Do you let your child drink coca cola? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sprite is so much worse for the teeth than any other type of soda, according to my ped dentist. That said, I prefer that they don't have soda, but my kids (minus the baby) have all had sodas on plenty of occasions.

Here is a chart on caffeine as well:
http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=16748

When we are out, I prefer them to get milk or choc milk. I find that of the other things offered- lemonade, fruit punch, tea, etc, all have the same issues- way to much sugar content.

That said- those who don't allow soda, do you allow iced/sweet tea?
#92 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post

ETA: while I am concerned about high fructose corn syrup and excess sugar they aren't the worst offenders on the ingredient list in soda. I'm not just speaking about diet soda either. Staying away from diet isn't going to prevent you from downing junk that will screw up your body.

Links?

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#93 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 PM

I think it's rude to deny what other people are eating or drinking to the kids. If everybody else is drinking pop, the kids can have pop as well - if they want it. It's no better for us than it is for them.

However, I do my best to have them choose other things. I never offer pop. It's something that we don't have at home all the time. The kids have access to it at special occasions, in restaurants, when visiting family, etc. Fortunately, they think that chocolate milk and real juice are enough of a treat to choose those over pop a lot of the time.

The kids also know that pop is a treat, and is the in the category of food we call "does not help you grow." You can have junk in moderation, but you must know that you are eating something that is not particularly good for you and should only be eaten sometimes.

I am also concerned about the HFCS used in the US. We're originally from Canada where pop still has sugar in it, and we've been buying Mexican coke at Costco or "fancier" soda a lot of the time since it's also made with sugar and not HFCS.

King Corn is a good documentary for anybody interested in the topic of corn in the US food supply.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#94 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 12:48 PM

She has had a couple of sips, but she didn't like it. We don't drink sodas a lot, but when she gets older and if she wants one, I will be okay with her having it as an occasional treat.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#95 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Aimee* View Post
<snippity snip> He will never have aspartame as long as I can do anything about it That stuff is poison and has no place in anybody's body, let alone a developing one.

Amen, lady. Drives me to pure madness to think of how many people gulp it down all day...there just isn't enough awareness I think, it's *SO* bad! Ugh!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#96 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 12:50 PM

A no for us. We don't drink soda so it isn't sitting around in our house. It's never really been an issue for us at home or out and about-the only time it presents a problem is when we are visiting dh's parents. They buy the bottled pop in enormous quantities and every time, the cousins walk around with bottle after bottle of pop and 6 yo ds always asks if he can have some too. Then I have to be bad mommy and tell him no.
#97 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 12:57 PM

DS had his first taste of coke when he was 4. At a birthday, and diluted with water. We never have any type of soda in the house so no problem with that. DS likes coke or other soft drinks at parties and those are occasional enough that I don't mind. The odd thing though is that if we eat out, even if others present (kids included) order soft drinks, he will always ask for water. As if sodas were exclusively party fare to him..

read.gif WOH wife to heartbeat.gif, mother to myviolin.gif 8yo and one cat.gif who thinks he's a dog2.gif

#98 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post
Milk is just as bad as soda?? The nurturing liquid produced by another mammal to nourish their young is just as bad as the super sweetened, phosporic acid laden stuff that we are talking about here? I hardly think so. Cow's milk isn't ideal for us, but it can keep a person alive for a long while, which soda cannot.

You're talking about raw organic milk, not the milk that is given to most children. I think it is horribly bad for our digestive system, which is why we have such a huge amount of lactose intolerant/dairy allergic people in this country.

And I didn't say it was just as bad as soda, but I certainly don't put it in the category of healthy. I try to discourage juice as well, but I will always choose 100% juice over milk for my kids if I have a say in it.
#99 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 01:00 PM

Nope! But he's only 2.5. I think that's too young for soda.

DH drinks it, and DS says, "Oh, that's Daddy's!" when he sees it. DS has never even asked to try it.

