does your child eat their crusts and do you care? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 194 Old 03-30-2009, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelionkid View Post
It is the carcinogenic formed when starch-based foods are heated at high temp. I remember the researcher on one study saying his kids would never eat another french fry- its pretty toxic stuff although i try not to think of it too much!! Found in grain-based food esp. (cereal, bread crust, crackers). You can reduce your acrylamide production in baking by keeping the heat lower when baking and taking out bread before crust gets really dark. and by not toasting so not eating crusts can be a healthy choice.
My daughter is wicked smart, so I bet she just knew this instinctively.

coolshine.gif

#182 of 194 Old 03-30-2009, 10:38 PM

wait. we shouldn't be eating toasted bread? Wah! I love toast!
#183 of 194 Old 03-30-2009, 10:58 PM

My daugther does not eat her crust. When she started school this year, I went through the trouble of cutting the crusts off her sandwiches. However, on very busy mornings, that proved to be a a little bit too time consuming (too busy pumping at night to prepare lunches ahead of time). My sister clued me in to the flower shaped sandwich cutter that Williams-Sonoma sells, and now I make her adorable, flower shaped, crustless sandwiches in no time! :

treehugger.gif Wife of over 10 years to hard working DH and Mom to DS (25)violin.gif,DD1 (10)joy.gif and : DD2 (6)joy.gif 
#184 of 194 Old 03-31-2009, 01:35 AM
~pi

In general, not for homemade bread but yes for store-bought. I do care, but I am not going to set up food battles over it. He's 2 -- there will be time for rational discussion later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesperia View Post
I totally thought this thread as about nose 'crusts' and scab 'crusts' not bread.

And I was like, sure. Whatever. It is just a buggar or a scabs must help you build immunity, I'm doing fine....

*hides under a rock*
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
Not if the person throws a hissy fit about wanting a big pear/fruit and refuses to eat it once cut.
Oh, I have so been there.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#185 of 194 Old 03-31-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
Not if the person throws a hissy fit about wanting a big pear/fruit and refuses to eat it once cut.
At which point, since it hasn't been touched, it goes into my lunch for tomorrow! Yummy! :
#186 of 194 Old 03-31-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryMom View Post
My daugther does not eat her crust. When she started school this year, I went through the trouble of cutting the crusts off her sandwiches. However, on very busy mornings, that proved to be a a little bit too time consuming (too busy pumping at night to prepare lunches ahead of time). My sister clued me in to the flower shaped sandwich cutter that Williams-Sonoma sells, and now I make her adorable, flower shaped, crustless sandwiches in no time! :
You're a Moon Sandwich Mom!
#187 of 194 Old 03-31-2009, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermom View Post
Whats drives me batty.. A sandwhich must be cut into squares according to my DD if I dare do triangles she says they are too pokey and whines they are hurting her mouth cause the pieces are soo sharp. Its runing my desire to re live my childhood when the yummiest sandwiches were cut into mini triangles

Deanna
My grandpa cut my sandwich for me once into a rectangle shape and I wouldn't eat a sandwich unless it was rectangle shaped after that. I absolutely refused and it is something my mom still teases me about. My dd wants her sandwiches cut like triangles because that is what her grandma does. It is funny how much shape and texture influence taste.
#188 of 194 Old 03-31-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
You can't compost PB&J? I know putting a huge amount of meat and oils into the compost is bad, because of animals, but I've never heard of not putting peanut butter or jelly into the compost.
I've always been told that we shouldn't, because they also attract animals. I have no idea what animals they'd attract, now that I think about it...it's not like we're lacking in squirrels and outdoor mice as it is.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#189 of 194 Old 04-06-2009, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
Then you only get one piece because you didn't finish your firsts.

(jk y'all, promise) ::
haha

dust.gif
#190 of 194 Old 04-06-2009, 01:41 AM

I can't believe how long this thread is. :

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#191 of 194 Old 04-06-2009, 04:55 AM

Haha I just read through all 10 pages to see why it was so long... I was expecting some HUGE conflict about how eating/not eating crusts was going to massively damage our children in some way...

I personally don't care if they eat them or not...I LOVE crusts (especially pizza!), so I will eat them
#192 of 194 Old 04-06-2009, 01:03 PM

Sometimes ds eats his crust, sometimes he doesn't, and I really don't care. I don't support the whole "clean your plate" idea and I can't imagine being irritated about my children not liking something. It doesn't irritate me that dh hates beans, or that I hate hate hate milk. So whether or not ds likes bread crusts, that is his own business.

I don't understand it being a waste either. Like I said before, I don't drink milk--but that doesn't mean I pour myself a nice big slimy glass just so I can take it to the sink and dump it out. We simply use the milk for something else. Likewise, if ds doesn't want bread crusts I will just cut 'em off and toss them in the big bowl of dry scrap bread. They will get used eventually for something.

Now if ds will only eat his crustless sandwich cut into triangles every third Thursday of the month with purple jelly on the left side and red jelly on the right, that is a whole different ball of wax.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#193 of 194 Old 04-07-2009, 12:08 AM

My oldest does not eat his crusts. His younger brother eats them for him. It doesn't bother me, except when he begs and begs for me to cut the crusts off for him. I'm just not going to add to my meal prep time when he can just not eat them.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#194 of 194 Old 04-07-2009, 09:11 AM

Heck, I'd be thrilled if DD1 would even EAT a sandwich; I can't imagine getting worked up over a simple issue like crusts. Besides, in our house we have a very important mechanism in place for preventing food waste-- DH. Anything anybody else doesn't want, he eats.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page