Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Parenting (http://www.mothering.com/forum/35-parenting/)
-   -   It's Apparent You're A Parent When... (http://www.mothering.com/forum/35-parenting/1074550-s-apparent-you-re-parent-when.html)

AFWife 04-22-2009 06:04 PM

- Your children are cleaner than you are.

- You don't realize you haven't eaten until hours after you've fed everyone else.

- Being peed on, puked on, or even pooped on doesn't faze you because it happens daily.




Add yours!

faerierose 04-22-2009 06:07 PM

You think it's normal to say things like "Cats are not for licking" and "Please don't put the raisins up your nose"

HappilyEvrAfter 04-22-2009 06:19 PM

When you can't find your lipstick because your purse if full of crayons, toy cars, snotty tissues, the lovey, a juice box, etc....

tessie 04-22-2009 06:22 PM

When you'll sleep in baby vomit rather than change the sheet, just to grab an extra five minutes of sleep.

emamum 04-22-2009 06:24 PM

you cheer when the baby poo's :

AFWife 04-22-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie View Post
When you'll sleep in baby vomit rather than change the sheet, just to grab an extra five minutes of sleep.
The baby vomits on you and you think "I should change shirts." It's the very end of the day before you realize you never actually did so...

NiteNicole 04-22-2009 06:38 PM

Your really exciting night at the theater involves cookies, milk, and dinosaurs.

mamarootoo 04-22-2009 06:47 PM

you listen to your college-age brother talking about finals week (and the grueling all night study sessions) and wish you could trade places with him... so that you could get more sleep!

Snuzzmom 04-22-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerierose View Post
You think it's normal to say things like "Cats are not for licking" and "Please don't put the raisins up your nose"
"We don't vacuum the dog."

* A 10PM bedtime is a late night
* Getting a sitter two nights in a row seems like a luxury bordering on gross extravagance
* You enthusiastically ask your DH about his "poops" when potty-learning ears are in listening distance-- and esnthusiastically discuss your own
* Waking up at 9AM is sleeping late
* You can no longer watch TV shows or movies where children are hurt (like L&O:SVU... I used to love that show. There's no way I can watch it now).

AFWife 04-22-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuzzmom View Post
* You can no longer watch TV shows or movies where children are hurt (like L&O:SVU... I used to love that show. There's no way I can watch it now).
When I first found out I was pregnant I was watching an episode of CSI that involved a child being molested and killed...I had to watch it in short pieces because it was so disturbing.

kirstenb 04-22-2009 07:25 PM

You don't remember the last time you went to the bathroom with the door shut.

You exclaim "A bike!" every time you see one because DS is so infatuated with them, even when you are by yourself.

MusicianDad 04-22-2009 07:26 PM

You start wondering if sex-ed teachers and instructed to talk about how much having a child can "ruin your life" because your life is better now that you have kids then it ever was before.

You start singing you LO's favourite kids song on the bus on your way home from the store because it's stuck in your head now.

You turn down a night out with a friend because you have other plans that you don't want to miss... that include popcorn, pillows and blankets in the living room and a G rated movie.

Ellen Griswold 04-22-2009 07:27 PM

...when you have caught vomit in your hands without flinching.

...when you have nursed a child in a forward facing carseat while still being buckled in yourself.

...when you have to ask that underwear be worn at the dinnertable.

jenners26 04-22-2009 07:49 PM

*When your entire life is affected by if the baby has pooped yet or not.
*When you can whip up four different dinners for four different people in less than 20 minutes.
*When you spend more on diapers in a month than you do on clothes for yourself in a year.
*When you can clean up just about anything with nothing but baby wipes.
*When you find yourself looking forward to Jack Black being on Yo Gabba Gabba!
*When you find yourself watching iCarly and actually liking it long after the children are in bed. (Don't judge me...Spencer is hilarious!)

DaughterOfKali 04-22-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post

You exclaim "A bike!" every time you see one because DS is so infatuated with them, even when you are by yourself.
My son fixates on things and I had definitely found myself doing that sort of thing.

MusicianDad 04-22-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
My son fixates on things and I had definitely found myself doing that sort of thing.
Dh and I have definitely said over the years things like "Cat!" "Look a horse!" and "There's Orlando Bloom!"

angelamariebee 04-22-2009 07:55 PM

When you can sucessfully snappi a prefold on a sleeping baby without waking them.

