It's Apparent You're A Parent When... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 155 Old 04-27-2009, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
- you like to wear t-shirts in off-white because milk spit-ups don't show like they used to on your navy blue ones!

- empty jelly jars are campsites for tadpoles

- you have a hard time falling asleep after your youngest one has left the family bed

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 155 Old 04-27-2009, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You feel a sense of camaraderie with your children's imaginary friends and have occasionally talked to them when the children in question are not around.
#93 of 155 Old 04-27-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Allen View Post
omg this happens every day and I was too embarrased to say anything because I thought I was alone on this one. It makes it so much worse when your have the pg sensitive nipple thing going on and your half alseep and BAM! they get squished.
My seven month old does this during his nightly yoga nursing. OUCH. Holy crud. *shudder*
#94 of 155 Old 04-27-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
you can say things like.. "no, i dont want to see your penis" "please stop wiggling your penis at me" without blinking

i make up songs as well, her favourite is

"pooper trooper, gunna change your nappy, cos you stink of poo (pa pa poo pa pa) yes you really do (pa pa poo pa pa) its a good job i love you" (to the tune of super trooper lol)
That is soooooo awesome!
Mine are: You have to put pants on to go outside.
And I respond to "Mama Dinosaurs" just as easily as I do mom.
#95 of 155 Old 05-03-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
- You've ever tried to reason with a newborn "There's no way you're hungry. Mommy just fed you 10mins ago."
i do this.
all. the. time.

i also provide a constant, running narrative to keep eden entertained....even even when i'm not w her apparently.

: single mom extraordinaire, keeper of eew since 02/09
#96 of 155 Old 05-03-2009, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

You have to force yourself to use "I" when in the company of others...you're so used to replacing it with "Mommy"

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#97 of 155 Old 05-03-2009, 02:07 AM

-when you refer to each other as Mommy and Daddy when there are no children around

-when the cashier at the store hands you a receipt and says "sign this" and you reply "please"

-you haven't seen alcohol or left home past 9 PM in years and years and yet your breasts are flashed around town at least once a day

-you have been awake for over 48 hours and the baby starts crying for the 18th time this night... you make eye contact, catch a glimpse of that smile, and realize you have never felt a love as overwhelming as this
#98 of 155 Old 05-03-2009, 02:30 AM

When you realize that you are *those people* who you would never be like, and are completely ok with it (ie. think your baby's messy eating face pictures are adorable and you want to show them off, you talk about poo with friends at dinner...tried EC and stuck to it because it actually makes sense)

Dog treats in your pockets have been replaced by cheerios

your drama over what to wear out now consist of what will be best for breastfeeding

have loved more deeply than you ever knew was possible

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#99 of 155 Old 05-03-2009, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post
-you haven't seen alcohol or left home past 9 PM in years and years and yet your breasts are flashed around town at least once a day
laughup

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#100 of 155 Old 05-03-2009, 03:19 AM

*When you worry about taking your ds to a park with a fire hydrant...he just might use it to go pee on instead of the bathroom (ds has been doing this lately and it is driving.me.nuts)

*When one of your boys gets all excited and screams for you to come to the restroom...to show you his "biggest poop EVER!"

*When your husband starts to kiss you on your neck and pulls back suddenly and asks if the baby has thrown up on your recently....and if you remembered to wipe it off....
#101 of 155 Old 05-03-2009, 03:15 PM

#102 of 155 Old 05-03-2009, 05:48 PM

when your stomach growls in church, and everyone thinks it was the baby filling his diaper. . .

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#103 of 155 Old 05-03-2009, 06:06 PM

When you go to work on Monday and when asked what exciting things you did this weekend, your answer is you went grocery shopping by yourself.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#104 of 155 Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
when your stomach growls in church, and everyone thinks it was the baby filling his diaper. . .
Funny side story...I took my DS to church for the first time today. We were doing communion and when the choir paused between songs he let out the biggest, nastiest sounding fart ever. I could have died!!

#105 of 155 Old 05-03-2009, 08:20 PM

when your (childless) company picks up a nugget of chocolate off the floor and realizes it's not ..... chocolate
#106 of 155 Old 05-03-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Funny side story...I took my DS to church for the first time today. We were doing communion and when the choir paused between songs he let out the biggest, nastiest sounding fart ever. I could have died!!
just wait till he's three, and can announce after said fart. . ."Mommy, I pass GAAASSSSS!!!"

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#107 of 155 Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
These are great!!

When you get puked on and you don't even consider changing, just rub it in!!

When YOU smell like baby puke because it's still in your hair.

When you are bouncing/rocking your whole body when you aren't wearing your baby.
I rub it in, too!

Tonight, while DS started crying while DH was holding him, I started rocking/bouncing the bowl of lunch I was holding!
#108 of 155 Old 05-04-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
My DS did this our second time to church!

Mine:

...When you clip your nails shorter so your LO can chew on them without hurting his mouth.
#109 of 155 Old 05-04-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
When you go to work on Monday and when asked what exciting things you did this weekend, your answer is you went grocery shopping by yourself.
Or when your husband asks what you did today you can't think of a single thing, and so answer lamely, "Well... I did the dishes...." :

When you're holding an armful of laundry and have to stop for a moment to take care of something else, you start rocking it and even kiss it because the only other thing you hold like that is your baby.

reading.gif Wife to DH geek.gif  since 08/06. Mother to Eleanor Rose energy.gif, born 10/12/08.  h20homebirth.gif
#110 of 155 Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 PM

I have actually kissed my own shoulder!

