baby/kid gadgetry and MDC mamas? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 149 Old 05-01-2009, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post
mmmm....I tend to find the baby strapped into those bucket carseats all day to be pretty awful. We seriously know some people who's baby's never leave the bucket seat for hours and hours at a time. They just get hauled around like so much luggage. :
And honestly, I gave up on that quick with my first. I had bruises on my legs from getting hit by the thing, and my arms were sore.

Slings are so much better for all involved. :

I think a lot of the "gadgets" can have their uses for particular families in particular situations. But as someone else mentioned, they are over used and over priced and just generally *too much*.
Unless your kid hates slings. Both of mine do. I have spent a small fortune trying to find the perfect baby wearing device, and all I get is a baby that screams. Stick her in her bucket seat and she will coo, smile and laugh happily throughout our shopping trip.

I have a baby bathtub, but I don't use it. A bassinet that I don't use. A mobile that I don't use. And a bouncy seat that I don't use. I did use all of these items with dd1, but I don't need them with dd2. I do however need my swing and exersaucer.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#62 of 149 Old 05-01-2009, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the only truely useless and absurd thing I can think of was this doll thing where you shoved a bottle up its butt and the nipple popped out its mouth to look like a tounge then your baby would suck on it.. . the animals tounge. . . . it was a glorified bott;le propper. so much wrong with that . . . so many things . . . .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#63 of 149 Old 05-01-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
the only truely useless and absurd thing I can think of was this doll thing where you shoved a bottle up its butt and the nipple popped out its mouth to look like a tounge then your baby would suck on it.. . the animals tounge. . . . it was a glorified bott;le propper. so much wrong with that . . . so many things . . . .
Ok, that is... Mildly disturbing, to put it mildly...

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#64 of 149 Old 05-01-2009, 06:23 PM

oh my! i have got some lols out of this thread. as you can see im typing one handed, because ds doesnt want to play with any of the toys or the excersaucer his grandparents purchased fo/r him. /

i will unabashedly proclaim my love for the time precious time the swing bought me. i was able to actually make dinner and take showers mostly without interruption. however he only liked it for oh, 6 weeks or so? :

the most recent baby gadget i saw that I thought was silly (before reading this thread) was the walking wings http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Wings-.../dp/B000E9TDRS.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#65 of 149 Old 05-01-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
\the most recent baby gadget i saw that I thought was silly (before reading this thread) was the walking wings http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Wings-.../dp/B000E9TDRS.

However, I could see where that could be useful for some kids. None of mine were this way, but I have know quite a few babies who hit the "assisted walking" stage and were not happy unless their poor parents were hunched over walking them around by the fingers. My back aches just thinking about it.
#66 of 149 Old 05-01-2009, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by betsyj View Post
I love my packnplay-that thing is so handy. I am a mama who also loves the plastic baby bath tub. I have a really bad back and that thing has been a lifesaver for me-fits right in my sink so DH is at my level and I do not have to bend over.

I also love my Baby Bjorn but have to be careful because of my back.

Here is my big bad gadgetry secret-I own a Bugaboo Frog stroller. My Mom who has lots of money bought it for me and you know what? I love love love it. It is so smooth and easy to use. She even got me the cup holder that clips on. I use it often when I am walking for exercise (we go four miles) and it is also great for my neices and my MIL. None of them can carry DH in the Bjorn or sling so the stroller it is.

DH doesn't live in it though. We do lots and lots where he is in the bjorn or sling or just rolling around on the grass.
DH? Your husband? : :

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#67 of 149 Old 05-01-2009, 10:57 PM

This just seems like a bad idea all around: Baby Bottle Sling.

This one I've just never understood: Hand-shaped Positioning Pillow.

Overall, though, I agree with pps that most accessories can be useful, but aren't really necessities.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#68 of 149 Old 05-01-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustmamie View Post
This just seems like a bad idea all around: Baby Bottle Sling.

This one I've just never understood: Hand-shaped Positioning Pillow.

Overall, though, I agree with pps that most accessories can be useful, but aren't really necessities.

I've seen the hand pillow used a lot with preemies. It helps them feel more secure.

