spinoff: riding in the shopping cart - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-30-2009, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i watch a little girl during the day, I take her and ds shopping a lot and I often let one ride in the basket. i do have a double stroller though and i use it a lot. i have never really thought about it before i just thought everyone does it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2009, 10:46 PM

in the grocery store... no. I need that space for my groceries. My 2yo sits in the seat or on my back and my 4 and 6yos walk beside me with a hand on the cart.

in target? oh yes. My 2yo still rides in the seat but I put my other boys in the basket with a bag of popcorn and walk around looking until the popcorn runs out.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:35 PM

The place we frequent only has the high basket carts that were popular in the 1980s so the basket was not OK for sitting. They also do not have functioning seat belts. During dd's squirmier phases, I brought a long tie to fashion as a belt. However, if I felt that my child could be trusted to sit reasonably well and I was feeling attentive enough to keep an eye on her, I would have had no problem with her sitting in the regular grocery cart basket.

Perspective people. Seriously. I am quite surprised that people are flinging around thinly veiled insults at each other over this. You do what you gotta do. If you have the kid that bolts for the door or climbs the end caps, the basket is likely a far lesser risk.

Yes, kids get hurt in shopping carts. Kids get hurt doing just about everything. My dd fractured her leg tripping over her own feet in our kitchen...... The far greater danger is the car trip to the store...even with the latest and greatest car seat. If kids sitting in the cart makes you nervous, don't put your kid in there. But to call one negligent/dumb/EVIL for weighing up the scenario and deciding the cart basket makes the most sense is a bit over the top IMO.

FTR, I was victim of a runaway cart. My mom was loading the groceries into the car while I was properly fastened into the seat. As she put the last bag in, the slight slope of the lot caused the cart to roll away. It picked up speed until it hit a drain cover and surrounding depression and went end over end. It was terrifying for everyone involved, but I was fine. Then my mom put me in the trunk of the station wagon with no seatbelt to keep the groceries from toppling on the drive home Bigger fish to fry.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:25 AM

Uh....where has someone called people using the basket "evil"?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
FTR, I was victim of a runaway cart. My mom was loading the groceries into the car while I was properly fastened into the seat. As she put the last bag in, the slight slope of the lot caused the cart to roll away. It picked up speed until it hit a drain cover and surrounding depression and went end over end. It was terrifying for everyone involved, but I was fine. Then my mom put me in the trunk of the station wagon with no seatbelt to keep the groceries from toppling on the drive home Bigger fish to fry.
oh my gosh! thats absolutely horrifying!!! (the cart not the station wagon part)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:50 AM

Oh good grief, people do get bent out of shape over the littlest things....

DD fell out of the 'babyseat' part of a cart (roperly buckled) when she was about 2.5. The edge of the cart fell off, and she went down with it (it was a pretty new cart, there would have been no way to predict that.)

I can't put my kids in bubble wrap, but given the risk of a child wandering off or being injured by something falling, somonne running over them, someone walking off with them etc, I'll take my chances with the cart. If they sit on their bum in the bottom of the cart, they can stay. If they can't do that, or remain safely buckled, they certainly aren't to be trusted walking around.

I do think it's dangerous to see a kid standing in a cart and leaning over, but when they're sitting nicely, it simply isn't a big enough risk for me to feel like I should judge someone else's choices because it might not be the ideal solution.

What is the ideal solution though when you have a cart with one child seat, and two kids too small to walk around on their own? A carrier may not work for everyone.. not everyone has child care...

I suspect we all do the best we can, and try to keep our kids as safe as we can.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by confustication View Post

What is the ideal solution though when you have a cart with one child seat, and two kids too small to walk around on their own? A carrier may not work for everyone.. not everyone has child care...
I'm a single mom with a 16 month old and a 13 month old, and shopping was somewhat of a nightmare until i figured out to just take two carts. Its actually easier than you'd think! (Though i get lots of looks from other shoppers.) I dont have a problem with kids in the big basket but my toddler insisted on standing, so that didnt work out, plus he would step on the groceries. taking the double stroller in also wasnt a great solution, as they are more likely to fuss than when up high in the cart, plus not too much room for groceries. So, if i take two carts they can each have a seat, i can put my purse, diaper bag and any jackets in the basket of one, and the groceries in the other. I pretty much push one cart while pulling the other...a little tricky rounding corners but i've gotten pretty good at it!

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
Old 05-31-2009, 03:45 AM

i just leave my kids in the car while i shop
Old 05-31-2009, 06:23 AM

My son sits in the designated spot, stands in the food area, pushes the cart, rides on the front and the back of the cart, or walks beside.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
Old 05-31-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post
My parents did.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymamajoy View Post
I don't put my kids in the cart because I need that space for groceries.

When they start objecting to the seat, I start teaching them how to walk along with me.
This. Fortunately, DS (18 mos) has never known anything different, so doesn't mind riding in the seat. Hopefully that won't change anytime soon...
Old 05-31-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Old 05-31-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
oh my gosh! thats absolutely horrifying!!! (the cart not the station wagon part)
Actually, from a physics standpoint, the basket of the cart has a lower center of gravity than the seat, even if a small child is standing in it. So, had I been in the basket rather than the seat, the cart may not have flipped. It probably would have still tipped over but the tumbling action might have been avoided. You just never know.....

All of the witnesses were shocked that I came out with only a couple of minor cuts and bruises. So was I. I was only three but I still vividly remember thinking it was NOT GOOD that I was rolling away..... The road was only another 10 feet past the drain cover:
Old 05-31-2009, 12:04 PM

lol!

what i really want is a nanny to watch my kids while i shop.

i really hate those car carts. they are impossible to maneuver, when ds was around 2ish, we always had to get them, and then he would grab stuff off the shelves as i went by.

i have seen carts turn over from kids standing on the side and holding on. my 7yo always does that and i keep having to remind her to get off!
Old 05-31-2009, 12:41 PM

With all the talk of falling, flipping, being run over, carts falling apart, end caps toppling, and runaway carts, I'm thinking about making my daughter wear a crash helmet and perhaps a bubble wrap suit next we go to the store.

coolshine.gif

Old 05-31-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Might be safer.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post
I'm a single mom with a 16 month old and a 13 month old, and shopping was somewhat of a nightmare until i figured out to just take two carts. Its actually easier than you'd think!
What's your secret? I've tried that a few times, for various reasons, and I've never been able to make it work at all.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 05-31-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post
(As a side thought to the OP, is it possible she fights it because she's uncomfortable? Maybe it slows circulation in her legs and makes them fall asleep or her bottom hurt?? Maybe padding the seat to make it comfy would make it easier to get her to sit.)
Oh, yeah - I didn't think of that. I should have. One of my nephews has always hated the cart seat, because his legs went to sleep and he was really, really uncomfortable in it.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

User Tag List