbi and is our walk-through and a dinner with friends (that'll be a good day I hope), Thursday we sign on the house and have rehearsal for the special service on Friday, Friday is services where I also have to chant Torah this week. Saturday is a big Yom HaAtzmaut (Israel's Independence Day) celebration where I have to lead people in Israeli dancing.... : If I make it through the week........... THEN we can start working on the house.

#203 of 602 Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
it's supposed to be "florida (FL) minivan mama" I got it from an article I read soon after becoming a mom on salon.com
http://archive.salon.com/mwt/feature...van/index.html
What a funny article.
I did figure it out yesterday.
Hmm, flamin' van mama? Ya go around in a van setting fires?

Quote:
Magirayne- you are too funny! I do that too, I'll just kind of skim over something and it gets an assigned sound in my head like, 'msbfyiutb' !! Or I'll transpose syllables and read Gawain as Gaiwin in my head for years until one day I read the book and discover that's not the poor guys name at all!

I hate moving so much that you guys who are/have moving/moved are giving me a massive case of stressed induced itchies! : It seems like whenever I get stressed my skin just goes insane, like the only way my body can express the emotions is physically.

my psoriasis is sooooo bad right now, and one night my ds1 said to me, 'mommy what's that on your leg?' nad I told him it was just momma's itchy skin. he told me, 'you better get rid of it!' yeah, babe, I'd love too.
Ugh on the psoriasis.
Sore boobies, I haven't tried nursing for two weeks? I forget. I miss it, but I don't miss hurting. Elisabeth still tells me, I wuv nunnies every morning. I've told her nunnies won't be owie when baby comes out.

I do the transposing syllables more often than skimming. I cannot skim and 'get' stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
I'm almost through with my very -overdue copy of So I'm not stupid.....
I also have a copy of a Workbook for ADHD, which I need to get my dh to read too. It looks pretty helpful
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Your...0192309&sr=8-1

Anyone go through the book??

Anyways, I can download the worksheets for the most part, so I'll do that, but it is interesting the many ways I can be 'blocked' as well as the sheer lack of time.

And since I don't really have a final 'diagnosis' other than, its likely to probably that I have ADD, its frustrating because I sometimes dont' feel it totally fits, but the methods really do seem like they would really help, so even w/o a diagnosis I should just move forward.
I don't like 'messing' books up, even workbooks. I'd rather write on my journal or type so it's readable. I should read that boo tho'.

How does ADD not fit?

Quote:
I really skim books and even songs. I like music, but I rarely actually know what the words are. I could read and LOVE a whole book and not be able to tell you what it was about, or what all the characters names are. I just read/listen for enjoyment and dont' really remember much. Although, I seem to do okay with most series books--- like as soon as I'm back in the books 'world' I remember most of what I need to. FOr me the music or story is really just about an 'essence'- it makes me feel a certain way during the song or book, but I don''t really retain much.

It's funny, dh and I sometimes have read (not lately) books around the same time. He'll pronounce the names differently than I will. Often I don't really even know how I pronounce them. If I 'say' them in my mind it is like I have not said them yet and if I try to say them outloud how I read them, I can't always do it. I'll have to say it a few times outloud and figure it out and then I realize how the words and what my mind processes/'hears' dont' really connect.
but I couldnt repeat lyrics or tell you what a song is really about. It is really hard for me to actually understand the words. I've always had a hard time with memorizing things, too.

Is yours Maggi rain or Maggi I ran or something else?
It is Maggi rain. I love rain, and I like slightly different but not too cr8tive spellings.

ITU with the song lyrics. DH amazes me because he knows all these lyrics, and I'm like how? And it will be music he's not listened to in years.

Oh yeah, and pronunciation--mine is words that I've only read, not heard. islet is islet, not eyelet. I forget. But DH teases me. I used to say, as a child, re-lay-tive, not rel-uh-tive for family.

#204 of 602 Old 04-20-2009, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello, All. It's been quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabohl View Post
Hope it's not too late to say I think that's a beautiful name.

Quote:
let's here it for manic energy!
Woo hoo!

My misunderstandings: Maggirayne= Migraine (I seriously thought you have migraines and decided to- celebrate it with a pretty spelling), Heidirk= Heidi Kirk, Flminivanmama= at first I thought Flim flam mama I looked closer and decided FL stood for 'full', full minivan mama. And out on the general boards, Smokering- Smoker Ing.

I remember that I loved Little House on the Prairie and Little Women when I was a girl, they were on my favorites list. And I remember skipping whole pages to get to the dialogue, and not knowing major plot points. Years later reading the Little House books to my daughter portions of it I didn't recognize at all.

Quote:
Someone, maybe on this thread, said that it doesn't always matter about a diagnosis, as long as you are finding ways to help yourself get along better. So if you find that the workbook helps than stick with it!

Since I've been here at MDC I've discovered that aspects of adhd, apraxia, obsessive compulsive disorder, aspergers, obsessive compulsive personality disorder all describe me and my daughter and my son to a greater and lesser extent. Well, I'd feel a little sheepish about trying to get a doctor to diagnose all those disorders in my kids.