#69 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
DH? Your husband?
oops. my ds
#70 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 12:22 AM

the hand pillow cracks me up. i want a few just for like decoration

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#71 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
the hand pillow cracks me up. i want a few just for like decoration
If I had something like that, I'd probably walk into whatever room they were at night, and jump half out of my skin.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#72 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 12:25 AM

oh! found it http://www.babybungalow.com/babohukiki.html

#73 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
...and there it is.

It looks even more uncomfortable than I remember it looking.
I've seen it used IRL and very nearly laughed right in the woman's face, I was so shocked.

It is truly weird and looked insanely uncomfortable.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#74 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Woah, that is freaky!

Me and my husband both think this thing is pretty absurd.

http://www.tummytub.co.uk/about.html

It's a bucket. Save yourself 45 bucks and drop by home depot.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#75 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
Woah, that is freaky!

Wow. That is... :

Dh said, "So they can fall over?!"

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#76 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
"Bottle Huggers are just the right fit for that baby who is ready for a bottle. "

The hand thing seems like a good idea for a preemie or a baby that cannot be held, but I think it looked kind of creepy! The lauguage on that website was interesting too, stressing how babies need touch and the arms of their parents...so unless your baby is in the NICU or the like...why not just hold them? I really can see how they would like that though and if my baby were in a situation where I could not hold them it would be nice to know there was something to comfort them that way.
#77 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
Woah, that is freaky!

Er... I had one of those. I actually really liked it. Unlike a bucket from home depot, there were no sharp edges or handles or anything, and it was exactly the right size for pre-standing baby. And it was easy to fill and carry to our fireplace, the only place we could bathe DD where she wouldn't be cold and crying. We have no central heating, our bathroom is freezing (which is a more frequent occurrence in the UK than in Canada, I think, hence the origins of the tummy tub.) It was also really easy to bathe a baby in, especially before she had head control - all you need to do is support the chin, and the rest of the baby bobs around nicely while you wash. WAY easier than in the tub. That having been said, once DD was standing up (around 8 mo I think) it wasn't so useful - she kept launching herself upwards and making a huge mess. But she wasn't so cold-sensitive then either, and it was summer, so the tummy tub served its purpose and moved on to another baby.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#78 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 05:54 AM

I am barely 5' and am adopting at the end of June. I have carried my friend's baby in her carrier a couple times, and thought my arms were going to break. I don't think the carrier strap seems like such a bad idea for someone who might need it. I'd rather look goofy than tear up my shoulders and backs.

BTW, can anyone recommend a lightweight carrier?
#79 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Unless your kid hates slings. Both of mine do. I have spent a small fortune trying to find the perfect baby wearing device, and all I get is a baby that screams. Stick her in her bucket seat and she will coo, smile and laugh happily throughout our shopping trip.
As I said, sometimes they may be useful for particular families.
#80 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post

Okay, now that is absurd, and I would dare say just wrong as well.
Never heard of these...unbelievable!

I do remember on hearing the breaking news that I would give birth prematurely (I actually went in the hospital with the idea the premature labour could be halted for xth time) getting into a panick. Of course, because it was too early for my baby, and because I would give birth for the very first time in my life. But I actually panicked, too, about us not being 'ready for the baby yet' meaning we didn't prepare everything at home as we'd planned, we didn't purchase everything we thought we would need when the baby would arrive, and I hadn't read my birthing books yet only the pregnancy ones. LOL.
I actually remember myself bursting out to my obgyn on breaking the news, 'but we don't have the baby bath yet!'. THAT must have sounded totally absurd and she must have thought I was a very strange mom worrying about baths, not baby, lol:-). But regarding the circumstances I am sure it could be normally, psychologically explained: a premature birth makes a parent feel unprepared for the birth, the coming of the baby, the health of the baby, the caring for the baby and everything evolving around that. Also, I was stuck at home in the last weeks of my pregnancy and had been unable myself to deal with the last 'baby stuff shopping' and have experienced this as frustrating, so have been checking catalogues for 'things we would need' to kill time.

