Forum Jump: 

#1 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do you let your child to dring coca cola or any other
drink of that sort?

My firend asked me once at the restaurant ordering it for
her 5 year old and I was kind of taken by surpirse even of an issue.

I would never order any such a thing. I let occassionally have a sip
from my glass if I order one of those junk drinks for lack of other options
and when I have high sugar drive but that is it and we know that
it is once in a blue moon a sip and only cafeine free things anyways..
and clear for that matter..

I am talking about 3.5 year old here..

my quesition is are you concerned about the high fructose corn syrup?
and phosphoric acid that dissolves teeth?

how many of you do care and how many of you just let the little one have fun because everyone else is drinking it what is the case in my "hood".

thanks.
#2 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 10:59 PM

my kids are allowed to have a soda if we go out to eat occassionally its usually root beer or sprite and on holidays i let them. Do they get them daily, nope and will they ever? Nope. I drink soda quite a bit and they get sips of mine or steal sips LOL but its not that big of a deal to me really as long as they arent sucking it down daily. I'm pretty relaxed about things now that I have five kids, its not worth being crazy over to me anymore.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#3 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 PM

Dd11 is allowed to order a soda if we go out to eat or have one at a party. This happens maybe once or twice a month. I started letting her do this around 7 or so. Dd8 would rather drink bleach. She's a milk or water kinda girl.

The only time we have soda in the house is if we are entertaining, which happens once in a blue moon, so it's not much of an issue on a daily basis.
#4 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:05 PM

We don't have soda in the house, and we rarely order it when we eat out, so it has never come up (granted, my dd is only 2). But I wouldn't let her have soda this young. I don't know when I'll let her have some, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I would never let my child have anything with artificial sweeteners in it, though, like diet soda. *shudders*

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#5 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:08 PM

I don't let DS1 have Coke, though he has had a sip of mine in the past. He is allowed lemonade (like Sprite) because it doesn't have the caffiene in it. He only gets it occasionally though. Normally he will have a chocolate milk or juice if we buy a drink.

In NZ fizzy drinks are made with sugar and I don't have a problem with him having a little bit of sugar now and then.

We don't eat out often, so if we were at a restaurant then I would buy him a lemonade if he wanted one.

It's complicated.
#6 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:09 PM

Nop. I don't even like that my DH drink any soft drink in front the kids.
Lately, We been having lots of talk about food choices. We been talking about sugary stuff are not good for our bodies and other blah, blah.

Besides, I don't drink soda, period!!

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#7 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:12 PM

When dd was younger I wouldn't have gotten her pop to drink.
I don't really drink it so it wasn't something I thought much about.
She's 9 now and it has really only been in the last year or two that she gets a cup with a cola or root beer or something occasionally. I'm not too concerned about it every once in awhile.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#8 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:13 PM

My kids have never had soda.. well, I take that back. My 7 yr old stole a sip a few months back and the carbonation freaked him right out. He opened his mouth and let it all fall back out. Thought it was disgusting (and I was thrilled!).
It's something that DH and I feel pretty strongly about. They have no business with that junk, anyway.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#9 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:15 PM

Nope. Not intentionally! DD is 3.

I drink it occasionally, and once when she was about a year I was carrying her and a fountain soda in one arm, and a million things in the other arm. She bent down, took a drink of my soda, and gagged.

I think she sneaked a sip another day, and had a similiar reaction. But a few weeks ago, she and a 3.5 year old friend were playing on the playground, and friend gave her a sip of her Sprite. She didn't gag, or make any funny faces, which was surprising. She doesn't even like juice or chocolate milk, but she was okay with Sprite?

When she is older, and can brush her teeth without screaming her head off, I will consider giving her some on special occasions.
#10 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Banned

No we don't serve dd soda. It would be one thing at a party or something if she *really* wanted to, but we really don't have it in the home at all, and she is rarely exposed to it.

When we want something fizzy, we mix an all natural juice with club soda - it is really good .

However, dd is only just under 4. When she ages, she will obviously have more of a choice when out and about, and out of our presence, we realize that. We try not to make it a forbidden, but we don't want to make it part of her life either, if that makes sense. It is a balancing act.
#11 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:22 PM

We don't keep sodas in the house, but we do drink them when we're out.

I don't think that soda is any worse than milk. Milk is not a healthfood.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#12 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:26 PM

at b-day parties, on their b-days and the once or month or so we eat out at a restaurant they can order soda if they want.

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#13 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:28 PM

I presently have and plan to maintain a rule that with regard to food if it's in the house it's not restricted from the kids, whatever it is. We don't buy soda a lot, but it's not banished from the premises either. Coke specifically though ... neither my husband or I particularly like it anyway.
#14 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:30 PM

Neither DH or I ever drink pop, so it does not come up as an issue. Otherwise, I believe in nothing that *we* partake of being forbidden, as it then becomes a temptation when old enough to seek it out on their own. So, DS has tried coffee (hates it, thank goodness!), frequently has small sips of wine or beer, and otherwise drinks water and occasional juice...just like us (well, we have adult-sized portions of beer and wine and he has tiny amounts).