But it helps me understand me and my kids.

Not wanting to 'put it on paper': I totally get this. My sister gave me my first journal when I was 10-ish y.o. I had typically deplorable handwriting. About half way through I gave up in disgust and threw it away because I hated that my handwriting was so messy, and I hated what I'd written. I was realizing that I was different and was having a very difficult time with it. I've got two or three journals that I started as an adult, put them aside, got bored with them, lost them, come across them again and then I feel ashamed to look at them. The notebooks are never filled. My sentiments sometimes make me cringe. I can kind of laugh at it now, though.

Eighth grade is going much better for my daughter than seventh grade did. She's using Concerta and it's been very helpful. She's got a new set of friends that are interested in doing well in school and like learning. She was told me the other day that she's frustrated and disappointed with herself that even though she's having such a better year and the medicine is such a help, she feels like the 'dumb' one in her group. She is in the High Achievers track which means the material is a grade ahead. She is getting C's, B's and A's, and it's hard work for her, while her friends consistently get all As and don't seem to have to work hard at all. I reminded her that these gals are exceptionally focused, not the norm, one of her closest friends is the top student in their grade. I remind her that getting a B in these classes is like getting an A in the regular level class.

Though I certainly, completely understand. I'm 40 y.o. and it's only been recently that I realized how much my ego has suffered because I compare myself to my older, more accomplished siblings. I started looking around and comparing them to other folks, and really, my brother and sisters are above average smart and creative. I'm just a regular person. Plus, I'm seven years younger than my closest sibling. I unfairly compared my abilities to theirs when I was a kid and figured I should be as capable as they were. Well, a 10 y.o. isn't going to be as capable as a 17 y.o. or a 20 or 23 y.o. But I just couldn't see that. :

That's enough going on about it from me!!

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#205 of 602 Old 04-20-2009, 03:43 PM

well, heidirk is just my name plus my middle and last initials. not too cr8tive I know, but It neede to be something I wouldn't forget!

journeymom- : I have probably fifteen journals, each with one or ten pages filled, then- nothing.

Your post reminded me of the reading I had been doing over on the Gifted board. I think a lot of us feel stupid as a result of our alternate wiring, but really, we are probably no less intelligent than any of our famil/siblings. we're just less productive in this framework, YK? I remember the psychologist who diagnosed me elling me it would be impossible to ever measure my IQ properly.
It isn't that your DD is less intelligent, it's like she's a foreign program on a computer, it might be a great program, but it's incompatable wih the resident software.

and I remember reading the narrative parts, because I had problems with reading dialogue.

I see similarities in myself to dyscalcula, but I'm not going to wastetime andmoney trying to get another diagnosis!

MAggirayne- OHHhhh! Islet as in related to island? yeah, I would have said is-let too. It hasn't until now, been necessary for me to actually attempt pronunciation!

I'm glad Elizabeth is OK with things for now. DS1 has said to me a few times now, "I would like to nurse!" so we've tried a few times, but it's on-then-off.
pop on then pop off. I was surprised he remembered how to latch!

smeisnotapirate- well, I'm relieved you're not overcomitted or anything like that!

re the lead, it might be a good idea to get his lead level tested now, to establish a baseline. It's a pain to get blood drawn, but even newpaint can chip and the dust can be in carpet and stuff.

Niemals Gewalt
#206 of 602 Old 04-20-2009, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Me? Overcommitted? The sad thing is that besides being ima, my job is part-time! It's mostly the fact that I have a TON of students until the end of May and then it'll drop off.......... from 20 to 8! :

Good idea about the baseline. We have one for DH, because his job is....... lead-y? But not one for Toby or me.

I'm the same way with the journals. I have a blog and I'll go through spurts of posting.

Heidi, despite knowing your IRL, I never put together Heidi-R-K. I thought that maybe you were a Mavericks fan (Dirk Nowitshkywhoosie) or one of the boys' middle names was Dirk. I saw Hei-Dirk.

#207 of 602 Old 04-20-2009, 05:31 PM

:

well, that was the intention, but some people figured it out, and I thought I was being all clever!

IMHO, being Ima is a full time job!

Niemals Gewalt
#208 of 602 Old 04-20-2009, 05:33 PM

Are the Mavericks baseball, or football? :

Niemals Gewalt
#209 of 602 Old 04-21-2009, 05:10 PM

Hi all,

I've been reading and reading and just realized that if I wait until I finish I'll never post. And I'm dying to jump in here (and I'm usually kind of shy). My head is so full of thoughts and reactions and 'me too's' I feel like its going to explode. Sadly - I have to run as I have to get the kids to playdate and me to the doctors for a physical and an EKG as I'm getting ready to explore the whole meds thing. (I'm dreading it and hopeful all at the same time.) I'm in the process of getting this diagnosis as the result of going into therapy for eating issues...which led to anxiety issues...which is now leading to a possible ADD dx.

Anyway - so glad you are all here. I've appreciated your posts so much. Looking forward to getting back with some more info and questions etc.

nel
#210 of 602 Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM

Hi Nelybel!

welcome to our : club!

Niemals Gewalt

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page