anyone not have a cake for dc's 1st bday? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my mother is "mortified" that we're not getting dd a special cake for her birthday because we are "depriving" her of what all kids get. did anyone decide not to have a 1st birthday cake? i'm not against cake or anything but i'm not a fan of giving her that sugary frosting to lick. i rather make her a nice meal and watch her try to lick the wrapping paper on her gifts. my mother insists we are the only parents who are doing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 04:57 PM

We did have one - but wait. My son hated it and thought it was the worst thing ever.

It was for us, not him anyway. He had an oatmeal banana muffin.

There's no need for a cake! Have what you like.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#3 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 04:57 PM

I made a banana cake with cream cheese icing for dd's 1st b-day, and she didn't want anything to do with it! Not even one taste. She thought the candle was pretty cool though.
#4 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 04:58 PM

Do what feels right to you. Personally, I like the idea of a 'healthy' cake for baby if you don't want them havig frosting/egg/whathaveyou in regular cakes.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tipFirstBDay.htm There are some to consider at that link (it was the first page I saw when I googled)

I was very much the same way when dd was turning 1. I have to admit, I;m far more lax now, and while I might consider it for ds, I may well go ahead and let him smash the far-too-sugary-unhealthy 'smash cake' the bakery offers with 1st bday cakes...
#5 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 04:59 PM

We didn't do a cake, but I made cupcakes and frosted them with homemade frosting. DS didn't really know what to do with it, as he hadn't had many solids by then. I gave him a little lick of the frosting off my finger, and he wasn't too impressed.

You could do something besides a cake. Here's a link with a few good ideas. http://ecochildsplay.com/2008/05/01/...birthday-cake/

I like the yogurt alternative. You could do cupcakes and frost them for everyone else, and give your LO a cupcake frosted with yogurt. That way you could still get the cute "first birthday" photo.

Jen...wife to Shawn...Radically Unschooling Mommy to Connor (4/03), Autumn (1/07) Aiden (1/08) and Ella (10/14/09) Just had the of our dreams!
#6 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 05:00 PM

We didn't do traditional cake as DS was still dealing with a dairy intolerence at the time which he's since grown out of. I made a homemade carrot cake and the guests added icing (cream cheese) on their own slices.

That said, I was very sad to not get the opportunity to let DS have a "real" cake and when my bff's LO turned two last month I let him go to town. As long as it's only an occasional treat, sugar isn't harmful.

It's a parental decision and it isn't going to hurt your DD either way. It doesn't matter if you are the only parent doing it, she's yours and you can do her first b-day any way you please. (Although the other guests may be upset if they are expecting cake. We only had family, if you are having a larger party expectations may be different.)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#7 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenners26 View Post
We didn't do a cake, but I made cupcakes and frosted them with homemade frosting. DS didn't really know what to do with it, as he hadn't had many solids by then. I gave him a little lick of the frosting off my finger, and he wasn't too impressed.

You could do something besides a cake. Here's a link with a few good ideas. http://ecochildsplay.com/2008/05/01/...birthday-cake/

I like the yogurt alternative. You could do cupcakes and frost them for everyone else, and give your LO a cupcake frosted with yogurt. That way you could still get the cute "first birthday" photo.
Love this idea. Thank you and thank you to everyone else who responded.
#8 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 05:07 PM

Mine didn't have a cake of any kind. But we didn't have a party either so it didn't really come up. We went to the aquarium downtown with the ILs on her birthday so a cake would have been inconvenient.

DD seems not to have noticed the omission

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#9 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
We didn't do traditional cake as DS was still dealing with a dairy intolerence at the time which he's since grown out of. I made a homemade carrot cake and the guests added icing (cream cheese) on their own slices.

That said, I was very sad to not get the opportunity to let DS have a "real" cake and when my bff's LO turned two last month I let him go to town. As long as it's only an occasional treat, sugar isn't harmful.

It's a parental decision and it isn't going to hurt your DD either way. It doesn't matter if you are the only parent doing it, she's yours and you can do her first b-day any way you please. (Although the other guests may be upset if they are expecting cake. We only had family, if you are having a larger party expectations may be different.)
It's just going to be us and the grandparents if they can make it b/c her birthday is in the middle of the week. I'm really excited to take her to the zoo that morning.
#10 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 05:10 PM

Nope, no cake...just cupcakes. DS didn't get a cake until his 3rd birthday and only had one bite as he was too interested in what was going on at his party!
#11 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 06:51 PM

hi

#12 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 06:55 PM

We've never been much into the birthday cake (or any cake) thing, especially when the kids were very small. I REALLY don't think a 1 yr old is going to feel deprived of a birthday cake - she's really a bit young to even get the concept of a birthday, let along a special birthday cake.
#13 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 07:16 PM

I didn't want DS1 to have a cake because he had never had sugar (I mean, except for like whats in fruit or plain yogurt or something). I caved into everyone's pleas that he must have cake because the bakery gave a smaller cake for babies to smash.