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#15 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:35 PM

The worst thing my kids get is Sprite and that is only at resturants. It is not a normal thing at all and I cringe at the thought of them drinking coke :

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#16 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
She is only 20 months old...I don't beleive in giving such young children pop...I think when they start young they seem more "addicted"...When she is older and if she wants a pop I will encourage her to drink the better ones made with sugar and not HFCS..Whole Foods Brand 365 is super yummy...That said I don't keep it in the house...But I might occasionally buy one when we are out...She is happy with a cup of Ricemilk or a bottle of water..She doesn't care for juice or sweet stuff at all...
#17 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:36 PM

I never kept soda in the house. i was a huge huge moutain dew addict before i got pregnant and i cut caffeine cold turkey when I got rpegnant with ds. Since then i went to unsweetened sparkling water or seltzer water, 100% juice, and milke or soymilk or rice milk.

if he or i wants something bubbly we mix juice with selzter water.

When we go out to eat i will usually order lemonade or occasionally sprite and let ds (16 months) have sips, but that's about it. I don't drink coke, dr pepper, pepsi, any of that stuff unless its rum and coke, which ds is obviously not drinking lol.

And I do not see myself giving my 5 year old coke, no. when he is old enough to buy his own body-rotting food (probably around his preteen years) then he can have it and i won't make a huge issue about it. But i refuse to keep that stuff around and he is not allowed to have it.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#18 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:40 PM

Eewww no way. She's way too young. And I hate it.
#19 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:42 PM

NO. FREAKING. WAY.

DS is almost 5 and doesn't even know what soda/ pop/ cola whatever is.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#20 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:44 PM

Nope, I do not allow my children to drink sodas.
#21 of 185 Old 05-11-2009, 11:54 PM

I do occasionally allow soda as a treat, but never to be served with any meal or to be kept in the house on a regular basis. When I do allow soda, it's only caffeine free stuff like root beer or 7up. I don't allow Pepsi, Coke, Diet Coke, ext.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#22 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 12:02 AM

we do keep it in the house, but DD cannot have any - she thinks it is for grownups, like wine or beer. I drink diet and DH drinks regular. Neither of us drink a lot, I drink 1 can a day (ok well, it has been two lately, but I am not pregnant or nursing, so I am living it up woohoo!!) and DH drinks a can a few times a week. I don't drink coffee so it is my only source of caffiene, and I need my caffiene right now (really, really dreading having to cut it out when pregnant). Growing up my family went through 6 2 liter bottles of coke/pepsi a week. 12 liters of soda, maybe a 1/2 gallon of milk and Hi-C fruit punch for breakfast. I can honestly never remember not having soda, so I am sure I got it very young. I didn't drink water as a beverage until college and not as my main beverage until getting pregnant with DD 4 years ago. Obviously I don't want that for DD and we are far from that in our house. I feel like I have come a long way and I would love to get rid of it completely....perhaps when all my kids sleep through the night! I will have to try the fruit juice/seltzer thing, I never would have thought of that.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#23 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 AM

Nope. I rarely drink soda, maybe once a month. When we are out I usually get water.
#24 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 12:09 AM

DD has had sips of root beer and on several occasions cups of ginger ale or sprite when she was having stomach issues. She can sometimes be chronically constipated and her miralax mixes in well with those two drinks. we have never ordered her a soft drink at a restaurant thought.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#25 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 12:15 AM

No sodas for kids in our house. It is considered an "adult drink" like beer or wine, none of which is consumed very often in our house.
#26 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 12:16 AM

Ok I have read all the post I feel like a such a bad mom. My kids 3 and 7 get soda when we go out eat and we keep it in the house and allow only 1/2 can a day. Both of my kids also take sips of our coffee as well. I am a huge pepsi and coffee drinker so they are used to seeing me with soda and coffee. so I think i have gone wrong. However my kids are not overweight and are very activie and now I am going to work on reducing the amount they get.

Mom of 2 ** Wife ** Business Owner

#27 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadebug View Post
No sodas for kids in our house. It is considered an "adult drink" like beer or wine, none of which is consumed very often in our house.
Same here. I can't ever see a time where I'll allow my child to have soda.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#28 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 12:17 AM

No one in our family drinks soda. I wouldn't feel right though about drinking it myself while telling my kids they could not, though.
#29 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 12:19 AM

DD has sips of mine but only because I get tired of the whinning and it's easier to just let her have a sip. It's not going to kill her, after all.
#30 of 185 Old 05-12-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post
DD has sips of mine but only because I get tired of the whinning and it's easier to just let her have a sip. It's not going to kill her, after all.
LMAO! This is true....

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page