However, I know the day will come when DS DOES want to try it, and that is fine. We'll allow a small amount if he really wants it, but I am not going to OFFER it... you know? But I have this same philosophy about most candy, junk foods, etc. I don't offer it at home but realize that at some point he will realize it exists and ask for it.
#100 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama View Post
It keeps my kids from puking on road trips
A little bit of ice cold coca cola has always been good at settling my stomach when I feel really nauseous, and we too have given the kids some 7-up or ginger ale if they have an upset stomach.
#101 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
Amen, lady. Drives me to pure madness to think of how many people gulp it down all day...there just isn't enough awareness I think, it's *SO* bad! Ugh!
My inlaws were just in town to see the boys and my MIL loves diet soda. She knows how I feel about this subject and about him drinking that stuff. Well, we went out to lunch and she poured sobe lean into his water. And when I dumped it out and refilled it with regular water everyone was so mad at me. But that stuff is just NOT normal.

We went to a family bbq and someone had decided to cover the strawberries in splenda and when I wouldn't let my kids have them everyone thought I was crazy....glad to know I'm not alone
#102 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
My inlaws were just in town to see the boys and my MIL loves diet soda. She knows how I feel about this subject and about him drinking that stuff. Well, we went out to lunch and she poured sobe lean into his water. And when I dumped it out and refilled it with regular water everyone was so mad at me. But that stuff is just NOT normal.

We went to a family bbq and someone had decided to cover the strawberries in splenda and when I wouldn't let my kids have them everyone thought I was crazy....glad to know I'm not alone

Most people in our circle of family and friends are very similar in tastes when it comes to natural/whole foods and so we don't have those problems a lot....I KNOW that if she is spending an afternoon with Nonnie, so that we can catch a movie or just take a nap together...that my babe is eating fresh organic foods and is being loved and recieving AP style, fun time. I am so thankful for this...I feel such a rage for some of you ladies who have to deal with inlaws pouring SOBE LEAN(?!) into your babies water, etc. It's just not right to step on your parenting like that, ugh!

But...that said...there are a few people in my life who "don't get why" things like aspartame are "such a big deal".

Look.....I love butter, I love nutella, I love (real, farm) bacon. I do not obsess over this or that in our diets....FOOD is not the enemy. We don't count calories or "watch carbs"...we just eat food. Good food. That's all.

If it's real, it's okay with me. Aspartame is not real. Like I said...food, is not the enemy. Genetically modified food, is the enemy. Aspartame, is the enemy. If it's not REAL...it's not food. Food is GOOOOOD!

So, yeah...I get you, mama!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#103 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 01:18 PM

My son is 1, but no no no he will not have soda. I've already decided that he will have "izze" (fruit juice mixed with seltzer water) instead of sodas. I'm sure as he gets older he will very very occasionally get one.
I'm very concerned about the high fructose. It's in EVERYTHING these days and I refuse to give him anything with it in it.
My neice (2) gets to drink cokes right from the can with dinner.
#104 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 01:19 PM

DH and I aren't soda/coke/pop drinkers so we rarely have the stuff at home. Occasionally I let DS indulge and have a bit, at a party or restaurant. I have occasionally bought 7UP or Sprite to help settle a tummy. DD hasn't had any yet and won't for awhile! Too young IMO. I think DS was about 5 before he had his first taste of coke.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#105 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:

THATS GROSS! BLAH! I wouldn't let my kids (or myself) go near cancer covered strawberries. Why would anyone do that? Strawberries are so good naturally. weird.
#106 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post

It kills me when waiters at restaurants ask what she'll have when taking a drink order. She always has a sippy of water in plain sight on the table already, so I just say she's all set. But seriously, people have expected me to order her soda since she was first sitting in a high chair, at what, maybe 8 months or so? Disgusting.

Who are the people? Do you mean the waitstaff have expected you to?
I used to waitress and I asked people what their kids wanted, too. I didn't expect them to say anything specific but they are customers (even if they're small) and who knows if their cup is empty or if they (their parents) want the kid to have some juice or water or ice or milk or something else? I don't think anyone expects people to order coke for a baby.

Monther of Riley (11), Andrew (4) and Victoria (7 months)
#107 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I have let dd have a non-caffinated soda a few times on very special occassions like Christmas. I also encourage her to have coca-cola when she throws up a lot because the doctor recommended it and it worked, she went from throwing up every ten minutes to not throwing up at all and I viewed that as a much better option than shoving a supository up her butt (something I am very sure she would not let me do willingly). I also used it once to try to boost her sugar quickly because she didn't have any in her urine and the doctor told me I needed to get something into her so her body would have energy to help her get better. She hadn't eaten for three days and was only sipping a little water. In these situations I did what the doctor said even though I didn't agree or like it because I was desperate and luckily the doctor turned out to be right.