One of the first presents we got was a baby bath from my two good friends who visited us closely after the birth .
When I outspoke my worry about a babybath at the oncoming birth, I actually had had in mind one of these bath furtnitures with changing pad/drawers and everything lol but later realised that that was not an absolute must and we easily did without :-).

Me:,loving HB,two active sons of 3 & 5,1 cat, nature lover,,extbf,occ,SAHM, multicultural/lingual family,+/-cl, :become a better parent/person by not expecting to be the perfect parent/person
#81 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix23 View Post
I've seen the hand pillow used a lot with preemies. It helps them feel more secure.
I almost posted about those pillows here, but I deleted it because I know they have been really helpful with preemies. They still freak me out though , but I can totally see how they could be comforting.

coolshine.gif

#82 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
I almost posted about those pillows here, but I deleted it because I know they have been really helpful with preemies. They still freak me out though , but I can totally see how they could be comforting.
They are strange looking. The NICU my dd was in didn't use them, they used beenie babies. I'm glad they didn't since Lilly still carries her beenie babies with her when we go out. It would be wierd for her to drag a stuffed hand around.

#83 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It makes me sad when I think of all the money I wasted on stuff we never used. Our crib was a thousand dollar laundry basket. Our swing just took up space. I could go on and on, but that stuff just preys on us when we are in hormonal overdrive.
#84 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasuremapper View Post
It makes me sad when I think of all the money I wasted on stuff we never used. Our crib was a thousand dollar laundry basket. Our swing just took up space. I could go on and on, but that stuff just preys on us when we are in hormonal overdrive.
Totally. Most stuff I didn't buy it til I could see an actual need for it - but some stuff I acquired free from friends and a lot of it (like the crib!) sat unused for a year or so until I realized it and put it up on craigslist for some other poor sucker. (I gave most of it away free.)

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#85 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeeskies View Post
I am barely 5' and am adopting at the end of June. I have carried my friend's baby in her carrier a couple times, and thought my arms were going to break. I don't think the carrier strap seems like such a bad idea for someone who might need it. I'd rather look goofy than tear up my shoulders and backs.
It's not about looking goofy - I can't imagine it would be comfortable. If you need to carry a baby long enough for something like that to be necessary, wouldn't it make more sense to just take the baby out and carry the baby in a sling made for the baby, not for the carseat? Carseats are heavy, especially with a baby in them. The bucket seats are convenient for getting a baby strapped in in the house and carrying to the car, or from the car to a shopping cart (if you have a baby happier in the seat than in arms, or asleep that you don't want to wake) but I don't think they were ever intended to be carried for long distances.
#86 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 11:55 AM

Love this thread. I'm a writer at the ecochildsplay blog and I did a series of articles on this very subject. "Baby essentials that AREN'T."

The items I covered were: cribs, bucket car seats, strollers, diapers, bathtubs, baby food, and baby "brain boosters".

I'm still thinking of doing a couple more... one on baby holding devices like high chairs, bouncy seats, bumbos, playpens, etc... and the other on hospitals. Not something you BUY, I know, but an "essential" that you can usually do without.

I do try to make the point in the articles that these are all items that serve a purpose, that have usefulness for some families in some situations... but they shouldn't be regarded as essentials by default! Many of them do also have negative/dangerous/detachment qualities to them and I'm clear to point them out. Some critics in comments didn't like the negativity, but I think it's important for parents to know BOTH sides, the pros and the cons of using a particular item, when deciding if it's right for their family.

With DD we used no crib, no bucket seat (just convertible right from birth), no stroller, no baby food, no bumbo, etc. We had a bathtub which we used about three times but it was SUCH a pain. It was easier to take her into the bath with me. Most babies are bathed more often than they should be anyway. And we had a bouncy chair, which did come in handy sometimes. I think having ONE baby-holder-device is a good idea, but I don't understand the need to have like 17 different ones.

We did use a high chair, but moved her out of it to a booster at the table pretty quickly, by about 16mo I think. And by about 18 or 19mo we just dispensed with the booster and she sits in the regular chair. I'll admit the high chair was something that I still believed was "essential", but in retrospect, really wasn't. She ate on our laps just as often. I think if we do have another, we won't bother with a high chair.

