television watching - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How much television viewing do you allow?
None 12 14.12%
Weekly limit 1-3 hours 8 9.41%
Daily limit of 1 hr per day or less 10 11.76%
Daily limit varies 16 18.82%
Special occassions & videos (monthly) 7 8.24%
unrestricted (child & peers decide) 3 3.53%
content restriction (no digimon, pokemon...) 6 7.06%
educational only (documentaries) 2 2.35%
specific stations (ie PBS, Discovery...) 21 24.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I trying to formulate a tv policy for my household. Looking for ideas. Currently, we have no policy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 11:20 AM

Not much but then when I am busy or someone's sick or cranky... I do limit what they watch. No shows with any violence (which seems like every show). They are allowed to watch a little while they get ready for school (like 1 show) and then maybe a show or 2 after school. No TV on a school night. We never rent videos because it just encourages more watching.

My youngest (almost 3) watches 2 shows that's it.

We just got cable about 6 yr ago and I notice Dh and I watch more because of it. We go back and forth about getting rid of the cable and just having the regular channels. <sigh> I just don;t know.
#3 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 02:59 PM

It was hard for me to pick only one as I fall into a few. We have a TV in our room and I might watch 1/2-1 hour a night. The girls have a TV/VCR combo in their room, that has no cable hookup, and are only allowed to watch movies (pre-screened by me). Then there is a TV downstairs that is for Videogames, but has cable hooked to it. The girls go down there to watch maybe 3 times a week for about a half hour. I do not set a time limit as they get extremely bored in no time at all so it isn't necessary. They also never play video games so the playstation and Nintendo are useless.
#4 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 08:18 PM
Ame

We dont have a set amount of time they can watch TV. They in general are not allowed to watch TV. If they do get to watch TV, it is only Animal Planet or PBS, or other educational program. If there is any ignoring, bickering, or other negative side effect to the TV it is turned off immediatly. The kids know the boundaries. They know they have to ask to change the channel or if the program ends and a new begins, they have to ask if they can watch or not. They are usually careful not to abuse the priveledge because they dont get it often and know they will get it less or not at all if it causes problems. We are also ALWAYS in the room or within ear shot of the TV, so they know we know whats going on.

I'd say over all they may watch TV once a week or once every two weeks for no more than 30 - 45 mintues, but its not a rule or guarantee.
#5 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 08:27 PM

I didn't pick one because I wasn't sure if you meant screen time, or actuall Television programming. We can only watch video's, dh and I detest television as a rule. However, dd clamors for movies just about every day. Whether I let her or not depends on 1. what I need to be able to do 2. what other choices for activities there are and 3. whether I feel like watching a movie too.

I do screen the movies for the most part. our faves are the sound of music, fantasia, charlotte's web, the sword and the stone, the wizard of oz, and the Muzzy videos we have out from the library.
#6 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 3boys4us
We go back and forth about getting rid of the cable and just having the regular channels. <sigh> I just don;t know.
Oh, so do we! We have gone back and forth like six times in the last six years! Our two biggest reasons for keeping cable are: 1) we get all the Red Sox games that way and 2) our good friends have our antenna and we don't want to ask for it back!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#7 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 08:57 PM

I picked daily limit varies. Up until I got sick, they were watching maybe an hour or two per week. We only have one TV and it doesn't have cable. I don't let them watch anything with commercials so that limits us to PBS (which comes in with the antenna) and videos. I screen the videos. Since I've been sick, they watch about an hour to an hour and a half per day. It's killing me but I really need a break. Only a few more weeks of that!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#8 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 09:16 PM

We have a tv but the only channel that we get in is PBS (when it feels like it), so we only watch videos. How much is watched varies from day to day. Sometimes dd will go days without watching anything...but on average she watches about an hour a day. During the week she can only watch "educational" videos (blues clues, bear in the big blue house, arthur, seasme street), and during the weekend she is allowed to watch some of her favorite movies.
#9 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 09:25 PM