I do worry about the things in soda, but I don't think it is horrible to give a child a soda on rare occassions.
#108 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 01:35 PM

Yes, we drink coke(I am from tn. I refuse to say soda or pop) on a daily basis. DS 1 loves Sprite so that is what he drinks. He also drinks a lot of water. DS 2 is only 4 weeks so of course he hasn't had any.
#109 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 01:39 PM

no sodas here and no HFCS here either.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#110 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 01:50 PM

both my kids have been able to drink soda on special occasions since they were 2 or 3...i figure there is no point in denying them stuff they are going to drink anyway as long as you teach them all things in moderation what is the problem? i notice alot of the posters saying they never drink soda themselves..god knows when thier kids grow up they will wanting to be doing worse stuff than soda in the real world what harm does coke or 7up do you....
#111 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cateerob View Post
i notice alot of the posters saying they never drink soda themselves..god knows when thier kids grow up they will wanting to be doing worse stuff than soda in the real world what harm does coke or 7up do you....
So we should just give up now?

I dont quite get this comment...

I dont drink coffee, soda, or juices that are not homemade. I drink herbal tea once in a while but 99% of the time it is just water. Same with my children. I dont see what this has to do with them growing up and doing worse things.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#112 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 01:57 PM

Soda was banned when I was growing up. I probably had a total amount of one can until I was in my teens lol.

But now my parents have grown lax and the younger siblings get soda at birthday parties.

I hate buying soda when eating out. I'd rather have water. DH and I don't drink soda/don't buy it when grocery shopping. Although I've been known to drink it at parties where it's available. I hate caffeine so I only drink orange or sprite.

Personally, I can't wait to let DD have a sip (maybe her birthday??) and watch her face lol But she won't be actually drinking any until she is older.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#113 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 01:59 PM

My oldest drinks soda but only because he is about as calm as calm can be. Nothing makes him hyper or gives him energy. It's just who he is, super laidback.

My youngest DD, however, completely opposite. I never give her soda. In fact, a few weeks ago we had a family get together and she shared a Coke with her little cousin and I only allowed it so I wouldn't look like a freak in front of everyone telling her no.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#114 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 02:03 PM

once in awhile. though we try to get soda with cane sugar rather than HFCS. we usually only have milk, water and herb tea in the house (it's rare that we have juice or soda around)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#115 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemommaof4 View Post
it keeps me from puking when I have morning sickness, when all else fails I grab a coke when I am pregnant and cant do anything else to stop from feeling sick :-)
That's the only time when I "can't" tolerate sodas, during a pregnancy.

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#116 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
Soda was banned when I was growing up. I probably had a total amount of one can until I was in my teens lol.

But now my parents have grown lax and the younger siblings get soda at birthday parties.

I hate buying soda when eating out. I'd rather have water. DH and I don't drink soda/don't buy it when grocery shopping. Although I've been known to drink it at parties where it's available. I hate caffeine so I only drink orange or sprite.

Personally, I can't wait to let DD have a sip (maybe her birthday??) and watch her face lol But she won't be actually drinking any until she is older.
Sunkist orange soda has more caffeine in it than a coke or pepsi.
#117 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaClaudia View Post
how many of you do care and how many of you just let the little one have fun because everyone else is drinking it what is the case in my "hood".
No one in our house does anything because everyone else around us is doing it. If 'everyone' was doing heroin or another drug or jumping off the roof tops of a second story building would you allow your kids to do it so they fit in? I don't quite get that concept.

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#118 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 02:15 PM

My MIL was horrified that I let him have chocolate milk (when I get mocha's, it's organic milk with free trade organic chocolate sauce) but he couldn't have the sobe lean. It's like one is REAL the other is NOT. I'm totally with you on the real foods thing.
#119 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 02:16 PM

No, I can't really think of a time where we've actively given him Coke. We did find him one time drinking from BIL's can of Coke he left on a lawn table. He was mighty happy too. I sometimes make fizzy drinks for him using juice and just carbonated water. But we rarely drink pop, so it's really a non issue.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#120 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
Sunkist orange soda has more caffeine in it than a coke or pepsi.
Then that must not be the kind i'm drinking. Or the mind really is stronger than the body. A red bull can have me puking and shaking in 30 minutes.

Mama to expecting Babe 2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page