When you know what the terms "snappi" and "prefold" even mean.

AnnaNova 04-22-2009 08:07 PM

when you find yourself flipping through 'good housekeeping' in the store looking for quick family friendly recipes instead of 'cosmopolitan'

Smokering 04-22-2009 08:13 PM

When your baby is dressed immaculately in hand-sewn matching clothes, but you routinely wear the three-years-old top that's breastfeeding-friendly and has rusk smeared on the sleeves.

When your mother saves jam lids for you, because the baby likes to chew on them.

MamaJenese 04-22-2009 08:21 PM

When the most dancing you have done in ages is in front of the potty, and invovles a song about learning to poop there. When you look at eveything you put down in the house and think, wll someone try to put this in thier ear, mouth, nose, etc!

Theoretica 04-22-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyEvrAfter View Post
When you can't find your lipstick because your purse if full of crayons, toy cars, snotty tissues, the lovey, a juice box, etc....
Umm....when you don't even HAVE lipstick!!!

pixiekisses 04-22-2009 08:57 PM

When you grab your (very grown, older than you) friends arm while attempting to cross the street and point out the car coming.

And later that same night push his drink longer in on the table, away from the edge.

And when you go to the bathroom a little later (same night) you announce that you "just have to go pee, be right back hon".

And you don't realize until reading this thread that that might have been weird to your friend and that you really haven't spent time out w/o kids in so many years.

OkiMom 04-22-2009 09:06 PM

These are great.. I needed a chuckle.

When you say "its ok, mommy will get it" and realize that you weren't talking to your child or a child at all
When your bookcase that use to be full with classics is now full with Dr. Suess
When an intellectual conversation comes down to how fall the baby has crawled across the floor that day.

Breeder 04-22-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post
When your bookcase that use to be full with classics is now full with Dr. Suess
I consider Dr. Suess to be a classic.

My additions:

*when you find yourself offering a "boo-boo kiss" to your husband who has stubbed his toe.

ChocolateNummies 04-22-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie View Post
When you'll sleep in baby vomit rather than change the sheet, just to grab an extra five minutes of sleep.
Or urine.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
You exclaim "A bike!" every time you see one because DS is so infatuated with them, even when you are by yourself.
We point out big trucks and heavy machinery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Griswold View Post
...when you have caught vomit in your hands without flinching.
I have done this soooo many times.

Now mine:
When dressing up to go out involves wearing a matching macaroni necklace and bracelet with homemade glitter glue/paper jewels strung on it becuz it was a special gift from your dc and seeing it on you makes his/her eyes light up.

Jojo F. 04-22-2009 11:52 PM

These are great!!

When you get puked on and you don't even consider changing, just rub it in!!

When YOU smell like baby puke because it's still in your hair.

When you are bouncing/rocking your whole body when you aren't wearing your baby.

AFWife 04-23-2009 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateNummies View Post
Or urine.:
This made me realize there's a huge urine spot on the side he sleeps on...and it's been there for DAYS (I had forgotten)

SkyMomma 04-23-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
When you are bouncing/rocking your whole body when you aren't wearing your baby.
My DH found himself doing this last week at work!

Here's mine:

When you find yourself spelling out words to your DP, no kids in sight.

Kim Allen 04-23-2009 01:08 AM

Haha My Dh ask for booboo kisses sometimes
Ah I can totally relate to the whole sleeping in the pee. Altough we usually throw a towel over it until morning.
boogers dont fase me now.
While driving DS sees "COOOOWWSS" and you run off the road looking for the cow.

filiadeluna 04-23-2009 01:14 AM

  • When you make up songs to sing during diaper changes, i.e. "Isobel pooped and Mommy changed the diaper.......Isobel pooped and Mommy changed the diaper!!!"
  • When you can't plan a time to sleep, and three hours in a row sound refreshing.
  • When you finally have "free time", you have to choose sleep vs. eating, vs. chores, vs. spending time with your s.o.
  • When you spend all day on MDC b/c you are nursing anyway, so you might as well be NAKing.
  • When leaving the house to go anywhere is a major ordeal, and you long for the days when you could leave on a whim & stay out as long as you wanted.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.