I said none because we don't own one. I imagine that this would be a difficult choice to make. The reason it wasn't difficult for me is that many years ago it was a choice my parents made. Growing up in a home without a tv had a huge influence on me, and though I've had one in the past, I wanted ds to have a similar experience.
#10 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 10:26 PM

i voted none. our tv lives in a closet and has only been brought out on a few occasions (the olympics and the first few days of 9/11). funny, we're not big sports fans (except the olympics), but dd has only seen sports! a bit of the olympics and when we've been in public places that have tv's on - like the pizza place - they always have sports on....
#11 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 10:32 PM

We don't really own a tv either. Our also sits in a closet (where it is waiting to be given away someday) and is only brought out very rarely. So we watch no tv. It really isn't an issue if you don't have one. I was also brought up in a house without a tv.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#12 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 10:39 PM

OT: Megs Mom...Go Sox..I'm watching them right now!!

I voted an hour or less a day but we also restrict the channels.
I'm trying to cut back even more. Should be much easier now that Spring is here!

peggy
#13 of 32 Old 04-17-2002, 11:08 PM

I voted 1-3 per week, but 90% of that is Saturday or Sunday mornings. Dd gets up before us and watches tv until we get up, and we have checked, and she watches reasonable shows. We have loads of movies, but she doesn't watch them much any more.
#14 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 03:17 AM

my mother records sesame street and other PBS shows for ds and we have the baby einstein videos but he can only watch in the evening and sometimes during the day if he hasnt watched tv much lately. we want to get out and get things done before we lounge.

we dont have cable and wont get it because its too easy for all of us to veg in front of the tube! we dont restrict tv watching at the grandparents house . we want ds to see how they live and what they do and watch. besides i like to watch the tellie when im over there too. its usually the news or a baby story! discovery and tlc are so cool!
AngelaB
#15 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My kids watch one or two 30 min videos a day during the week. One of those is calm down time while I am cleaning up from dinner, then they take a bath together. They occasionally watch sesame street or something of that nature but the don't usually watch more than an hour in a day unless we're sick. Then we camp out on the couch and watch movies while drifting in and out of sleep. Luckily we are only that sick once or twice a year

-Heather

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#16 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My tv rules have changed throughout the years. My son started watching TV around age 2 (pbs in the early mornings). He pretty much just watched 1-2 hours a day duing the week of PBS for quite sometime, along with an occasional video. Then, at his granparents house they started letting him watch Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon etc (around age 5 I think), and I noticed a HUGE behavior change in him. He wanted EVERYTHING, and nagged and misbehaved. So I limited his tv viewing to videos. I let him watch "junk" videos like Scooby Doo because I found that for my son, as long as there weren't any commercials his behavior didn't change. For us, it was an issue of advertising.....I don't think kids (or adults, for that matter!), should be bombarded the way they are. So anyway, we kept it at videos for a year, and then I allowed him some Disney (they don't really have commercials). Now, at 9, these are his limits: he is allowed to turn on the tv OR the computer (usually chooses computer) for about 1/2 hour in the mornings. He can't watch again until 7pm, when he again has the option of tv or computer unitl bedtime. I know for some, that's alot of tv! BUT, he is only allowed to watch Disney or Discovery. We recently added Discovery even though it has commercials because my son now knows to question advertising. So, after all this rambling (sorry! : ), what it boils down to is what works for your family.......and be flexible. Also, if you start early educating about advertising/commercials, and how tv isn't "real", your children will grow up to be responsible viewers. And also, my dh and I set a good example by not watching a lot of tv ourselves.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#17 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 01:54 PM

I didn't reply to the poll because I don't really know; some weeks we'll watch an hour, total; other, we'll watch 1/2 hour of Animal Planet a day.

I wnated to respond to the commercial thing; dh laughs at me b/c when we're watching TV with 2 yr old dd, I'll say, "See that honey? They're telling you if you use that cream/lotion/hairspray/etc. you'll be beautiful, smart and funny." DD looks at me very solemnly, and shakes her head slowly as she says, "No way; mercials are tewable."

