WWYD? Question about adult pulling child out of class. **UPDATED Post #49** - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 67 Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Well, it teaches men that they aren't good enough to look after our children, sometimes even their own, and disempowers them. It teaches our sons that sexual violence is anticipated, that sexual violence has power. It teaches our girls that sexual violence is to be anticipated, powerful, something to fear. And so the circle goes on.
It teaches young boys that they are inherently untrustworthy, potentially violent, dangerous, born evil. It teaches little girls that all men are inherently untrustworthy, potentially violent, dangerous, born evil. And maybe sometimes it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, because if a little boy absorbs the message for long enough, if he's going to be damned no matter how good and loving and safe he is, why shouldn't he earn his reputation?

:

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#62 of 67 Old 03-10-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
I wouldn't tell someone to ignore their instincts either, but it's a pretty good pointer that our "instincts" are pretty messed up when the mere sight of a father with his daughter sets off alarm bells.
Yes.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#63 of 67 Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Perhaps this should be remembered in the future.

Perhaps it should also be considered why we jump to such outlandish ideas over something as innocent as a Daddy talking to a daughter.
Absolutely agreed.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#64 of 67 Old 03-11-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post
I'm glad everything is fine, but also a little confused. Are you saying the man that pulled her out of the classroom was her father? Did I read your post wrong about him being the director or did I miss a post or something? Just trying to get clarification b/c maybe I got really confused somewhere along the way.
Totally clear now.
#65 of 67 Old 03-13-2009, 01:45 AM

I found this thread interesting. Of course, I came in late and skipped it all to find the outcome before reading everything (kinda feels like cheating!).

I do think we have developed a parinoia in our sociaty against men and little girls. It is kinda sad too. (Not that it is totally undeserved.) And many times I think people just don't MYOB enough.

But opinion is weighed with having the experience of a BIG (6ft 4in), hairy, gruff looking DH and four little daughters over the years. Granted, now they are grown up, but at a point they were little. And I know he got some looks, and some thoughts, especially when one of them had a bad day and was kicking or screaming, or perhaps even hurt.

I get so angry when I think of men being labled as "potential preditors" just because of their size and gender.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#66 of 67 Old 03-13-2009, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyintraining2 View Post
So I checked. It was her father.
wow never in a million years would i have thought of that.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#67 of 67 Old 03-13-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Well, it teaches men that they aren't good enough to look after our children, sometimes even their own, and disempowers them. It teaches our sons that sexual violence is anticipated, that sexual violence has power. It teaches our girls that sexual violence is to be anticipated, powerful, something to fear. And so the circle goes on.

Thank you for saying all that.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page