For those who chose unusual children's names - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How is it? Do they enjoy having uncommon names? Do they get made fun of?

We're considering a unique name and we'd planned on having a common first name, with a unique middle that they would go by (but have the first to fall back on).

But now we're just thinking it's easier to have the name they'll go by as their first name.

Opinions here? Firsthand advice? Thanks!

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 10:29 AM

Our kid has a somewhat unusual name, but she's only 3, the story is still unfolding. Most people think it's lovely, and it is mispronounced quite a bit but it's no big deal, you correct them and then they say it right.

I myself have an usual name. For full disclosure, my name was a pretty consistent joke in 5th grade (mispronounced to sound like various other things) but it wasn't the name itself that led to the teasing. My name could have been Jane and they would have teased me some other way. But anyway, I don't regret the name, I like it very much, and other than some mean 10 year old boys leveraging it for their purposes, it hasn't hurt me at all. Like with my DD, people mispronounce it all the time, but a gentle correction is all that is needed.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#3 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 AM

I have a unique and I think very pretty name however people still comment on it and I'm in my 30's. I agree that kids will find something to pick on one way or another. But growing up I hated it and would have done anything to be something simple.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#4 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 10:39 AM

I'm not going to be much help as DD is only 3 months. Her name is not common in the states, you hear it more in the UK.

For us the difficulty is regional. If you live in the NE you know who Big Pappi is and calling a little girl Poppy is ridiculous but, we get mixed reactions. People either love it or hate it.

If she ends up not liking it she can go by her middle name.

And as laohaire said, kids will make fun of ANY name. I was Hoanna Hairya*s for many years. My name wasn't anything wierd.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#5 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 10:40 AM

My dd has an uncommon name. She is 8, and not teased for her name at all. But, to be honest, her school is very diverse and many of the students have names that are uncommon in the US. Her name is very easy to spell and pronounce.

She is always upset that her name doesn't appear on the key chains at the check out, lol. But her daddy is an artist, so he makes her pendants and keychains from clay and paints her name on them

Our friends also tend to give their dc uncommon names, although dd did not always appreciate that her friends' names were uncommon. Funny story--when dd was 4ish, she told me (changing all names, but she named her friends) "I don't like having a different name. I wish I had a normal name, like Apple, or Pepper, or Ocean, or Song". I had to explain that those were not exactly "normal" names, and they didn't appear on the key chains either
#6 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 10:41 AM

My son has a very short (three letter) "real" name that is very very unusual in our part of the world. Sometimes its mispronounced one time, but since it's short and easy to say people tend to get it right after that, and then they remember it. Other kids tell my son his name is "cool" which makes him feel good. His middle name (Joseph) is popular and easy in case he ever wants to make the switch.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#7 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama View Post
Funny story--when dd was 4ish, she told me (changing all names, but she named her friends) "I don't like having a different name. I wish I had a normal name, like Apple, or Pepper, or Ocean, or Song". I had to explain that those were not exactly "normal" names, and they didn't appear on the key chains either

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#8 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 AM

DD's only 4, but we haven't run into any teasing or anything about her name. She did learn how to spell it for people by the time she was 2, though.
#9 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 10:48 AM

You guys need to share what some of these names are - I'm curious!

My six year old has a fairly common name - Zoë (although in my defence it was 'un'common when we named her that )

My sixteen month old's name is Rue, like the flower.

We get lots of 'Er - you mean Ruby?' or 'Like Kanga & Roo?' or 'What's her whole name?'

I just say 'Rue - like the flower'. So, it's a little different, but I love it. I honestly wish I'd named my older dd something a little wackier...

