doctor said ear infections are my fault - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Parenting > doctor said ear infections are my fault
j924's Avatar j924 03:28 PM 04-10-2009
I did not read the pps so I apologize if I am restating a point. My two oldest were both vaxed exactly on schedule (my pre MDC days). My oldest had about a million ear infections. Second child 1 her whole life. Vaxes had nothing to do wiht it.

chaoticzenmom's Avatar chaoticzenmom 06:40 PM 04-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
Ear infections have nothing to do with vaxines. I will say ear infections have ALOT to do with diet.
I would really consider taking her off of dairy and seeing if the infections stop. While growing up I constantly had ear infections. As did my husband. His to the point they removed his tonsils(why we've not figured out). Since both of us stopped eating dairy(or severly limited it) we never got another ear infection. So when ds was born we decided to never give him dairy. One day he started acting like he had an ear infection, turns out he did, wondered how he got it and then found out that dh's parents had been feeding him dairy and sugar. Once we let his body get rid of the dairy and sugar, gave him eardrops of warm olive oil, garlic and a touch of tea tree oil. Made him drink a ton of miso soup with bulbs of garlic pureed into it. The ear infection went away with no antibiotics needed. He's still not had antibiotics.
Dh and I even eat a little dairy and it feels like our ears filling up with liquid we get congested and feel horrible.

I would consider taking her off of all dairy for atleast a month and see if she seems better.
This is exactly what I was going to post. I get ear infections once a year my whole life...but since I've cut milk (4 years ago), I haven't had one. My oldest 2 children have had some bad ear infections also, but since cutting milk...nothing. Also, their tonsils shrank and they stopped snoring.

Oh and my son had that stupid prevnar vax and he had constant ear infections his first 3 years....so much for that.
Your ped is using scare tactics and misinformation.
Heavenly's Avatar Heavenly 06:53 PM 04-10-2009
Take her for naturopathic food sensitivity testing. When our son was little he had ear infections constantly. They were wanting to put tubes in his ears. We found out he was sensitive to dairy and we removed it from his diet. No more ear infections! The only time he ever has them is if he gets some dairy. Oh, my kids are completely unvaxxed as well.
mamazee's Avatar mamazee 07:07 PM 04-10-2009
Some kids tend to get ear infections and some don't. I sincerely doubt there's any relationship at all between them and vaccines. That just sounds like a ped's manipulative attempt to talk you into vaccinating. Anything at all can be blamed on anything they want you to do.
straighthaircurly's Avatar straighthaircurly 07:47 PM 04-10-2009
Wow, he certainly had an agenda! My son happens to be fully vaxed and he had non-stop ear infections or fluid in his ears from 7 months to 14 months when I finally smartened up and took him to a chiropractor. No more ear infections after that I think that doc is full of BS. Vaxed kids still get just as many colds as non-vaxed and ear infections come from the fluid in the sinuses not being able to drain through the Eustacian tubes, add a little bacteria and there you go, ear infection. The lack of drainage can be due to misalignment in the neck, genetically narrow tubes, inflammation from food allergies or sensitivities, etc. but he cannot draw any conclusion about the source of your son's ear infections without cultures of the bacteria present and further information about other causes in your son's specific situation. To draw a generalization like he did and apply it to your specific case without proof was completely unprofessional and irresponsible.
lilyka's Avatar lilyka 08:11 PM 04-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
As did my husband. His to the point they removed his tonsils(why we've not figured out).
Every time my tonsils get inflamed I get a freaking ear infection in my right ear. drives me freaking crazy. i won't lie. too scared to get my tonsils out though. it is bloody painful mess for grown ups and I would rather have ear infections. the tie in for me is that my tonsils swell and block drainage from ears. (my tonsils really swell up big to the point of leaving very little room for sucking air down. I know . . .I should really get this taken care of.) its a mess but your ear, nose and throat are all connected and when one part swells up it can cause the others to be off.

as for what the Dr. said. you know what. he may be right. but that doesn't mean the risks are worth the benefits. ask him for more information if you are interested. Don't automatically assume he is wrong. you might decide this is the right path for you. I am not for or against vaccines. it is a choice I evaluate and make on a daily basis. each vaccine is different. each child is different. Fortunately I have a Dr. who is willing to treat me like the intelligent adult I am and discuss things with me. but part of that is that I do not automatically assume he is the enemy or that he doesn't know what he is talking about. We both have a lot of information and we work together to put the pieces together. but in the end it is my choice because I am the parent. but as the parent it is my job to listen to our well chosen Dr and make sure I have all sides of the story before making a decision. Honestly you have gotten a lot of good advice (dairy and chiro) that I would certainly try before jumping to a vaccine. nothing bad can happen from trying either of those things first.

and for what it is worth out of three kids the only one who ever got an ear infection (and several at that) is the one who got the Hib vaccine. did it reduce the number of ear infections she would have had? i don't know. we will never know. but clearly she was more prone to them from the very beginning.
Breeder's Avatar Breeder 09:22 PM 04-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by j924 View Post
I did not read the pps so I apologize if I am restating a point. My two oldest were both vaxed exactly on schedule (my pre MDC days). My oldest had about a million ear infections. Second child 1 her whole life. Vaxes had nothing to do wiht it.
This is us too. Both kids were vaxed on a delayed schedule, DS1 didn't have a single ear infection until he was six years old.... and then it has just been the one so far. DS2 has had THREE ear infections and he just turned 10 months old (and eliminating dairy has done nothing so far).
AutumnMama's Avatar AutumnMama 09:25 PM 04-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
Well,anecdotes aren't really proving the case.

