spinoff: riding in the shopping cart - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought of this while reading the slide thread and since I do let my 18mo dd ride inside the cart I was wondering what others think of it?

She absolutely hates sitting in the designated spot with the strap so our rule is she has to stay seated in the big part of the cart and she can't then we will carry her/hand hold/leave the store...

It works for us and I never really thought about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 05:19 PM

Are you asking from a safety standpoint? Personally I think it is fine as long as they stay seated. I remember doing this a lot as a kid when shopping with my mom. I always had to sit on a jacket or something though because the wire mesh hurt my tush.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

Old 05-28-2009, 05:20 PM

I don't have a problem with it. Lots of parents don't even really have a choice. If you have two young kids (or three, if it's a two-seat cart), then you need to put the "extra" one somewhere!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 05-28-2009, 05:23 PM

I've thought a lot about putting DS in the basket part because he really hates the seat but I'm going to wait till he's old enough to understand "no standing up!" because right now it's just asking for disaster

I used to ride in the basket all the time as a kid. Then when my siblings got older my mom would have me sit or lay on the pallet thing ever the basket

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:35 PM

I don't put my kids in the cart because I need that space for groceries.

When they start objecting to the seat, I start teaching them how to walk along with me.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:36 PM

Mine hates riding in the seat. I will usually start off there, and end up carrying him, which is a PITA when it's time to check out the groceries. I hadn't considered putting him in the cart because that's where I put the food for the most part. I don't want to deal with him dumping out my bag of cherries or opening the box of cheerios. And dumping that out too.

I am waiting for DH to come around to using a tether. I want one really really bad. I could let him walk as much as he wants, then carry him if/when he gets tired.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymamajoy View Post
I don't put my kids in the cart because I need that space for groceries.

When they start objecting to the seat, I start teaching them how to walk along with me.
I can understand that, but if my kids stop riding in the cart, they can stay home. I hate shopping as it is - I hate it even more when I'm dealing with kids not staying with me. DD's not bad, but ds2 is a nightmare.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 05-28-2009, 06:17 PM

Where I shop, the cart usually has two baskets and they're a bit shallow, so I wouldn't let my kids hang out in them. I also have my grocery boxes in them and groceries in those boxes so there is no room. My 3 year old either sits in the seat or he walks along with me. My 18 month old, sits in the seat.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My kids have always been either strapped in the cart's seat, in a sling, or walking next to me, but I only have 2 kids and my 4yo DS is not a runner, so I have it pretty easy at the grocery store. If I had more kids or my DS wasn't so reliable about staying near me, I'm sure I'd consider putting him in the cart.

My store does have some of those car-shaped carts, though, with 2 seats up by the handle and 2 more seats inside the car, so for larger families it's nice for there to be a safe spot for at least 4 kids.

A quick story -- just last weekend, my friend was grocery shopping with her 3 sons. Her 18mo baby was strapped into the cart's seat and her 3yo and 6yo were walking with her. She turned around for a moment to grab an item from a shelf, and her 3yo decided to stand on the lower rack of the cart and the whole thing tipped over! Luckily none of the boys were hurt too badly, but it was very scary. So even if you're doing everything "right," things can still happen.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 05-28-2009, 06:20 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as they're sitting down. It really freaks me out to see kids standing inside a cart hanging almost out of it.

My almost 3 year old loves the seat so he always sits there. And buckles himself in usually unless the belt's too short.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Eh, doesn't really bother me. DS for the most part sits in the seat, but there are times when he is DONE grocery shopping and putting him in the basket will keep him satisfied long enough for me to check out. As long as he is sitting I am fine. Sometimes I will let him hang on to the side of the basket. I remember doing that when I was little with my dad and I loved it! I also sat under the cart but I swear there was more room under there when I was little. My favorites though are the little cars attached to the carts- DS will sit in that for hours.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 05-28-2009, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have no problem with it. I have 3 kids, eventually one ends up in there at times. They have to stay sitting though.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
its dangerous. I let my kids do it anyway. really if you aren't really watching your toddler anywhere in a shopping cart is dangerous. I have seen many more kids tumble out of the seats (and yes they were buckled in) than out of the basket (I work at a grocery store, kids go flying all over the place all the time.) the safest place for toddlers especially are the big huge carts that look like cars or space ships or whatever. they are low to the ground and the ones that are up higher have really high sides. So much better.

I should add, we have the deep baskets here. in Tx they have the high shallow baskets and there is no way I would ever let my child ride there. of course on those carts under the basket is a really fun place to ride. . . . I don't know if I would let my toddler do it but 5 and up, heck yeah.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:55 PM

I used to do this, but now I am a business owner and all I can see it as is a huge liability. If a child falls to the floor, the store can be held responsible.

Each year thousands of kids fall out of shopping carts whether they are in the seat and not buckled or in the basket. It's a little scary. I caught my son at 1 when he figured out how to undo the buckle and stood up in his seat while I was looking at the shelf for something. I turned around just in time!

