If You Smoked Pot During Pregnany.. - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 113 Old 07-17-2009, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't touch it even if it were legal, but then again, I don't do ANY recreational drugs and find smoking in general to be unappealing.

That said, having endured 6+ months of miserable morning sickness with 4 pregnancies, I can understand the appeal of the anti-nausea properties of THC.

That said, I have indulged in things like sushi, lunch meat and reasonable amounts of caffiene during pregnancy. There's something about a mostly flat Cola drink that helps me through the nausea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 113 Old 07-17-2009, 12:01 PM

Yes, I did...with both pregnancies. I had sciatica and was in SEVERE pain. Both my kids were huge and perfectly healthy-ODS never suffered any illness until he was 6 months when he got roseola (which is obviously not dope-related). About the crack babies?? I dated a guy who was a "crack baby". He gets less and less stable as time goes on (no, NOT DH!!!). They aren't fine. It changes the way the brain processes things.

Sarah-Wife to Kelly, mostly organic crafty SAHMama to my angel, Canaan (11/01/07-03/15/2013) and Ezra (05-12-09).

#93 of 113 Old 07-17-2009, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have removed numerous posts from this thread. Please keep in mind that differing opinions are fine, but you need to represent them respectfully. Also, please do not take direct issue with another poster.

#94 of 113 Old 07-17-2009, 04:10 PM

Umm. I did accidentally with dd1. I forgot I was pregnant while at a concert with my father of all people! Obviously not enough to have an impact either way.

Bothe my neighbors did- one girl is the best reader in kindergarten the other is average (ie nothing wrong with her at all.) My cousin did both of her kids are bratty-hyper kids. Don't think it was the pot though.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#95 of 113 Old 07-17-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post

I have personally considered using pot to treat my hyperemesis. If it were legal, I absolutely would do it.
Me too! I'd probably do it in a smokeless form though. In fact I'd do it if my job didn't drug test.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#96 of 113 Old 07-17-2009, 04:52 PM

I'm pretty sure my mom did, and I turned out fine. I was labeled gifted in school, was reading well before kindergarten, and am as an adult I am doing everything I ever dreamed and think I've been pretty successful and talented in a variety of areas. But I don't think pot had much to do with any of those things.

Quote:
My best friend smoked non stop during her second pregnancy and her son turned out extremely smart but with ADHD. She still wonders to this day if it had anything to do with the ADHD part.
Or maybe it had something to do with the being smart part? You never know...

I hate how pot is so villified.
#97 of 113 Old 07-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
I didn't ... but my husband's half sister did. Supposedly her doctor even told her, if his pregnant patients were going to do anything, drug or alcohol wise, pot would be his pick.
My SIL's doctor told her if smoking a joint would calm her down and relax her, then by all means do it - much better than being stressed out. Her son was born in 1980.

FWIW, her son is earning his PhD in New York.

Makes me WISH I had smoked it, maybe my four's future would be full of PhD's! LOL!

I don't think it's a big deal. There's not many "conclusive" studies about it. If it were something I enjoyed, I may have partaken...

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#98 of 113 Old 07-17-2009, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea333 View Post
I take anxiety medicine that people think i shouldn't because they're addictive, but I did stop when I was pregnant even though my doctor said it would be okay for me to take an ativan if I wanted too.
It's great that worked for you, but it won't work for everyone. I had another child to take care of when pregnant, and I was unable to take care of her when I had a headache, unless I took medicine. My headaches are too severe and I can't function at all when I have them. And the only thing that works is very strong medicine. Sometimes people have to take medicine, including strong medicine, when pregnant.
#99 of 113 Old 07-17-2009, 09:26 PM

My friends mom (and dad) smoked pot to varying degrees with all 5 of their kids. None have any issues-in fact, the one she smoked the most with was my favorite! lol

I dont care what someone else does. To me, weed is pretty safe, and if it keeps a mom feeling good, eating, etc, I dont see the harm in it. This is coming from someone who doesnt even touch the stuff-although I'm concidering trying it again in a few years (I tried it once in middle school and ended up in the ER with an athsma attack, lol).

IMO-if you're going to do weed while pregnant and want to minimize the risks, use a vaporizer instead. Honestly its better, period, since any smoking is hard on your lungs, and from what I've heard you A.) get a smoother high and B.) the weed lasts longer/you use less. I'd also look for a good, reputable seller-or grow it yourself if you can. Buying crap off the street isnt a good idea, who knows what they added to it. But high quality, organic (or close to it) weed is pretty danged safe. Thats just my opinion though; I'd be more afraid of someone putting some chemical in it before I got to it, then smoking the weed itself.

Actually, I'm having a ton of morning sickness this pregnancy....hmmmmmm...

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#100 of 113 Old 07-17-2009, 10:22 PM

There is a cannabis mamas tribe, there are tons of posts and links to articles and studies.
I once came across an article about a study done in jamaica, through a midwifery service. One control group used marajuana daily, the other once a month or less. The differences were very slight, and in favor of the pot babies- cried less, talked earlier, higher apgar scores at birth, etc. BUT later it came out that the study was flawed, the pot moms also tended to be of a higher educational background and income bracket, so the two groups might have differences regardless.
#101 of 113 Old 07-18-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_hapamama View Post
I wouldn't touch it even if it were legal, but then again, I don't do ANY recreational drugs and find smoking in general to be unappealing.

That said, having endured 6+ months of miserable morning sickness with 4 pregnancies, I can understand the appeal of the anti-nausea properties of THC.

That said, I have indulged in things like sushi, lunch meat and reasonable amounts of caffiene during pregnancy. There's something about a mostly flat Cola drink that helps me through the nausea.
Caffeine is a recreational drug, so you are using a recreational drug- caffeine- in cola to help with nausea.