But I would have been surprised and said (well, in my dreams where I'm all intellligent and verbal and so on) "Wow - I had no idea that they have proven that HiB strain that the vaccination covers is the sole or even primary cause of ear infections! That is a major discovery! Can you provide me with references? I'd also love to see some hard numbers on the effacy of the vaccine." Oh, and also, "So this means you are diagnosing her with the HiB virus? Do we have labwork to back that up?"

phrogger's Avatar phrogger 10:51 PM 04-10-2009
I haven't read the responses but my oldest son is fully vaxed and he has had at least 10 ear infections. My younger son is not vaxed (or wasn't with any until he was 6 years old) and has never had an ear infection in his life.

MOST ear infections according to friends who are Dr's and a conference I went to with a dr. friend on ear infections and sinus infections ALL say that they are 90% of the time viral, meaning no anti biotics are needed at all and basically it is like a cold that has moved to the ear. Dairy can inflame the ear drum and make it look infected as well.
Storm Bride's Avatar Storm Bride 02:26 AM 04-11-2009
That particular vax wasn't available for me, my sister, ds1 or my oldest nephew. That said...I had one ear infection in my entire childhood. My sister got at least 3/4 a year.

DS1 had his first one ever a year ago - at 14 (a week before his 15th birthday). My nephew used to get them at least 6 times a year, sometimes more. He had tubes put in, for his hearing, when he was 5, and the frequency of ear infections was reduced, but he still got them 2-3 times a year until he was about 11 or 12.

My sister and I had the same vaxes (except that she didn't get smallpox, because she always had rashes). DS1 and my nephew had the same vaxes. Nonetheless, our rates of ear infections were very different.
Jojo F.'s Avatar Jojo F. 02:45 AM 04-11-2009
Just wanted to add, DH had all of his vaxes and "had" to have tubes put in.

Can you put BM in the ears?
HarperRose's Avatar HarperRose 03:16 AM 04-11-2009
Scare tactics.

I DID vax my oldest ds through 9 mos and once the vaccines stopped so did his ear infections. Wonder of wonders.

Now, both of my older ones have had ear infections from time to time since then (dd has never been vaxed), but definitely not to the degree that ds1 was getting them as an infant.

Ds2 is, so far, ear infection free. (And vax free.)
momma-molly's Avatar momma-molly 11:36 AM 04-11-2009
Your doc is just being a bully.

Its the Prevnar vax that is "supposed" to help prevent ear infections, not the HIB. FWIW, my daughter is on a delayed schedule and we skipped Prevar and she's never had an ear infection or needed to be on any kind of antibiotic in almost 14 months of life.
hippiemum21580's Avatar hippiemum21580 01:11 PM 04-11-2009
Hmmm, fascinating theory. Here's MY ironic twist: I vaccinated my oldest son ON schedule till he was 18 months old. He had one ear infection. I did not vaccinate my other 4 AT ALL. There have been NO ear infections at all from any of them.
Soundslike he is one of those docs that takes it personally if you delay vax's or chose to not vax at all. I had a nurse in the hospital like that when I had my youngest. When I told her I was not planning on vaccinating...She wanted me to have him get the one for whooping cough...she lookedme straight in my face and said "Do you know how serious that illness is? If a baby gets it, they can die. He could DIE." Holy crap!? If I had been uninformed or younger or something I probably would have been effectivly scared into that vaccination! WTF????
Logan's mommy's Avatar Logan's mommy 02:01 PM 04-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by meagansroses View Post
so i took my daughter into the walk in care the other day cause she appeared to have another ear infection. (all the normal signs we get with her) this is her 6th one in the past year by the way so the doctor on call confirms that is her problem and then tells me that if i had gotten her vaxed on schedule we wouldn't have this problem. he said that the hib vax is supposed to keep them from getting ear infections and has been proven that children who've had the vax have less ear problems.

so now i'm confused cause i've never heard of this before and i don't want to believe it. it sounds like horse poop to me but i thought i'd ask around and see what all you knowledgable ladies have to say. can you point me to more info on this or is it hog wash. thanks in advance.
I had ear infections all the time when I was little. The ped would give me amoxicillin and it would look like it was doing the job, until a few days after my last dose... I probably had more than 6 in a year. We finally switched doctors (my bro had bronchitis, for the millionth time and the doc said there was nothing he could do but if bro turned blue to take him to the ER.) and once we were seen by the new doc they gave me a different antibiotic and I've never had another ear infection since.
Minerva's Avatar Minerva 01:04 AM 04-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemum21580 View Post
Soundslike he is one of those docs that takes it personally if you delay vax's or chose to not vax at all. I had a nurse in the hospital like that when I had my youngest. When I told her I was not planning on vaccinating...She wanted me to have him get the one for whooping cough...she lookedme straight in my face and said "Do you know how serious that illness is? If a baby gets it, they can die. He could DIE." Holy crap!? If I had been uninformed or younger or something I probably would have been effectivly scared into that vaccination! WTF????
FWIW, I had a doctor try the "she could DIE" routine about chickenpox, of all things. What a UAV. After that, DH came around to the no-vax camp.

Purely for the record, we're both prone to sinus problems here. I had almost constant ear infections as a child. My (completely unvaxed) DD has never had an ear infection. Go figure.
Bug-a-Boo's Mama's Avatar Bug-a-Boo's Mama 11:57 AM 04-12-2009
What a rude doctor!!! : DS is vaxed on schedule and last year during a two month period had three infections, and they might have all been in both ears. Whatever. You should have dotted him in the eye!
1  2

Up