HoneyFern

The Blog

Never let your schooling interfere with your education. ~Mark Twain~

#18 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 01:56 PM

None- we don't have tv.

Jim Trelease has a great section on TV policy in the Read-Aloud Handbook. He talks about his own experience with his kids and the policy that emerged for them.

-jeanie
#19 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 05:20 PM

we don't have a TV either.
#20 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 06:10 PM

ds is almost two and I do not let him watch on any regular basis-he sees his elmo vidoes or sesame street - now his father on the other hand has no problem with him watching t.v.-but he doesn't let him watch anything but Nick Jr. in the a.m....and that is not for long periods of time either. So I voted 1-3 hours a week-which is even high for us.
Our t.v just broke so of course I am doing the happy dance and dh is sad b/c he is a major t.v. watcher...lol

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#21 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 08:50 PM

I voted for only watching a specific station. My children are 6 and 2. We don't have cable and only watch PBS & videos from the library. Some days we we never get around to turning the tv on. Other days they watch up to 1 1/2 hours.

When we all seem to be getting a little to dependent on this eletronic entertainment, we put it away for a couple of months. Lately my two year old says 'Can I watch tv?' every time we walk in the front door after an outing...bleh. I have decided that it's time for a 'spring tv break' so on saturday I plan to lug the thing up to the attic. Won't dh be suprised when he gets home?!
#22 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 10:34 PM

Hi newbie here. IMO TV is an absolutely *wonderful* resource and we all watch whenever we have the inclination. I don't at all understand some people's fear of TV, as if the content of what you watch gets poured into your brain and makes you become that. Human minds are not empty buckets and the interaction of mind and resource offers lots of wonderful interactive learning. TV, books, movies, other people, cereal boxes, all offer lots of interesting ideas!
#23 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 10:43 PM

I voted for daily but an hour or less. My one vice is my soap opera "As the World Turns" which I tape and watch at night. I hate commercials so even if I do want to watch something I usually tape it so I can ff the commercials.

I do think tv can be a wonderful resource for information, especially PBS and TLC. I hate to rule it out completely, especially when I find videos to rent of awesome films that never made it to my local theater.
#24 of 32 Old 04-18-2002, 11:20 PM

I voted daily limit varies. Some days my ds will watch a few shows, other days he isn't really interested. I don't feel really strongly that all TV is bad for him, I watch him when a show is on that he likes, and he really isn't all that interested. He draws or plays with things on the floor even if it is a show he likes. We try to avoid violent TV, and if I see something objectionable, I sit down and talk about it with him. We love animal planet and some cartoons. He does watch vidios, but rarely in the nice weather.
#25 of 32 Old 04-19-2002, 10:32 AM

Location: Chester County, PA, but I'd rather run free amongst the sheep
Generally speaking, ds watches 1/2 hour before school, and one hour at night (8-9PM) during the week. If he prefers, that time could be used for video games instead. The video game thing is our fault - dh and I are HUGE game freaks.

On weekends, ds can watch Saturday morning cartoons until about 10AM, and the TV does not go back on until that magic hour of 8-9PM. On Sundays, the TV is off all say, except for the 8-9PM hour.

We screen all programs before he is allowed to watch them, and he never deviates. This is a child who would rather watch Steve Irwin jump around with crocodiles than Spiderman.

April
#26 of 32 Old 04-19-2002, 04:20 PM

None. We got rid of our TV three years ago, before we even had DD.

We talked about how we wanted to raise our kids and we both agreed we didn't want them inundated with all the crazy, mixed messages that TV bring into the home. Then, we decided that we wouldn't magically be able to give up TV any better when the kids arrived & we might as well start living the life we want to NOW.

We see TV at our parent's house and that's enough for us. We are always so amazed how TV's are left on while you're trying to TALK and VISIT. So, there is always this barrage of images and commercials competing for your attention.

