I bought "Baby Wise" AND a James Dobson book.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-10-2009, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
.... so no one else would.

Actually, there were THREE copies of Baby Wise along with the Dobson book at the thrift store. I'm torn about what to do with them now, but I feel as though maybe I stopped 3 new moms from reading - and following - their "techniques".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Banned

I always hide those books in the book store whenever I see them lol

put a new cover on them "how to be a rotton deranged parent" or "how NOT to raise happy healthy children"
Old 05-10-2009, 09:11 PM

Burn em'.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
Old 05-10-2009, 09:13 PM

i'm really curious - what does james dobson have to say about babies/parenting?

Katie
Old 05-10-2009, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I bough Ezzo at Goodwill to keep anyone else from getting it. I kept it for a while thinking I would read it and critique it myself, but eventually decided to throw it away as I figured it was a waste of my time and couldn't stomach the few pages I flipped through.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:33 PM

Put them in the paper recycling bin!
Old 05-10-2009, 11:09 PM

I'm not a big book burner but...
Old 05-10-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiesk View Post
i'm really curious - what does james dobson have to say about babies/parenting?
He is quite harsh, and all in the name of God.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadebug View Post
Put them in the paper recycling bin!
Don't do put them in whole though otherwise someone might fish them out and read them.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanine123 View Post
Don't do put them in whole though otherwise someone might fish them out and read them.
Yeah, I would rip all of the pages off of the binding before recycling them, making sure to spread them out over a few weeks worth of recycling days so that nobody could mend them.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 05-10-2009, 11:17 PM

Get a puppy and paper train him with the pages
Old 05-10-2009, 11:23 PM

That is awesome that you bought those just to get rid of them! I'm going to have to start doing that...and hiding them in the bookstores; also a great idea. My friend in college had a baby and was completely sold on the babywise books...at the time, I didn't know enough to discourage her from using them, but it always broke my heart when she wouldn't feed her baby when he was crying b/c it wasn't time. Sorry. Hope that wasn't too tangential.

Anyway, good for you!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Old 05-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatchick View Post
...and hiding them in the bookstores; also a great idea.
Really, it isn't. It doesn't accomplish anything in the long run, and is quite juvenile.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:06 AM

You're awsome. Burn 'em

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hee-hee. I've done this too!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Old 05-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Glue Mommy View Post
I always hide those books in the book store whenever I see them lol

put a new cover on them "how to be a rotton deranged parent" or "how NOT to raise happy healthy children"
I know some who put a business card or bookmark in them with www.ezzo.info on them.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:12 AM

Ive done that before as well.. and burned them....
Old 05-11-2009, 12:13 AM

I know you mean well, but that is censorship. What if somebody decided to do that to Dr. Sear's books?
Old 05-11-2009, 12:16 AM

to you for saving some poor sweet baby from the torture held within those pages!!! Don't burn them! Do you have a paper shredder? Recycle! Then again I'm a bit of a :

Quoteriginally Posted by SamI'mNotSamantha : : : Bi/Crunchy/WOH/Single/Student Mama to my skinny-mini SuperMunchkin : (11/2004)! "I will not take 'but' for an answer." - Langston Hughes
Old 05-11-2009, 12:18 AM

Good for you! Those books make me so sad.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Old 05-11-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
I bough Ezzo at Goodwill to keep anyone else from getting it. I kept it for a while thinking I would read it and critique it myself, but eventually decided to throw it away as I figured it was a waste of my time and couldn't stomach the few pages I flipped through.
I was going to do that too. I was going to go through with a highlighter and highlight the bad info. My own copy that was a gift when my oldest was a baby mysteriously found its way into the garbage after about the 2nd chapter so I didn't have one to critique. I didn't bother though because I think my highlighter would have run out of ink.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 05-11-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBerry View Post
I know you mean well, but that is censorship. What if somebody decided to do that to Dr. Sear's books?

Yes, this.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 05-11-2009, 01:18 AM

I am a huge reader, a lover of books and the very idea of burning books horrifies me.

But when it comes to THOSE books, burn 'em. Torch 'em and don't look back. I've flipped through BabyWise and was horrified. Burn 'em or toss 'em in the trash, just don't let anyone else near them.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamI'mNot View Post
to you for saving some poor sweet baby from the torture held within those pages!!! Don't burn them! Do you have a paper shredder? Recycle! Then again I'm a bit of a :

I agree. Shred them and recycle the debris. Maybe it will end up as something better- like toilet paper.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:13 AM

It's only censorship if done by the authorities and effectively preventing people from buying/reading these books and possibly punishing them for owning/reading them into the bargain. Let's not get carried away!

Individuals are perfectly entitled to buy books and put them to whatever use they see fit (including burning or recycling them as TP!) without infringing on the right to free speech of the author or without infringing on the right of others to read the book. They might just need to look a bit harder to find it if they really want it.

I admit that much as I loathe these types of books I would not want them to be banned by the government. They should however come with strong warnings and a clear denouncement from the health authorities and other religious groups.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
Old 05-11-2009, 06:42 AM

Very "on the fence" here, as I agree with both of these statements:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity6232000 View Post
Burn em'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBerry View Post
Would like to add, it isn't called Farenheit 451 for nothing. I literally tried to burn "What to Expect When you are Expecting" and IT WOULD NOT BURN. I tried matches, lighters, a blow torch..... if the pages were separated a lot, a few could be burned at a time, but the chemical smell was awful. I gave up.

Maybe peeing on it would solve the issue? Then it is still available for reading, if anyone REALLY wanted to.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:47 AM

Torn up paper can go into compost. But the inks mean you might want to save it for non-food plants.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnAir View Post
I admit that much as I loathe these types of books I would not want them to be banned by the government. They should however come with strong warnings and a clear denouncement from the health authorities and other religious groups.
I just don't see how that is possible. It is an opinion and is totally subjective. As much as we might not like it, agree with it or believe it, there are many studies about sleep training that are totally opposed to each other and they all come from "experts." What if books on attachment parenting came with warnings from psychologists about how children may become rude, selfish brats, as per the recent msnbc article? I think the best activism against it is simply spreading the word and having a happy child.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radishes View Post
I just don't see how that is possible. It is an opinion and is totally subjective. As much as we might not like it, agree with it or believe it, there are many studies about sleep training that are totally opposed to each other and they all come from "experts."
Really? The studies I've heard about are ones like the Harvard study that shows increased cortisol levels in babies left to cry, studies that show cosleeping children have fewer anti-social tendencies and are more independent, and a study that I'm not finding at the moment where they finally tested whether responding or ignoring babies cries resulted in less crying which determined that babies cry *less* when their cries are answered.

On the sleep training side of things, there are a lot of "experts" spouting off theories, but no studies that I've seen.

There's also no evidence to support that babies "should" be able to go X hours without eating by age Y. Plenty of biological evidence, size of babies' stomachs, rate of digestion, that supports babies needing to eat frequently and throughout the night.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:24 AM

I just can't help thinking that somewhere out there right now someone is taking books about cosleeping or attatchment parenting off the shelves and burning/hiding/destroying them so that some one with a different opinion than them can't read them.

I know that there's alot of book out there with info I find offensive or downright dangerous, but I've always been of the mind that educating rather than restricting would be a much more effective tool to share my opinion.

I also understand that the word 'censorship" is define in reference to gov't.. but when someone is hiding/burning/destroying books because they don't want other people to read them...it may not be censorship by definition, but it certainly is in the spirit of censorship. And I strongly oppose it.

User Tag List