For those who chose unusual children's names - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

#91 of 109 Old 05-08-2009, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DD's name is Vivian, which is pretty unusual -- I've never run into anyone in the community with this name except the very elderly. But it has not been a problem so far. She's only 3, but usually people comment very positively on her name. I felt like we were definitely in a good place with an unusual name when my mother, a teacher, reported that the teachers loved it.... you know teachers see a lot of names go through! Since it's old-fashioned rather than just funky, people almost always spell it correctly.

My DH's name is common-sounding but spelled oddly. He hated his name as a kid but is now very proud of it.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 109 Old 05-12-2009, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my youngest is named Albert. not unusual to say the least, but I got a TON of "well that's an old name on a young baby" when he was born and we announced the name. I don't really care, it's not a unqeek name and we love it.

DS1 04/2005; DS2 08/2008
#93 of 109 Old 05-12-2009, 04:31 AM

DS has a pretty unique name, but it is easily shortened to a nice simply nick name that he goes by (Timmy.) Since no one would ever guess his full name from his nickname, it is a nice way to keep his identity somewhat more private when we give it out.

My college BF went by his middle name, and it was a pain. It was alway just wierd how people who got his name off forms would call him by his first name which never used in a fakely familiar manner.

My name is Jennifer, I was born in the very very early '70s. Since my parent didn't have access to birth records, and didn't tend to follow pop culture, the thought Jennifer was an extremely unusual name (they didn't know a single adult named Jennifer .) So I suffered from playground whiplash. I was not only not the only Jennifer in my class at school (there were 5,) I was not even the only Jennifer C. So we were Jennifer C1 and Jennifer C2. The slot for Jennifer on the keychain rack was always empty.

I read an article about how naming trends happen, and it has happened over and over that hoards of parents suddenly all latch on to the same "unique" name. Do not assume a name is uncommon without checking for trends. The Social security administration has a website that helps track name trends. The names that are most popular today were unheard of 20 years ago. Like Madison as a girls name, in the movie "Splash" it was actually a joke that she decided to call herself Madison after see the street name.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#94 of 109 Old 05-12-2009, 07:02 AM

My own name has an unusual spelling, and while I love it, it is a pain. Having to spell it all the time is a little annoying, but it is part of my routine now whenever I'm giving out my details! If I had less patience than I do, I would hate it by now.

That said ... I do really love it. And it's nice sometimes, to have a name that's a bit unusual, that's not the normal spelling. (No disrespect to the normal spelling, of course!)
#95 of 109 Old 05-12-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alathia View Post
my youngest is named Albert. not unusual to say the least, but I got a TON of "well that's an old name on a young baby" when he was born and we announced the name. I don't really care, it's not a unqeek name and we love it.
i know an albert! his parents always get "oh... is that a family name?". i have to say it took a while but it totally grew on me & now i love it!
#96 of 109 Old 05-12-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookahgirl View Post
Not to mention they would ask if I was sisters with Whitney Huston, like that makes ANY sense LOL
Haha! My name is Martina and I remember being asked if I was related to Tina Turner!
#97 of 109 Old 05-13-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
My name is Jennifer, I was born in the very very early '70s. Since my parent didn't have access to birth records, and didn't tend to follow pop culture, the thought Jennifer was an extremely unusual name (they didn't know a single adult named Jennifer .) So I suffered from playground whiplash. I was not only not the only Jennifer in my class at school (there were 5,) I was not even the only Jennifer C. So we were Jennifer C1 and Jennifer C2. The slot for Jennifer on the keychain rack was always empty.
Maybe this is why I like uncommon names. My name is Jessica and there were always at least 2 Jessica's in my class, and I wasn't the only Jessica C. I became Jessica C1 in the 4th grade and it followed me.

Wife tosuperhero.gif , Mama to The Princess (2/03-3/07) and Little Lady (3/09), Expecting #3 (10/11).  vbac.gif
#98 of 109 Old 05-13-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower of Bliss View Post
My name is Sage. Back in the 80s it was quite uncommon, though I see it much more with kids lately (though still a bit of a hippie name). I loved having an unusual name most of the time. Of course, there are always times you want to blend into the wallpaper and having an unusual name makes that harder, but I'd rather not blend into the wallpaper ALL the time. ).
My dd is Sage, when I chose her name, I had not heard of any other's named Sage. We now know/have met 5 or 6 Sage's between the ages of 3-7 (only one a boy) and a 18 year old named Sage at our church (universal Unitarian, very librel/open) And I agree, they fall into the area of "crunchy" families!
#99 of 109 Old 05-13-2009, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
My daughter is Shanna (rhymes with banana) Francesca. I think it is awesome. Shanna has not been in the top 1000 names in 12 years and it never got above the 400's. Francesca is pretty much always in the top 1000, but the highest it has gotten was 353 in the last 20 years. For the past few years it has been in the 400's.

My name is Krissy. I don't think of it as being unusual but everyone wants to put a 't' in there. I'm not Kristy! And for spelling I've gotten: Chrissy, Chrissi, Chrisi, Chrissee, Krissee, and Krisee. And of course add a 't' into all of those variations.