We have several slings. And in response to the pp who said there were times when it was faster to just pop baby into some sort of seat rather than put on a sling, put baby in, make a sandwich, take baby out, etc etc etc. When DD was young and at the age of needing to be "put somewhere" all the time (ie, not old enough yet to sit and play by herself), I just wore the sling ALL THE TIME. It takes just a moment to put her in it when I'm already wearing it. And more than that -- most of the time she was already in it anyway!

The most convenient thing about the sling IMO is just putting baby in it and wearing her pretty much all the time. It saves a lot of time compared to taking her in and out of other holding devices! And when I wasn't wearing her, I just still kept the sling on. That's also one of the great advantages of the sling versus the bucket or the stroller -- when the baby isn't in it, it's no hassle to keep it with you. How often do you see people at a park or in a store carrying an empty bucket or pushing an empty stroller while carrying their baby in arms or with a walking toddler? The sling has no inconvenience to bring along with you even when baby's not in it.

These days, now that she's older and doesn't ride in the sling as often, I don't just automatically wear it all day. But I'll still grab it when we go out for errands, just put it on and go. Then it's ready if we need it. Fast, easy, soooooooo much easier than a stroller.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#87 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 12:03 PM

The only gadgets that I see as just wrong are the bottle propers.

Anything else, I just see as kinda useless for me but someone else might like them. For example, I don't get the bumbo seat but my sister loves hers. She has one sling and is happy with it, but I feel like I need 2 slings, 2 wraps and a mei tai.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#88 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 12:26 PM

I think that some of what is and isn't useful depends on the layout of your house. When DS was a baby we went to stay with my parents and then with my FIL, and at our house, my parents' house and my FIL's house, we used different gadgets at each one.
#89 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 01:02 PM

This is a great thread! I agree that most baby products are a total waste of resources (money, materials, etc.). Furthermore, most of these products work to promote detachment instead of attachment.

Even as first time parents, DH and I were cognisant enough to avoid purchasing most of the baby "stuff." But, well-meaning family and friends were a different story! DH and I received a lot of different things anyway (an antique crib and high chair, pack n' play, tub, stroller(s!), play mat, baby seats, uncomfortable looking baby clothes, silly "eduacational" toys, and so on). As a result, we spent a couple of months donating, returning, or selling the above items.

We purchased the following:

*car seat
*convertible crib (purchased later for naps and later in life)
*booster seat
*sling
*glass bottles
*diapers

In retrospect, we could have easily done w/o a crib (:...some wasted $). Of course, I would have loved to have done w/o the bottles, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post
Quantity, more than anything, comes to mind when I think of absurdity. I think it is sad that we (general we) have taken "natural" products and gone to the extreme. For me, it started with cloth diapers. Ah, such a sweet, natural, "good for everyone" product. I quickly got suckered into the whole search for the perfect diaper, and acquired far too many. That was absurd. I finally realized it, but then, strike #2 . . I moved onto babycarriers. Again, I bought too many.

After baby #2, I learned my lesson. When it came down to it, I realized that having just enough of simple prefolds, nylon covers, a few wraps and a mei tai . . .(and even then, I could have less carriers) made my life easier.

I see it happening with toys as well. BEAUTIFUL handmade toys, open-ended . ..but people fill (and I mean FILL) their homes with them. Misses the point, IMO. Thankfully, I'd already learned my lesson about excess and have not gone crazy with that!
You have made a really good point. I always seem to be window shopping for more cute dipe covers and slings...LOL! Luckily, I have managed to refrain from buying more than we need (36 regular prefolds and 24 infant prefolds w/ some covers; 1 pouch sling).

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#90 of 149 Old 05-02-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeeskies View Post
The thing is...I don't like the whole "never hold your actual baby" thing, but that's not my objection. I've carried a baby in a bucket many times, and it is hard on the arms - no doubt about it. I just don't think the strap looks any more comfortable or less difficult. Buckets aren't really a great shape to have bouncing into your body all the time, yk? It looks really awkward, and really hard on the...shoulders and back.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page