Do you let your child drink coca cola? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 185 Old 05-13-2009, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my girls, 7 and 3, have it EXTREMELY rarely and only non-caffinated and non-diet stuff. Basically, they've had sprite and a local rootbeer and grandma's house and bday parties exclusively. They get sips of grandma's sprite when we're around her, and she buys them the tiny cans too. (which they LOVE the idea of, but generally take only a couple sips - bc their cousins actually DRINK the stuff and they WANT to like it!)

Dh and I drink it sometimes - and they just know it's crap and grown-ups get to drink it. (and why they can't have caffeine and why I hate artificial sweetners, etc. for them)

My 7yo was even at a bday party of a classmate where they were serving MT. DEW! and someone offered it to her and she had to first ask what it was - and then if it had caffeine in it - and then just said she wasn't allowed to have that, and drank something else instead. She did that at a sleepover last month too. She's such a good girl. Something tells me my 3yo will NOT behave in the same fashion!!!!

When they were smaller my generic answer was always "different Mommies and Daddies have different rules". Now the 7yo is old enough to understand more of the nutritional aspects, and we talk ALOT about them en totale!

At restaurants - they NEVER have it.

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#182 of 185 Old 05-14-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post

I don't think that soda is any worse than milk. Milk is not a healthfood.

no offense, but what? how can you lump milk in the same catagorey as soda? even homogenized pasterized milk is far better then soda. (though raw milk is leagues above that)
#183 of 185 Old 05-14-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz2491 View Post
no offense, but what? how can you lump milk in the same catagorey as soda? even homogenized pasterized milk is far better then soda. (though raw milk is leagues above that)
Yes. How, you ask? No caffeine, no dye, no HFCS or refined sugar, low sodium, has some vitamins (less than raw but some ARE there, especially in regular pasteurized milk vs UHT pasteurized milk).

BTW- another person who was not allowed soda pop as a child who doesn't drink it now. Sure, I went through a phase, but I got over it. And at least I never had to lose those ten lbs. I could have had from CHILDHOOD when I went to college, got all junk-fooded up, and gained ten. Then it would have been 20 lbs to lose. That would have sucked.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#184 of 185 Old 05-14-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
BTW- another person who was not allowed soda pop as a child who doesn't drink it now. Sure, I went through a phase, but I got over it. And at least I never had to lose those ten lbs. I could have had from CHILDHOOD when I went to college, got all junk-fooded up, and gained ten. Then it would have been 20 lbs to lose. That would have sucked.
I don't think people who are talking about the forbidden fruit aspect of things are even remotely recommending a level of intake that would pack on 10 pounds, yk? They're a pretty big grey area between banning something and allowing a child to put on 10 pounds by overindulging in it.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#185 of 185 Old 05-14-2009, 03:23 AM

No I dn't let them but they get to sip from a little bit specially my daughter gives me this "chowder pleassssseeee". And when you're in a party and they serve this they we're like : ..Lol.

Hipkidz

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page