We want to use Orion Gabriel for a boy child. Orion has gotten much more popular in the last twenty years but that means it went from being in the 900's to being in the 500's. Gabriel, however, is always in the top 100. It's the most popular name we like. I love love love the name.

For another girl we've thought about Callidora which has never been in the top 1000 names. However we have friends who say that we shouldn't use it because of Dora the Explorer. We are tv free and our kids are unlikely to know much about Dora. We would probably shorten it to Calli when she is small anyway. (The friend who is pushing this the hardest has a kid who is obsessed with Dora. She watches hours and hours of Dora every day and she has Dora EVERYTHING. I think it's nuts.)

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#100 of 109 Old 05-13-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
DD was Mackenzie and DS is Brodie, so no unusual names here, but DS's middle name is Avalon, which has gotten us some second takes. All 3 of us (me, DH, DS) have names that people misspell more often than not.l
At this point, DD-to-be will either be "Avalon" or "Arden." Unusual, but not weird, and spelled just like they sound.
#101 of 109 Old 05-13-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberoxy View Post
My parents did not give me any middle name at all so I had no choice as to what name I went by.
It's funny you say this - my parents didn't give me and my brothers middle names specifically because they figured if we ended up not liking the names they gave us, we could add a middle name and go by that.
#102 of 109 Old 05-13-2009, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Speaking of constantly having to correct people...

My mother's name is Diana. This is not an unusual name, and you'd think after Princess Diana, it would be pretty easy to remember. But, there are still MULTIPLE people who constantly call her Diane even when she continually corrects them every time they say it. So you can't win for losing.
My name is Deanna and I spent my entire child hood correcting the Dianes and dianna or deana deane.. It wasn't a huge thing except I was REALLY shy and hated having to do it.
My DD is Cecilia about as traditional Catholic as one can get but depending on where we are gets diffrent results. Around here Heavy Catholic Hispanic area they all reconginize and can say cecilia and there are a handfull in her school (none in her class) before we moved people would act like they'd NEVER heard the name or ask if we named her after the "song"
My mothers name is Azeneth its bibical as well but she never met another with her name.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#103 of 109 Old 05-13-2009, 09:26 PM

My cousins are named Aspen and Yarrow. I've heard the odd other Yarrow, but never, ever an Aspen. Aspen would care less what ppl thought of her name - that's her personality. Yarrow ALWAYS has to spell it, and say, something like - 'Yarrow rhymes with marrow', and I think she gets a little annoyed by that sometimes, but it is HER name - we call her Yarr (rhymes with 'there') for short.

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
#104 of 109 Old 05-13-2009, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nak

ds is named sirius. like the star, the satellite radio, harry potters god father...take your pick.

90% of people say sigh-rus or cirrius

delashenequa people can say, jay'son is perfectly 'normal' but the name of a star... too hard.

doesn't matter what you name a kid, people will mess it up

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#105 of 109 Old 05-13-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
My daughter is Shanna (rhymes with banana)
Funny story;

When I was in college in NJ many of the students had heavy jersey accents. In one class I had there was this professor who had a classic harvard accent.

At the beginning of the semester, the professor was reading off thhe roll, and came to "Anna." The student pipes up "it's AAnnAA." The prof repeats back "ahnnah." The student responds "AAnnAA like bAAnAAna." So the prof repeats back "ahnnah like bahnahna."

Finally after a short debate on how to pronounce "banana," the student finally says "You can say banana however you like, but my name is AAnnAA."

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#106 of 109 Old 05-13-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
My daughter is only 20 months so who knows if she'll hate it or not. Her name is Quinn. Not so usual for a girl, but easy for people to pronounce and spell. She'll never find a mug with her name on it though.

Don't be so sure! My son has 2 girls in his pre-school class named Quinn!
#107 of 109 Old 05-16-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
Funny story;

When I was in college in NJ many of the students had heavy jersey accents. In one class I had there was this professor who had a classic harvard accent.

At the beginning of the semester, the professor was reading off thhe roll, and came to "Anna." The student pipes up "it's AAnnAA." The prof repeats back "ahnnah." The student responds "AAnnAA like bAAnAAna." So the prof repeats back "ahnnah like bahnahna."

Finally after a short debate on how to pronounce "banana," the student finally says "You can say banana however you like, but my name is AAnnAA."
eepster - i thought the same - which pronounciation of banana??
#108 of 109 Old 05-16-2009, 09:46 PM

My name was Gail Linn and it people usually thought it was Gail. Gai was pronounced Gay. In the 1950's gay did not mean homosexual, or at least my midwestern parents didn't know it. When I was in my 20's I changed it to Gail. My sister's name is Melodee.

I gave my 3 children common names.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#109 of 109 Old 05-22-2009, 11:32 PM

hanno- we do have a son named Atom!! we gave him a common middle name just in case he doesn't like it. I love it and I really like Ion too...maybe if we have another...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page