Baby Toys - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-21-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lord willing, we will welcome a little one in November, and I had a thought this morning.
I want to keep toys to a minimum. I live the Waldorf type toys. No plastic involved.
So, how do you go about this with an infant? What is available for babies, that is not made of plasic? Cloth dolls and cloth covered rattles are all I can come up with?
Can someone point me in a good direction?
Paula

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-21-2009, 04:29 PM

Hi! We're trying to avoid plastic too & also enjoy Waldorf type toys. Here's what we got (or held onto from DS1) that DS2 really enjoys. (Note: Most of these he didn't really use until he was a few months old).

* Wool felted ball (a current fav! He plays catch with us)
* Cloth elf doll with very simple face & knotted hands & feet
* Wooden teething rings
* Baby silks (smaller versions of playsilks - note: don't leave unattended).
* Little wooden car
* Wooden stacking cups (another current fav - we stack them up, he knocks them down).
* a "Squish" - we call this the molecule. Not Waldorf, but made from wood & elastic, find it at nice, independant toy stores. A big hit with both my boys.
* Board books
* Knitted covered rattle, wooden rattle
* Stuffed rabbit with floppy years (made from 'reclaimed' sweaters), knitted kittens made by me

Other favorite toyr include measuring cups & spoons, a tea strainer, wooden massager, small wind chimes hung at baby reach, his knitted booties, ribbons (with supervision!), his big brother, my wooden bracelets & mala, the zipper on my sweatshirt .

You may also try posting on the Waldorf forum. Enjoy your pregnancy & your LO.

Loving mama to magical boys Skyler (11/21/03) and Gryffin Emrys (9/30/08). 

#3 of 6 Old 03-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Banned

:

DD didn't start playing with anything until she was abut 3 1/2 months. It was a wooden teething peg and a little organic stuffed sheep (the label, actually). It took another month before she started playing with her little wooden rattle. And soon after that she found her fave toys, the clothes pegs! She does like her wooden puzzles, tiny organic doll, teddy bear and wooden blocks now at a year (since about age 9 months). Her hair brush, potties and my magazines are also popular.

Early on I'd recommend books. DD loves books, board books and real books. And she liked it when we played peek-a-boo with a playsilk.

There is a tribe for toy minimalism/no toys somewhere in parenting. Good luck!

(Oh, DD's absolute fave toy for quite a while have been Daddy's MP3-player or whatever it is called, with video screen : )
#4 of 6 Old 03-22-2009, 11:14 AM

my babe is 4 months old and seriously couldnt care less about the few toys we have. she prefers her own little fists to suck on or my finger to massage her gums. the toys we do have are a wooden rattle that has amber inside it, a simple wooden hand carved ring/circle toy, a rainbow colored wooden rattle, and a hand-carved natural wood stacker. most toys i got at a local waldorf-inspired toy shop here in mpls www.wondermentshop.com but i also love www.novanaturals.com.
#5 of 6 Old 03-22-2009, 11:46 AM

We have wooden toys from Imagineplay and some other brands, plush/cloth toys (Under the Nile is a good source), and some natural rubber teethers (Nattursuten) and a couple rattles made from corn starch resin (Green Sprouts).
#6 of 6 Old 03-22-2009, 01:17 PM

All suggestions so far are great. My DS2 has been in love with his small playsilks since he was about 3 months. They are light and easy to grab and our older still plays with them at 6 yrs old so they have quite the longevity!

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page