Niemals Gewalt
#111 of 155 Old 05-04-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Yes. Grocery shopping alone is a rare treat for me.
#112 of 155 Old 05-05-2009, 11:26 AM

...when there is a little child on his hands and knees drinking out of the dog-cat water dish.

caffix.gif

#113 of 155 Old 05-05-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
You don't remember the last time you went to the bathroom with the door shut.

You exclaim "A bike!" every time you see one because DS is so infatuated with them, even when you are by yourself.
YES! both of these!
I don't remember the last time I peed without an audience!!
&

A DOG! look! It's a DOG! WOOF! WOOF!
#114 of 155 Old 05-09-2009, 02:00 AM

-when you hand the baby to your DH so you can use the restroom and he has to come retrieve you because you have fallen asleep on the toilet
#115 of 155 Old 05-09-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
- You've ever tried to reason with a newborn "There's no way you're hungry. Mommy just fed you 10mins ago."
! all the time with my 6 month old!

When you have dinner with two other couples, one who also has a newborn on their laps, the other couple is newly engaged. The parents talk about poop the whole meal, then your LO (who has been nursing this whole time) spits up all down your back (which also lands on the floor with an audible SPAT), and the un-parents get up and politely exit. Later on, clearing the dishes, you realize that the un-parents didn't finish half their food. And they aren't interested in coming to dinner the next week.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#116 of 155 Old 05-09-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
When you are bouncing/rocking your whole body when you aren't wearing your baby.
I rock anything - i could be standing in line at the store, without kids, not holding anything, and still be swaying back and forth :

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMomma View Post
When you find yourself spelling out words to your DP, no kids in sight.
If it wasnt for kids - my spelling would still stink! Thanks to kids - i can spell anything now (no - i'm not kidding - my spelling is terrible, and it actually has improved since having kids!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoablessing View Post
...when you're not sure if the brown spot on your arm is chocolate or poop and then you lick it to find out.
Sniff it first - that's what i do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
well, he says it tastes good. . .
he likes to eat lotion in general, though. . . and I don't know why.
My middle child ate stick deodorant when she was 2 1/2 - LOL - apparently that taste good too (or maybe it was the scent of it?). Poison control assured me, 3 times i called in, that she'd have to eat more then 1 stick to be poisoned (good to know!

which adds: You have Poison control on speed dial!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojojojo View Post
* When you find yourself listening to or singing kids' songs even when there's nobody else around.
Doesn't ever grown adult love Laurie Berkner? :

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#117 of 155 Old 05-09-2009, 05:06 PM

When you and DP are driving in the car with no children but there is a CD playing singing "the wheel on the bus go...." and you dont realize for at least a mile, YOU DONT HAVE TO PLAY THIS!!!!

When most of the DVR recordings are of kid shows

you have picked up vomit. A lot.

When both of you are so tired and DH mixes breastmilk into his coffee without even realizing it. Yes, done this.

When you can have a serious discussion regarding peeing and pooping. Enough said.

You plan your day around the poop schedule and nap time.

When you use the term potty without children around.

When you make sure everyone including your DP has gone potty before leaving. and it is potty btw!!

Sleeping late is 7am. Going to bed late is 11pm

Going to a restrnt without menus that come with crayons is heaven.

You spend your extra money on webkinz.

You indoor/backyard decor is done by Little Tyke and Rainbow systems.

You can go into any room in your house and play.

You have Good Night Moon memorized. "and the quiet old lady whispering..."

You can now spell things quickly and to another adult and understand when they spell it out to you. Sadly, when you child is about 6, they can now understand too....

You have been kicked in the boobs, belly, crotch, leg, any other place by a 6 mo old cosleeper at your side. And so has DP. My DH has had his chest hair pulled etc.

You finally get a date night out and all you guys talk about is your L/O!

I could go on and on....

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#118 of 155 Old 05-09-2009, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
... when you no longer carry a purse coz it keeps getting full of rocks, stilcks and leaves.

instead you carry a wallet that has feathers adn little treasures like beads, confetti falling out of it.

my dd is 6 1/2. i am back in school full time so i have a heavy back pack. and i find myself still... STILL swaying if i hold the backpack in front if i had to take something out.

... when your grammar dramatically improves.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#119 of 155 Old 05-09-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjazzy View Post

*when you barely notice the baby smears across your glasses anymore; just peer around them to type
Oh god yes. The grabby six month old and his giant, usually slobbery, Hulk strengthed hands and my glasses. good times.

You know you are a parent of a grabby infant when you've just put away the dangly earrings for the time being and went with studs, or none.
#120 of 155 Old 05-09-2009, 06:25 PM

When you find yourself making a round of calls to all the important people in your life, (i.e., daddy at work, grandma on her cell, grandad at work, and best friend who is also a mother) to allow the little one to make the all-grand announcment of:..

a successful poop on the potty.

:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page