Poll: Hand Sanitizer (spinoff) - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you 'Sanitize' Your Hands?
Hands, face, tummy, feet.. whatever we can get it on! 7 2.58%
never :ning away:: 93 34.32%
only on occasion- sometimes we need it 152 56.09%
the obligatory 'other' 19 7.01%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2009, 02:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
ETA: I recently learned that the flu virus thrives in alcohol. So I don't use hand sanitizers to ward off the flu, since it won't work.
It seems to be working for us...

DD and I are extremely sick. My older kids and DH are fine. This is the first time two of us have had the flu and the others did not get it... it's also happens to be the first time I've used hand sanitizer and lysol.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 03:04 AM

i voted only on occaision but thats just for the kids....mainly if we run into something gross with no soap and water handy but i use it alot at work.... i work in a pharmacy and sanitize anytime i deal with somebody who's getting antibiotics and/or is super coughy and sneezy especially if they're getting tamiflu or similar
Old 05-05-2009, 03:24 AM

only when absolutely necessary...no soap and water, or I'm somewhere where the smell of the soap gives me a headache. I have a couple of sanitizers that don't make me gag that I carry for emergencies.

for intuitive readings click here :
Old 05-05-2009, 03:47 AM

I carry some with me when we go to an interactive zoo (where the children get to pet/feed all the animals). There are a lot of hand washing stations there, but in a couple places there are none and I'd rather use a tiny squirt of the nasty hand sanitizer before my kids put their hands in their mouths.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All the time. I have a weakened immune system (no spleen) so hand sanitizer has become my friend. I've been known to use it several times in one minute...using it right after touching a menu at a restaurant and a few minutes later when I have to touch the ketchup bottle.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
Old 05-05-2009, 08:36 AM

we use it and I dont "live in fear" ... DD gets asthma when she is sick and so we wash up regularly. With soap and water when available and with this when its not. ANd most of the soap in public places is antibacterial so if you are opposed to that you should carry your own soap.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_veggie View Post
And the germs that grow in soap dispensers was a gross topic as well, lol.
And this would be *WHY* most liquid soaps are antibacterial. Germs love water. Liquid = water.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
Old 05-05-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
What the sanitizers DO do is help the strongest, nastiest bacteria and viruses proliferate.

Yes, the sanitizers kill off MOST bacteria, but not all - and the bacteria they leave behind is usually the strongest, nastiest stuff (the bacteria that are able to withstand the alcohol). With no competition, the left behind bacteria has access to all the little bacteria resources, almost without limits, and is able to thrive and proliferate, where once they would have been kept in check by all the competition. This is ecology 101.
I really don't think this is true in the case of alcohol-based sanitizers. These sanitizers physically destroy germs. Your argument is like saying that if enough people let themselves get hit and killed by cars, we would develop immunity to being hit by cars.

"Some people wonder if overuse of alcohol sanitizers could be a problem similar to the overuse of antibiotics, which is known to promote bacterial resistance. The good news is that alcohol sanitizers don’t cause resistance because they work differently"

from http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/z...read-of-germs/

"No mechanism for resistance to alcohol has been described in bacteria”"

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_rub

Hundreds of such references on the web.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 05-05-2009, 11:21 AM

I use alcohol and alcohol based gels frequently (Ethanol and Isopropyl). I work in a microbiology lab that deals with pathogens. Each time I leave the lab, I wash my hands for 2 minutes with hot soapy water, use sterile technique to shut off water valves and open ANY lab doors and THEN use the alcohol. The great part about the alcohol and gels is that it gets in the nooks and crannies that regular hand-washing (even if done correctly, most do not) does not touch. For example; under the nails, in the cuticles, under the rings, etc.

