I bought "Baby Wise" AND a James Dobson book.... - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2009, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterBug mom View Post
Well.. again, I wish to point out that the AAP has made very strong statements against cosleeping (and directly blame it for infant deaths). The AAP has also published a journal article in Pediatrics attacking the Sears alternate vaccine schedule. The AAP officially condones certain levels of CIO - just not Babywise.
thats the thing though they make statements against tons of things i do.. in fact by their standards i sort of suck as a parent. their thoughts on CIO and scheduled feedings are basically 'to an extent' so they condone it on some level. but babywise takes scheduling and CIO to such an extreme that it can lead to Failure to thrive ... i think people have a right to know that.

do they actually have good research about co sleeping contributing to infant deaths? b/c all of the research i have read says that co sleeping may help prevent infant death as long as you go about it safely. the article in the washington post that made me throw things called the dangerous kind of co sleeping 'chaotic co sleeping' i think it was the only actual fact in the whole article since the rest of it was about how horrible co sleeping is and how only poor people do it.. it was awful but thats besides the point. man 3 months ago and i'm still mad about that. the last sentence basically contradicted the rest of the article it was weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2009, 01:02 AM

OK, the aap is kinda nuts, so that wouldn't deter me. However I think OP is totally awsome for doing what she did. FYI paper makes great weed block in a flower garden. As a child of radical Dobson-ites, I can appreciate what this mama did. I know women who pick up parenting books at thrift stores, stockpile them, and give them to new parents-to-be.

Also, I now want a book bookcase!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Old 05-13-2009, 01:12 AM

it never occurred to me to buy a book telling me how to parent my child.. is that weird? i had pregnancy and birth books but no parenting books. now i probably wouldnt have done CIO either way ... my family is very anti spanking and CIO but CIO never occurred to DP until someone actually told him to do it. this makes me think that if left to our own devices people would respond to their childrens cries b/c not responding to them seems sort of stupid. why wouldnt you respond? yk?

its when people hear all this crap about training and independence that things get messy. DP's friend told him about it and how her sister never let her kids cry and always held them and they are spoiled brats now. he absolutely hates hearing ds cry and ds is the sweetest kid in the world so mostly he just ignores her.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:31 AM

OP, I think that's kinda neat that you did that!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
Old 05-16-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel616 View Post
Dr. Sears has never caused failure to thrive.
I wouldn't know about that, but Dr. Sears recommends co-sleeping, which is often mentioned as contributing to SIDS.

I'm not saying I agree with that, as I co-slept myself. But it could be a reason why someone might want to buy up or hide his books to "protect" new mothers.

That's what I meant in my original statement.

I know from reading all the posts that most of you don't agree, and I don't mind.
I just think that buying books to prevent other people from reading them is wrong. Even if you are within your legal rights to do it.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:24 AM

At least one less person will read Babywise

femalesling.GIFMama to intact DS Dec 06 and intact DS May 10......Looking to declutter 2012 items in 2012! (27/2012)

Old 05-17-2009, 12:45 PM

"I haven't read the whole thread yet but I'm kind of on the "non-censorship"-"slippery slope" side of the fence. Reading this thread, and talk of burning books makes me nervous no matter how much I hate what is written inside."

I agree with this.

"At least one less person will read Babywise "

What if it was the one person who was so disgusted by Babywise, who had the resources to do something about getting a warning on the cover or taking the author to task in court, they did something about it.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:07 PM

I haven't read this whole thread, but I just thought I'd add this idea: I have a friend who carries post-it notes with her. When she finds a book like that, instead of hiding it or buying it to burn or whatever, she writes a note and sticks it inside. She recommends other options depending what the book is: the No-Cry Sleep Solution, Gentle Discipline, etc., for Baby Wise, The Thinking Woman's Guide to Birth for mainstream pregnancy/birth books, etc. That way someone can still buy the "bad" book if they want, but maybe they've been given another possible resource that they otherwise would never have known about.

Sometimes when I'm in a bookstore, if there are enough copies of a book I like, I'll stick one in front of Babywise or some other awful book. That way, Babywise is still there, where people can find it, they just have to move another alternative out of the way to find it. Again, maybe they didn't know there were other options out there and maybe someone will consider reading Sears instead.

I think it's more important that people be exposed to other ideas so that they can make informed decisions. If you don't know any better and your MIL and best friends and ped are all telling you that you NEED to follow Babywise, why wouldn't you? But if you read that AND some more gentle resources, you might be more likely to not blindly follow the Babywise advice. Sadly, I think a lot of people just don't know what else is out there.

User Tag List