Mother's Day traditions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-07-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have one? Like maybe, going out to brunch, having the fam over at your house or going someone's elses, go to church, go shopping, etc.,
#2 of 8 Old 05-07-2009, 05:12 PM

We don't, but I would be interested in reading what others may do.

It's a pretty low-key deal here at our house.

When the boys were little, dh used to make breakfast, they'd help and I 'd get breakfast in bed on Mother's Day. That was fun.

:

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#3 of 8 Old 05-07-2009, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My Mother's Day tradition is spending the day without my young children. Now that 3 of them are adult (and 2 of them are also mothers), they can spend the day with me. I tour historical homes with my sisters and my mother. We have done this for over 15 (I think; a very long time and before my son was born. The only year I didn't go). Before our city started having the Mother's Day home tours, dh would order me a pizza for lunch and take the girls for a daddy day trip while I stayed home alone. Then come home and make dinner and do all the evening chores that we usually would divide between us. He still makes dinner and we invite his mom to eat with us.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#4 of 8 Old 05-07-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybutterfly View Post
We don't, but I would be interested in reading what others may do.

It's a pretty low-key deal here at our house.

When the boys were little, dh used to make breakfast, they'd help and I 'd get breakfast in bed on Mother's Day. That was fun.

:
I love the breakfast in bed idea. H loves to cook, so maybe he'll surprise me this year with something like that.
#5 of 8 Old 05-07-2009, 06:52 PM

Since we're rather broke (every year) and I rarely have time for myself without the kids- unless you count a 15 min bus ride to the store to buy groceries and a 15 min rid home as "time for myself"- I always try to do something ALONE on *my* holidays (birthday, mother's day).

This year..hehe.. I'm going to head out to an adult-only store and buy a lil something for myself (don't want to write anything specific for fear of a naughty banned title )..

And I'll probably stop off for a beer on the way home

Oh, my 8 yr old is planning to make breakfast-in-bed for me too.. Which is always very, err, unique

(My mom is hiking for 3 weeks and my mil is going to the beach with her husband. We don't really do -extended- family things on mother's/father's day..)

mischievous.gif
#6 of 8 Old 05-05-2011, 07:36 PM

My husband will make a lame breakfast that will be brought to me bed. My son will pick flowers and bring me a homemade card and a piece of jewelry. He does the most amazing bead work! People have offered to pay for one of his bracelets.

My son and I will go to church, husband will do yard work/mow the lawn. Mid afternoon 2 of our friends and their families will come over for a BBQ. My husband will be grill master. I will have pre made the sides the day before, cleaned the outdoor furniture, set the tables, etc so everything is ready and go and (hopefully) the moms can sit and chat with a glass of wine.

We tried the amateur day brunch/dinner thing a while back and even the high end places have their b-teams working and set menus annoy me. Even our local Thai place is overrun.  We decided staying home and having our own party meant less money for better food, stronger drinks and free range kids. 

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#7 of 8 Old 05-06-2011, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My mom, sisters, and I go on a historical homes tour every Mother's Day put on by our local historical society.  We tour 4-5 historical homes and have home made lemonade and cookies at the last home.  This will be our 14th year.  I have always spent Mother's Day without kids.  Before we started the home tours, dh would take the kids out for the day and I had the house to myself on Mother's Day.  Then dh and I would have dinner with his mom.  This year we won't because she died last year the day before Mother's Day (on May 8th).

Ok, that will teach me to read the entire thread before posting.  I now see that I have already replied to this thread 2 years ago.  And wrote a much better post that this one.  So just ignore what I wrote this time.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#8 of 8 Old 05-06-2011, 10:19 AM

We normally go to brunch at a little teahouse, but this year my mom and I are keeping it simple : ) We are going to our favorite diner for eggs, and the bookstore/craft store after to walk around...my DH will take the kids fishing with my Dad/brother, and we will all meet later at my moms and order in food or just BBQ. I'm ALWAYS eager to have "me time" on Mothers Day :) I hope to be able to sleep in too! 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10

Tags
Motherhood , Mothering For The State The Paradox Of Fostering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page