Mothering Forum banner

Would you take a 10 mo to the auto show?

1K views 40 replies 37 participants last post by  Amylcd 
#1 ·
I think this goes here instead of LWAB - it is more parenting related....

MY DH wants us all to go to the auto show tomorrow. I don't know if I want to go with DS (meaning not sure if DS and I should also go.) There will be thousands of people there, in cold cold February with lots of colds and germs.

Would you go and take your lo? Why or why not?

#5 ·
If you will enjoy it you should go.

If it's going to be a boring hassle then don't.

As far as germs and stuff- he's 10 months old, you can't protect him from everything. I think that children should experience everything they can. Life is too short, you know?

#6 ·
Auto show...blech!

But, if you go...just wear him in a sling and bring a blanket to keep him warm.

But personally, I wouldn't go cause I HATE auto shows LOL

#8 ·
I would go.. if it were indoors.

I wouldn't go if it were outside. Because I don't do cold. I don't even do chilly. I consider anything below 75 degrees too cold.

BUT, if it were warm, I'd enjoy it. It's great to go do things together, and your husband will be glad you did. Just take a mei tai or a sling to make it easier on you. Strollers are a hassle in busy crowded places.

#11 ·
Basically, if I'd go if I didn't have a baby, then I'd go with the baby. The only exceptions to that are places that are way too loud (eg. rock concert or the Indy) or places full of heavy cigarette smoke or a lot of drunks (no bars, even if the baby were allowed inside). In this case, if it weren't too cold for me, I wouldn't worry about the baby - just bundle him/her up and preferably wear him/her close to my body. I wouldn't be worried about germs, either. Auto shows don't interest me much, but if I were willing to go, I'd just take baby.

#15 ·
Indoors it's great to walk around and explore. My son loved the look of things at that age - mirrors, shiny chrome, touching the steering wheel, etc.

When they're a little bit older and walking it's also kind of fun if yours is like ours - full of plush carpet and cars! you! can! get! in!

#17 ·
Well I took my 9 mo to the boat show last week...

It was great-we wore her around she got to look at everything, flirt with all the old men (DD LOVES old men) we got to climb in and out of the cool boats...

But I like boat shows. And it was indoors. I would be fine with an outdoor event (I walk everywhere with DD in cold, cold February, lol). But if I didn't want to go on general principles (do you like auto shows?) then I'd happily use the babe as an excuse.

#22 ·
I took my then three week old to the auto show. It was great.

If you're going to the Chicago one, there's seats in the food area (upstairs near the center on the south side of the show) and also on the north side near the demo area there's bleachers. There's also some seating areas outside the show (another food court and such).

Also, I'd suggest paying for the indoor parking instead of the lot. Less of a walk to get inside.

#23 ·
We would have gone, if it was something we wanted to do. By ten months old, my kids had both been in all types of crowds and exposed to all types of germs. Unless I had an immuno-compromised child, I wouldn't think twice about something like that.

Have fun!

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Basically, if I'd go if I didn't have a baby, then I'd go with the baby. The only exceptions to that are places that are way too loud (eg. rock concert or the Indy) or places full of heavy cigarette smoke or a lot of drunks (no bars, even if the baby were allowed inside). In this case, if it weren't too cold for me, I wouldn't worry about the baby - just bundle him/her up and preferably wear him/her close to my body. I wouldn't be worried about germs, either. Auto shows don't interest me much, but if I were willing to go, I'd just take baby.
This. IMO, it's very important for your mental health & your relationship with your husband to integrate your baby as seamlessly into your life as possible--and of course, it is much better for the baby as well. Part of being a family is doing things as a family, and if this is something you did before having the baby, why on Earth not do it now?

If it's outside, yes it will be cold, but the general rule of thumb is that your baby is about as comfortable as you are. So bundle him up like you bundle yourself, and he will be fine. Yes, there will be germs, but we know that for a healthy immune system we need germ exposure.

So go. Just be mindful of things like him getting bored/tired/over-excited, especially if you're out around what is his normal nap-time. Make sure your husband realizes you might have to cut the trip short, and take plenty of diapers.

#26 ·
By 10 months, Lu was going everywhere with us. In fact, I was more inclined to take her back then than now that she is 3-1/2! Anyway, at 10 months, she was big enought that I could wear her on my back in a Mei Tai. She'd enjoy the ride, take in the sights, and often get a really good nap riding along on mommy's back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.