DD is just 12 weeks now, and already I'm prepared to ask that the TV be off when we visit. We both find that it distracts US from paying attention to DD. Also, I wonder how the TV effects the attention span of developing minds.

As DD gets older, I think we will do movies on the weekends as a family tradition.
#27 of 32 Old 04-19-2002, 09:47 PM

I just wanted to say how impressed I am by those of you who have no TV, or have it stowed away in a closet or the attic or whatever. I aspire to that. I guess it's an "ideal" rather than a "value" in my life right now to have no TV. My daughter is four months, and I'm amazed at how the TV captivates her attention, as does the computer monitor. It's scary. I'm working towards less TV - I don't watch a ton, but I'd like to watch less than I do, especially as DD gets older.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#28 of 32 Old 04-20-2002, 12:17 AM

I am completely baffled by the no tv and regulating hours and such. To me it would be like having no books, or saying another person could only read say, 3 pages a day. There are months and months I'll go without watching anything, and then I'll find myself fascinated by a program .. and it may not even be for the obvious reasons ... maybe the camera angles are intriguing, maybe trying to figure out the intended 'audience' catches my interest (anyone seen 6 feet Under..wow! what production value, and so interesting to see the different relationships) then there are games to be played, like turning the sound down and playing music and seeing how the lyrics play out with the tv actions, very fun ... well, maybe it's just us, we all have very engaged, fascinated minds in my home and learn from just about everything, (really i think everyone does if permitted/helped to) ... heck, we don't even know where all our learning comes from, we just like to enjoy ourselves!Limits are so, well, ... limiting : )

Francine
#29 of 32 Old 04-20-2002, 12:40 AM

While I see your point, Francine, I have to say that I'm still happier with very limited television. I think commercials are offensive and a waste of time. I think it's sick how they try to use sex, even in the children's commercials, to sell products. Therefore, commercial TV is off limits for my kids. The kids were at my mom's today and they watched "The Magic Schoolbus". That is a wonderful series of books and a great learning tool, even on TV. However, there was a commercial about a 15 yo who already had two kids. Now, I realize that things like that happen, heck, I was a teenage mother but I really don't know that a show geared towards pre schoolers/early elem. needs commercials like that.

I think it's great what my kids do instead of watching TV. Even if they just lay and stare at the ceiling. They use their imaginations, they play together, alone, we play games, we talk. I hate the thought of the TV ever being the center, or even a big part, of our entertainment and/or learning.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#30 of 32 Old 04-20-2002, 12:51 AM

This is the issue I struggle with the most! I limit Annabelle to certain shows (Teletubbies, Bear in the Big Blue House, and Cailou) but she asks for other shows that are developmentally too advanced for her (Dragon Tales, Zaboomafoo, Sagwa, Bugs Bunny).
I guess I know in my heart to just stop all of the television watching, but my brain doubts my heart. My heart knows that it's better for her to actually go out and see the world and touch it and interact with it than see it on TV. I know that the images are too fast for her 20 month old brain to process sometimes. I do not want her to be a trained consumer (an PBS does the best of selling toys for their shows, in my opinion). Annabelle enjoys it and sometimes it's the only thing I can do to get work done that I can't involve her in. However, if she watches more than three hours a day she is very hard to deal with in that she throws temper tantrums, has no attention span, and won't eat. I do have a limit of no more than two hours a day and *no* tv if the sun is out.
We have Direct tv since our rabbit ears died and Radio Shack doesn't have *any* regular antennas (not at our store, at least). My television watching has gone up, but it's going back down and we are watching shows that are a lot better ("Buffy" got traded in for "Six Feet Under"). The Home and Garden Network has gotten me off my butt so now I am gardening.
It's all such a mixed bag! I get some good, I get some bad and I can't decide which is the larger or better bag. Oiff, such angst for such a small issue.

Elizabeth McKeeman
Momma to Annabelle 8/2/00

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page