Next pregnancy i absolutely will if i have nausea like the last time. However i live where it is decriminalised so there is much less of a legal risk for me- as in a fine if i get caught with it.
#102 of 113 Old 07-18-2009, 01:51 PM

I didn't smoke pot while pregnant except for one time before I knew I was pg.

But, hypothetically, if my mother had smoked pot with all 3 of her children, we'd all be of above average intelligence.

--"Mama Bear" : to DD 8/06
Tree-hugging :, queer-loving , liberal, feminist hippie mom! :
#103 of 113 Old 07-19-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Wow, if that's an indulgence, to have healthy sushi, yummy lunch meat, and safe coffee, count me in! I'm so glad no one ever told me I couldn't eat those foods, or enjoy my coffee addiction (several pots a day, both while preggo and nursing)... the rules some docs think you have to live by are borderline crazy!!

I indulged in a lot, I guess! I ate what I wanted and drank as much coffee as I could!

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#104 of 113 Old 07-19-2009, 06:21 PM

I have no idea if pot would do anything bad to a baby and neither do any of you for that matter. Yep, some babies are great and their moms love to brag about getting high more often then Snoop, and other babies are not okay. I am quite certain we will never know as the idea of a controled study like this is laughable.

Here's my question... Why? Yep, I see everyone who is talking how they don't get as sick if they smoke pot. Let's say I smoke up when preggo (of course, to control my morning sickness) and my kiddo has trouble learning to read. Do I really want to wonder forever if it was the pot? Do I really want to wonder if it probably would have been better just to let nature and my pregnancy do what it was doing and me toss my cookies more often (sans smoking dope when pregnant). I also find it funny that folks think that pot is okay my high frustose corn syrup and pain management drugs are the devil. I think I will stick to my occational Sprite and throw up when pregnant as opposed to doing drugs when pregnant.

**If I did decide to smoke pot when pregnant, I certainly would not do so during the first trimester. Not much cool about lighting up on the day the optic nerve forms.
#105 of 113 Old 07-20-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymama View Post
Caffeine is a recreational drug, so you are using a recreational drug- caffeine- in cola to help with nausea.
In the US, caffeine is a food additive, not classified as a recreational drug. It's naturally occurring in chocolate and tea, which are not illegal by any means.

I've been told by several OBs that moderate amounts of caffeine during pregnancy is just fine, so I've never felt guilty about that flat Coca Cola, glass of iced tea, or chocolate bar.
#106 of 113 Old 07-20-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
In the US, caffeine is a food additive, not classified as a recreational drug. It's naturally occurring in chocolate and tea, which are not illegal by any means.

I've been told by several OBs that moderate amounts of caffeine during pregnancy is just fine, so I've never felt guilty about that flat Coca Cola, glass of iced tea, or chocolate bar.
Oh i am not saying its not relatively safe, i drink it myself. I also use it to help with migraines. However it is still a drug- the way it works on the body means it is a drug. Just because it is legal doesn't mean it is not a recreational substance, same as alcohol and nicotine.

Many drugs are naturally occurring thc being one of them. My point is that just because it is legal doesn't automatically= safe, and illegal doesn't= unsafe.
#107 of 113 Old 07-21-2009, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landover View Post
I also find it funny that folks think that pot is okay my high fructose corn syrup and pain management drugs are the devil.
hum.. Plant v. chemically modified plant and chemical.

I find it funny that people think chemically modified foods are ok and weed isn't! I don't do drugs either, just smoke pot.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#108 of 113 Old 07-22-2009, 12:23 AM

I smoked- my first daughter is nothing short of a genius.
My OB sneak drug tested me and the baby after birth.
Baby tested neg. for marijuana.
Really made me feel better about smoking it while pregnant.
I assume it did not cross the placenta since she was neg.
#109 of 113 Old 07-22-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
View Post

#110 of 113 Old 07-22-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachia View Post
Can they do that? Just drug test you without your knowledge or consent?
Yes, they can. They did it to me.

I was a young mother with no health insurance when my first daughter was born. I went to a clinic for my prenatal care. In one of the screenings/questionnaires they asked if I'd ever done any drugs and I answered yes, to be honest. I didn't know that it would bite me in the rear! I had smoked pot and done a few other things (lsd) several years before and let them know that I had done some recreational drugs in the past. I didn't think much of it as the pregnancy progressed. When I had her they told me that they drug tested us both and that we had to stay at the hospital for an extra day for "observation" I was shocked.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#111 of 113 Old 07-22-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachia View Post
Can they do that? Just drug test you without your knowledge or consent?
They did it to me too. Once at labor and delivery and once at my first prenatal appointment with my first. I guess because I did answer that 10 years before I had smoked pot and tried LSD? Or, maybe because my OB who learned I had just quit smoking on learning I was pregnant (cigs) wrote in my chart that I was a "nicotine abuser".

I never once thought he was normal after that and really, should have ran far and fast.

Mom of two boys (7/05 and 2/09)
#112 of 113 Old 07-22-2009, 04:05 AM

I didn't smoke pot for either of my pregnancies but really wish I had at least had access to it! Things just timed out that I didn't know anyone with any connections right then, but I get HORRIBLE nausea/vomiting for 90% of my 9 months, where I lose weight and can't keep food down. I would have been a LOT happier and healthier if I had that option at the time. FWIW I do know quite a few women who have smoked during their pregnancies, and their kids are normal, healthy, and happy. If I felt like I needed to, I wouldn't hesitate to use it to keep me from ending up in the hospital from dehydration and weight loss.

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#113 of 113 Old 07-22-2009, 11:19 AM

I smoked a bit, here and there. There have been no developmental problems in ds that we have seen.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page