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#10 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post

We're considering a unique name and we'd planned on having a common first name, with a unique middle that they would go by !
This is kinda of what we did. My dd is named Allyson Justice . Here first name is an adaption of my grandmother's who passed away this year, and her middle name was cause we liked it Our theory was she could pick which named suited her, like if she wanted to a very formal CEO she could go by Allyson (or Ally) and if she wanted to be a dj she could go by Justice (or a super hero "Justice is my middle name")

What's funny now is that we go back and forth about what to call her. Some days she Allyson some days she's Justice some people call her AJ. We just haven't settled in to a permanent name. But she's only 4 months so we'll see what happens
#11 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 10:56 AM

I have one dc with a very unique name. Two with recognizable names but not popular names. And one with a super popular name. They all like their names but the two extremes can have some grass is greener scenarios. The unique name would like to see hers on a pencil and the popular name would love to be the only one in their class (never mind world) with that name. I do agree with pps that kids will tease no matter what your name is. Also beware the nicknames. Someitmes these beautiful names can have the worst nicknames!
#12 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceinwen View Post
You guys need to share what some of these names are - I'm curious!

My six year old has a fairly common name - Zoë (although in my defence it was 'un'common when we named her that )

My sixteen month old's name is Rue, like the flower.

We get lots of 'Er - you mean Ruby?' or 'Like Kanga & Roo?' or 'What's her whole name?'

I just say 'Rue - like the flower'. So, it's a little different, but I love it. I honestly wish I'd named my older dd something a little wackier...
I love RUE! It's actually on our girl list to use for our next child. I hardly ever hear that name but I just love it.

DS's name is Ivo (pronounced Ee-vo) by the way.

My Etsy Shop
#13 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 11:10 AM

My kids names are Tirza, Asha & Nadia. Tirza is the most unique for this area, but all of them are not common here at all.

There is such a wide variety of names in our school that the kids are not teased at all.

I work in the school at noon & the kids try to tease me about our last name, it rhymes with turtle. I don't mind it, but they all know if they want something they have to use my real last name.lol That is the most teasing over a name I've ever seen.

We have 240 kids in our school K-6. There are 3 Dillons & 2 Kaidens in my dd's Grade 1 class, 3 Aidans, 2 Kaidens, 2 Connors in kindergarten. 2 Taylors, 2 Mackenzies in Grade 2(plus another in grade 1 and in grade 4), 2 Masons, 2 Austins, 2 Chases in Grade 6, 2 Tori's in grade 5

Working in the school I'd never name my kid(s) the common names. Kids with names the same as other kids(or even closely resembling) blend in together. The kids who have different names are easier to remember & stand out more.

Also working in the school I'd never name my kid(s) the common names.
#14 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

These are very helpful comments.

I should have added my personal experience...my name was Rachel growing up and it was so common that it annoyed me. Someone would shout "Rachel" and I would turn to see that they were talking to someone else. Arg. So in college I changed my name.

I realize there's an in-between, but we just like more nature inspired or unique names. We've considered Clementine, which I see has become pretty popular now, as well as Cayenne (Kaya for short), Lyric, and Cedar. Lyric is my favorite and that's probably what she'll go by. And we'll call her Lyre, Lyra, etc, which aren't bad nicknames.

#15 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 11:36 AM

My dd is only 2 months old, so I don't know that I have much insight on this yet, but we named her Magnolia. People always ask us to repeat her name as if they didn't hear us correctly the first time, and then ask if we call her that. Like I would name her something and then not call her by her name?

My sister's name is Alynn (pronounced like the male version - Allen). She's 20 now and has always enjoyed having an unusual name, although she does get frustrated with having to spell her name for people so that they understand what she is saying. She has never complained of being teased for it, though.

Wife tosuperhero.gif , Mama to The Princess (2/03-3/07) and Little Lady (3/09), Expecting #3 (10/11).  vbac.gif
#16 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Lyric is my favorite

Lyric is a beautiful name!
#17 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 AM

Unusual names are fine, but depending what they are, yes they will probably get made fun of to an extent, but really, kids will find a way to make fun regardless. However, I think if you are going to call your child a name, it really should be their first name, it is really confusing otherwise. If they decide to go to their middle name in the future, they can and I know two guys who do that because for different reasons they don't like their first names (not usual names, one was named for his became-a-dead-beat Dad and refused to go by his name and I don't know the story of the other).