Well it was HORRIBLE. He was eating it like crazy and got so wired and then sick and then grumpy and I won't ever do that again. DS2's birthday is this weekend and we were going to get a watermelon with whipped cream (homemade with no sugar) so he can still smash stuff in his face. But we can't find any watermelon's so I'll probably bake a small cake of some sort for him. Guess I better figure it out quick
#14 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 07:29 PM

DS had a cupcake that he didn't eat.

That was our big celebration.
#15 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We won't be doing a cake either. I don't see not giving her a bunch of sugar that would probably make her incredibly sick since we never eat it as "depriving" her. I would rather her feel good on her b-day. I plan on giving her a big bowl of yogurt with fruit so that she can make a big mess if she wants to and have fun with it.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#16 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 PM

We decorated a round cake-sized slab of watermelon with blueberries, raspberries, and kiwi. Dd still got to blow out a candle and dig in and make a horrid mess. Dd had trouble working up to solids and grains were a big problem at that time so any sort of cake was going to be an issue....
#17 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 08:04 PM

we did homemade blueberry tarts. everyone was happy. baby still got to make the cake mess people seem to associate with first birthdays
#18 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 08:24 PM

We did sugar free carrot-cake muffins. She loved them.
#19 of 46 Old 04-01-2009, 10:50 PM

We're fans of doing a traditional birthday cake for the guests and a baby sized applesauce sweetened cake for the birthday baby. That way we still get adorable pics of our little one destroying a cake without the crazy sugar meltdown.

Happy birthday to your little!

*Oh and I am totally stealing the yogurt frosting idea for DS2!*

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#20 of 46 Old 04-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Banned

No cake here - she didn' t mind! We were staying with my parents at a lovely guest house by the beach, and had a gourmet dinner in their little restaurant. DD had organic baked beans (her favourite!), and carrot-muffins I usually make for her (milk, wheat, egg and sugar free).

We adults shared some decadent desserts!
#21 of 46 Old 04-02-2009, 12:26 AM

We did a vegan carrot/apple cake for DD's first birthday, with cream cheese frosting. On her piece we left off the frosting. The cake was so good that DH requested it for his own birthday twice since then!

I think it's fine not to do one if that's your choice, but there are alternatives to sugary junk if you want to look into them.
#22 of 46 Old 04-02-2009, 02:00 AM

we made a carrot cake. we all liked it, but ds thought it was terrible, and wouldnt even taste it, lol i would never give a bunch of sugary cake and ice cream to a baby! the only thing i deprived my ds of was the stomachache and puking that wouldve happened from him eating the sweets. not that he wouldve eaten them anyway!

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#23 of 46 Old 04-02-2009, 02:22 AM

dd is not 1 yet, but dh really wants to do icecream cake, i might settle on a frozen yogurt cake... but i still have a few months to think on this.
#24 of 46 Old 04-02-2009, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey View Post
my mother is "mortified" that we're not getting dd a special cake for her birthday because we are "depriving" her of what all kids get. did anyone decide not to have a 1st birthday cake? i'm not against cake or anything but i'm not a fan of giving her that sugary frosting to lick. i rather make her a nice meal and watch her try to lick the wrapping paper on her gifts. my mother insists we are the only parents who are doing this.
I felt like this too so I did a carrot cake, with minimal frosting. SHe LOVED it!

wife. dd1 : dd2
#25 of 46 Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 PM

I am searching for recipes since ds2s first bday is right around the corner. For ds1 I did a Cherrybrook Farms cake and frosting mix that was wheat free/gluten free and a regular cake for the guests.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#26 of 46 Old 07-30-2009, 11:07 PM

On her 1st birthday my dd wasn't eating wheat, dairy OR eggs yet. We did cupcakes for guests and she got watermelon, which she was very pleased with.

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#27 of 46 Old 07-31-2009, 02:03 AM

I did a homemade sweetpotato or pumpkin pie for my lo's 1st b-day.

They loved it, and could really 'dig in' and getit all over their face! Fun pics!

If it was cake - they wouldn't have taken a single bite.
#28 of 46 Old 07-31-2009, 02:04 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbailey View Post
No, we didn't have a cake for ds' 1st b-day, even though my MIL pitched a fit.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#29 of 46 Old 07-31-2009, 03:51 AM

I'm leaning towards not giving my son cake when he turns one next week. I don't think the MIL is very happy. When she found out that I'm not throwing a party she was kinda peeved. Today she said to my son "I think your mom needs to make you a chocolate cake for your birthday." Um, no.

I'm not doing anything because he's one, he doesn't get it. When there was singing and I blew out the candles on my cake last week he looked totally confused. As soon as the candles were out he slid off my lap and went back to pushing my uncle's wheelchair while my uncle was still in it.
#30 of 46 Old 07-31-2009, 09:38 AM

We didn't. For DS1 we gave him a bowl of strawberries w/ some fresh whipped cream (and a candle!), for DS2 I broke down and made a delish orange sponge whipped cream frosting cake--for the adults, lol. The baby got to look at the cake, but he got some fresh fruit to eat.

IMO the whole party, let alone the cake, is for the adults, so do what you want, y/k?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page