I also keep a bottle in my car and wipe down my steering wheel and for use on my hands after grocery shopping (as you often don't wash your hands until you get home, much too late). I don't use it really at all around the house unless there is a tummy bug going around. I am a firm believer in letting my kids be exposed to germs (the normal every day variety...not known sources for pathogens..like raw meats, etc)

If you want something more natural, look for ethanol (ethyl alcohol) based. Ethanol is the same alcohol that many partake of in various forms orally and is made from grain. There have been a few studies looking at skin absorption rates and found them to be undetectable.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I chose other. We use it if there isn't soap, if dd is refusing soap, or if dd's hands are really dry. Otherwise we use soap. From what I have seen an heard on NPR, from her doctor, and from the labels of soap and hand-sanitizer, it kills as many germs as soap and is safe to use especially when you are using it as a substitute for soap rather than in addition to soap.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:01 PM

We usually use it after petting zoos if there isn't a place to wash up. That's about it.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:07 PM

I have never bought any and I'm not ashamed or running away.

I have used it myself in hospitals when visiting people though where there are dispensers on walls next to every set of doors you pass through.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
I have used it myself in hospitals when visiting people though where there are dispensers on walls next to every set of doors you pass through.
Yeah - I definitely use it in hospitals. I figure they're full of people with immune problems (whether chronic or temporary) or who are just doing so much work healing from whatever they have (be it an illness or an injury) that they really don't need the extra burden of my cold or whatever.

I mostly don't use them, because I don't really care if I get sick, or if my family passes a cold around or whatever.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 05-05-2009, 05:43 PM

uh, no.

i think its gross too.

oh and the docs office uses tons of it and all THREE of my kids and i got really sick(as in it hurts and feels horrible to get up and you can barely breathe) after the nb appt and checkups for the boys.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:49 PM

I keep a small bottle in the car and in the my backpack when traveling by plane. I use it after we visit the grocery store when the kids want to eat a snack from the Kids Club. Or when traveling, especially by plane, before eating.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 05-05-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
I really don't think this is true in the case of alcohol-based sanitizers. These sanitizers physically destroy germs. Your argument is like saying that if enough people let themselves get hit and killed by cars, we would develop immunity to being hit by cars.

"Some people wonder if overuse of alcohol sanitizers could be a problem similar to the overuse of antibiotics, which is known to promote bacterial resistance. The good news is that alcohol sanitizers don’t cause resistance because they work differently"

from http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/z...read-of-germs/

"No mechanism for resistance to alcohol has been described in bacteria”"

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_rub

Hundreds of such references on the web.

My post wasn't about bacteria developing immunity or resistance to alcohol. It was that hand sanitizers don't kill all bacteria, and the bacteria that are left behind will thrive in the absence of competition. Immunity and/or resistance are irrelevant to my argument.

The fact is, nearly every surface on earth is covered in bacteria (there are few things that are naturally sterile) including humans (we are all crawling in bacteria, mites, etc) and it is not really possibly or even desirable to get rid of them all.

homebirth.jpgdd 10/09
Old 05-05-2009, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I keep some in the car and use it when we don't have access to a sink (especially after changing a diaper). The kind I have is apple-scented. It smells nice. Normally we just wash our hands though. I've kept the same bottle of hand sanitizer in the car for over a year.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
Old 05-05-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilguysmommy View Post
oh and the docs office uses tons of it and all THREE of my kids and i got really sick(as in it hurts and feels horrible to get up and you can barely breathe) after the nb appt and checkups for the boys.
My doctor prefers not seeing hand-shaped welts on me, so he washes his hands the old-fashioned way as soon as he steps in the exam room, as do his nurses. He also prefers to not trigger migraines, nor asthma attacks.

Ask your healthcare providers to skip the sanitizer when dealing with your family. Do the exam rooms have sinks? Most do.

When I have a hospital stay, the nurses tape sheets of paper or boxes over the sanitizer dispensers with DO NOT USE written all over them. Then they do the same with the boxes of latex gloves (or remove them and replace with nitrile).

We pay them, after all. There's a reasonable expectation that they won't cause us more harm when they can prevent the whole issue. We may not be able to do anything about the general populace using that crap and contaminating grocery cart handles, door handles, or credit card machines, but we *can* ask our doctors to not use the crap.

I might have to stop going to WFM because they've put out lavender-scented sanitizer pumps in every checkout aisle--free for use. It's nasty and made me sick today.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:13 PM

I have some in the car, and in my son's backpack. Normally, none of us use it. However, if I need to check his blood sugar, or give him a shot, and I have no way to wash up, then hand sanitizer it is.

Jen

User Tag List