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#18 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 11:56 AM

We're planning on Echo Narcissa for a girl after the myth and Edward William Lawrence for a boy after DP's father and grandfather (Edward) and my two grandfathers. I suppose Echo is the only really "unique" name, but Edward isn't really in style either, and I hate Ed and Eddie. So it'll be Edward for me
#19 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprons_and_acorns View Post
I love RUE! It's actually on our girl list to use for our next child. I hardly ever hear that name but I just love it.

DS's name is Ivo (pronounced Ee-vo) by the way.
Thank you! And Ivo is a seriously awesome name - absolutely envious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymoose View Post
We're planning on Echo Narcissa for a girl after the myth and Edward William Lawrence for a boy after DP's father and grandfather (Edward) and my two grandfathers. I suppose Echo is the only really "unique" name, but Edward isn't really in style either, and I hate Ed and Eddie. So it'll be Edward for me
Ahhhh! I Echo! That's adorable.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#20 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 12:06 PM

Our kids have unusual names (for America). The only "issue" has been for me, having to spell them out for doctor's appts etc, and occasionally having to repeat them 6 times before someone "gets" it. Nobody has ever made fun of them, adults or children.
#21 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 PM

My kids have uncommon first names and traditional middle names. They haven't been teased viciously about their names. Of course Aslan and Anakin haven't started school yet and those are the most commented on now. Vada, my oldest, and I have discussed it. She said she's so glad I gave her an uncommon name because she would hate to have to go by her name and initial like lots of kids in her classes. They do call her Darth Vada and the like but it's not mean-spirited and it doesn't bother her at all.
#22 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg013 View Post
My kids have uncommon first names and traditional middle names. They haven't been teased viciously about their names. Of course Aslan and Anakin haven't started school yet and those are the most commented on now. Vada, my oldest, and I have discussed it. She said she's so glad I gave her an uncommon name because she would hate to have to go by her name and initial like lots of kids in her classes. They do call her Darth Vada and the like but it's not mean-spirited and it doesn't bother her at all.
I was just thinking of the name Vada yesterday...I only know it because of "My Girl".

Mean-spirited or just fun-spirited is so different and I know what you mean. My Savannah gets called "Savannah Banana" but she doesn't seem to mind.

#23 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 03:40 PM

My DD has a pretty normal but not super popular name - Morgan. I didn't however forsee her being called Megan all the time, which does happen. I think no matter what something comes up with a name. Mom of Rue, I've never heard of that flower, what is it? My 1st thought would probably also be kanga and roo.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#24 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 03:46 PM
mlh

I think unusual or unique names are the norm these days. I named my first dd Magnolia and was very scared at first to do it. I am so glad that we did and now that she is 5 she only wants to be called Magnolia (some people like to call her Maggie). We went for the normal middle name, so she can switch if she wants.

Our second dd is Sienna and we kind of wish we would have gone with something more original. Her middle name is Rayne and I have a little regret that we didn't name her first name Rayne.

So, I would say go for it...

: Hip Mountain Mama Natural and unique products from a small family business:Blog
Mama to Magnolia and Sienna Raynebow
#25 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 04:03 PM

Unusual names are VERY common nowadays. We were hesitant to name our oldest daughter what we wanted, but after perusing the births in our college newsletters and the names of kids at our church's school.... yeah, she'll fit in just fine. I'm fairly sure that names like Chris and Bob and Jennifer will be the "unique" names in her classes....

We did give her a fairly normal middle name, and her name also makes some initials (DJ), so if she decides she wants to go by something differently later on, she can.

My youngest has a more normal name, but still a little different for our area.

Liz, mommy to DD1 (June 2006) and DD2 (August 2008) :
#26 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 04:17 PM

I did not choose my kid's names. Their birthmothers chose them.