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/5075.html
Old 05-28-2009, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
sometimes the only way to get shopping done in peace is to bring along a couple body pillows and make Allie a cozy nest in the cart.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 05-28-2009, 06:59 PM

DD is 9 so too big to ride in the cart now so she either walks with us or pushes the cart for us. What we do for fun is when it's time to put the cart away she gets in front of me and I tell her to hold on tight and I give her a ride through the parking lot to the cart return. People may think I am crazy but I don't care...she loves it.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:59 PM

our grocery store is very tiny and the only carts are for children to push but if we where to shop at a store big enough for regular carts and as long as my son was well behaved i would be fine with him sitting in the cart. i'm not sure if at 19 months he would understand the importance of staying seated but then it has never come up so maybe he would be fine.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Old 05-28-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
the safest place for toddlers especially are the big huge carts that look like cars or space ships or whatever. they are low to the ground and the ones that are up higher have really high sides.
One of our grocery stores had a few of those. I've actually followed people back to their cars to wait while they unloaded so I could get one. Mind you, none of those people had any problem with it, and about half have admitted to doing the same thing. DH thinks I'm nuts.

The carts are gone. I know they were having trouble with people stealing them, so I guess that's why. I'm bummed.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Worm View Post
DD is 9 so too big to ride in the cart now so she either walks with us or pushes the cart for us. What we do for fun is when it's time to put the cart away she gets in front of me and I tell her to hold on tight and I give her a ride through the parking lot to the cart return. People may think I am crazy but I don't care...she loves it.
That's what I do with my 7 year old. Its still fun to do that!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:30 PM

I don't have a problem with it. Sometimes, it's a necessity.

What bugs me now is that my 4 yo has been wanting to ride on the very bottom of the cart lately. That's probably more dangerous b/c I worry about him getting a limb ran over. Mostly I am annoyed because he climbs in and out easily to grab things off the lower shelves w/o me noticing.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
That's what I do with my 7 year old. Its still fun to do that!
yeah..we go fast so it's like an amusement park ride..wish i could try it but I am a little too big for someone to push me...maybe when i lose weight
Old 05-28-2009, 07:43 PM

We have three kids. Sometimes one is in the seat, and two are in the cart. Often though, our five year old walks, or stands on the cart frame holding on to the back of the cart.

Honestly, in crowded stores like Costco where everybody is pushing their giant cart around and not paying attention to where they are going prefer to have the kids in the cart where they won't get squished by somebody with a dolly full of dog food.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I can understand that, but if my kids stop riding in the cart, they can stay home. I hate shopping as it is - I hate it even more when I'm dealing with kids not staying with me. DD's not bad, but ds2 is a nightmare.

Honestly, I prefer to not bring the children when I'm shopping by myself. My oldest didn't object to the cart until he was past the running away phase and DD doesn't seem to mind the seat.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymamajoy View Post
Honestly, I prefer to not bring the children when I'm shopping by myself. My oldest didn't object to the cart until he was past the running away phase and DD doesn't seem to mind the seat.
DS2 likes the cart, but he's starting to object to the seat, and he can't use the strap in most of them.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:19 PM

So far we've gotten by with a baby carrier of some sort, the grocery cart seat, or walking. I've never really understood how any actual shopping could get done with a kid in the cart. The carts at my Whole Foods are so small I could probably only get a loaf of bread in there with my 3 year old. And at the big regular grocery store we go to, the carts are those sort of high shallow ones. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting my kid in there.

coolshine.gif

Old 05-28-2009, 08:23 PM

I let my kids ride in the basket once they're old enough to understand the no standing up rule.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:23 PM

Most of the time we grocery shop as a family so dh carries ds (almost 5) around on his shoulders or they walk around together and I push the cart and everyone's happy. If I need to go without dh, then ds rides in the basket of the cart, he's too big to fit in the seat part of the cart now or I would put him in there. He doesn't stand up and the carts at our stores are the really deep ones. His weight in the basket actually helps with the carts center of gravity.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
So far we've gotten by with a baby carrier of some sort, the grocery cart seat, or walking. I've never really understood how any actual shopping could get done with a kid in the cart.
DD actually likes it when I bury her partway. I obviously avoid putting anything too heavy, cold or uncomfortable on her, but she'll ask me to put fruit, veggies, bread, cereal, etc. on her. One day, she told me it was her goal to have only her head sticking out of the groceries.

I shop mostly at one of two stores. One of them has standard older carts - one seat, and a narrow, deep basket (this is the store that used to have the car carts). It can be hard to fit my groceries in sometimes. The other store has wider, shallower carts. They have two seats, but only three leg holes - my kids are too big to share the shelf comfortably now - and two baskets - one upper one that's about half the length of the cart, and then the lower one. They hold more, and sometimes one of my kids will ride in the upper basket. That's not quite as safe as the lower one, but still fine, if they stay seated...and I don't have any problem fitting in my groceries that way!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 PM

The carts at our store have a sign on them forbidding children in the basket area. I figure the cart owner has spoken and that's that. If there's not a prohibition... well, I think it's a safety risk because of the way those carts are balanced, but that's your call.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 PM

I've just started letting my 2.5 year old do that. Standing up isn't an issue or hasn't been one yet. He usually just rests his head on something and relaxes, haha. This doesn't really work on big trips to the store as there isn't any room in the basket.
We usually start off in the seat, then move on to walking and then he asks to sit in the basket. I'm often relieved once he asks for the basket because he has a habit of walking REALLY close to the buggy and it makes me nervous because he is so little!
The first couple of times I let him do it, I did feel a little uncomfortable about what other people were thinking, to be honest, because I was always taught that was "wrong" when growing up.

User Tag List