Both are not the most common names, but not unheard of. In other words, in our church there are 160ish other kids on the roster, and none of the other kids have their names. We don't know another kid with ds' name, but we do know an adult with his same name. My SIL's neighbor's daughter shares dd's same first name...and amazingly/completely coincidently, she shares dd's middle name as well.

They don't generally strike people as terribly unusual names, and most folks know how to spell them and pronounce them.

The biggest problem we have is that some people tend to add two letters to my dd's name, which completely transforms it into a more common variation. This only happens on rare occassion, but it annoys me because I don't particularly like that variation of the name, and well, it isn't her name.

Same thing with ds. If you drop two letters from his name, it transforms into a more common variation. With him, people do this in a "nickname" fashion. I don't like that version of the name, so it does bug me just a little when folks decide to use that as a nickname for him.

I have an unusual first name. Actually, all my siblings do. My younger brother has a *very* unusual name. The name I was given at birth (hint: you might know it) was pretty darn unusual when I was born. I loved how unusual it was, so much so that when I met another kid with the same name around age 7 or 8, I took offense and decided to *change my name.* I changed my name to what my grandmother called me. That "new" name is still the name I use. It stuck after a while. My given name is now common enough that every now-and-then it gets on a keychain. I started hearing of babies being given that name around the time I was in high school. That's the thing about names. What is unusual now could be common 15 years from now.

My siblings all seem to have done fine with their unusual names. My oldest sister changed the spelling of her name to make it even more unusual during high school, but has since changed it back. She frequently goes by a unique nickname. My younger brother, whose name is quite rare, probably got teased the most about his name, but he has stuck with it over the years and I don't think he'd have it any other way.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#27 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 04:25 PM

Dd's name is Taryn, and we still love it. She sometimes gets frustrated that we can never find her name on personalized keychains (toothbrushes, mugs, etc.) but she likes her name.

It's interesting... every once in a while we will discover another adult Taryn while we're out shopping somewhere. So far we've met a Taryn working at the shoe store, at Old Navy, and at Sears. Apparently the name is well-suited to a career in retail!

I used to be a little frustrated when I'd introduce her:
"This is Taryn."
"Karen?"
"No, Taryn"
"Oh, Darren? .... but that's a boy's name!"

Now I just introduce her as "Taryn, with a T" and people get it. And I am glad that her first name is the name she goes by, as opposed to her having to tell people, "Not Katherine, just Kate please" or "Don't call me Elizabeth, it's just Liz", etc. That was annoying for me as a kid.
#28 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post
I used to be a little frustrated when I'd introduce her:
"This is Taryn."
"Karen?"
"No, Taryn"
"Oh, Darren? .... but that's a boy's name!"

Now I just introduce her as "Taryn, with a T" and people get it.
You know, I wasn't even thinking of the introductions aspect of all this when I posted.

Thanks for posting this.

I have mild hearing loss. I also work with families, and have been introduced to many a-child with an unusual name. I feel so awful because sometimes I am like the people in this example. If my ears don't catch it, my brain first goes to the more common name. Especially when kids introduce themselves, I've definitely had to do the back and forth a few times before getting it. I like your strategy now with saying "with a T." That would definitely save folks like me from unecessary struggles trying to hear the name properly .

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#29 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 04:43 PM

Some names are unique.

Some names are just stupid and cruel. I have met kids with the cruel stupid names, and they get tormeneted at school.

Plus the names that are a repeat of the last name is just abuse. I know a "David David".... Seriously? His parents couldn't come up with another name besides David?

Also, we have a principal named "Dudley Butt". Butt is unfornunate enough... but Dudley???? At least make give him a better first name.
#30 of 109 Old 05-06-2009, 04:44 PM

My children have pretty unusual names but I paired them with common middles names. My dd is Sapphire, she's old enough to be in school but has never gotten teased about it. My ods is Mckenzie and the biggest issue is that he's the only BOY Mckenzie. My yds is Journey, I get quite often either "jeremy?" or "after the band?" I don't know how they will like it when they are all grown. They have common middle names that they can fall back on incase they can't see being a lawyer with the name Journey

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page