Parents who CHOOSE not to eat/feed their family organic - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 183 Old 06-02-2009, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
Also, if I'm going to eat processed foods I don't think it's usually THAT much healthier to eat organic mac and cheese, or organic oreos. That's just me, and it's not necessarily true for those specific items. I prefer to read labels, and if the cheaper item is similar I go for that item.
For processed foods, I read labels too rather than looking for organics. If the non-organic item is cheaper and doesn't have anything I find unacceptable like partially hydrogenated oil, HFCS, or artificial flavors, I often just go with it. Whole Foods has some store brand items that are not organic but that don't have any of the ingredients I try to avoid, and they are generally quite a bit less expensive than the organic version.

ETA - saving money this way allows me to be able to pay a premium for local products like humanely raised beef and pork.

coolshine.gif

#182 of 183 Old 06-03-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBikeLover View Post
I've only read the first and last page of this thread, but I agree with this. I could afford to buy all organic, but then my food bill would go from $1,000 to $2,000 a month (we eat tons of fruits and meat and organic is at least double the price). That would be $1,000 that i would not be putting in the kids 529 plans.

Plus, I am not sold that organic is really that much better for you. And like others mentioned on the first page, I like convenience foods. I work full time and when I get home, I don't want to spend a long time cooking. I'd rather have that time to play with the kids.

I'm sorry, did I read this right? You spend $1000/month on groceries? From your siggy, it looks like you've only got 2 kids. You spend almost as much on your groceries as we spend on our mortgage. lol.

To just jump in on this thread....We don't buy organic anything really. Mostly b/c of the cost. It's ridiculous that they can expect the normal working family to be able to afford most of those prices. I do garden, so that helps out on the produce bill a bit during the summer months. I need to expand it though. DH isn't too excited about all the extra work of digging out/fencing in more yard for me though, so that will likely be another year or two. We do eat pretty healthily though. Try to 'eat out of a box' at most 1x/week. I have to save my sanity somehow! I do the best I can with what I have. There are many days the three kiddos and I only see dh for an hour or two/day. I do cook from scratch most of the time, but again, there's only so much time and patience in a day. One thing that I would love to get organic though is milk. We go through 2+ gallons every week. With regular milk being $1.89, and the organic being well over $4 in most places, it's just not going to happen right now.

Nicole
mom to three awesome kids.

Nicole, mom to three awesome kids A(3/03), G(4/06), and E(5/08)
#183 of 183 Old 06-03-2009, 07:33 PM

I only read the first 3 pages....

I am wondering why non-organic automatically= crap food. We don't eat organic because we can't afford it but we also don't sit around eating hamburger helper all day everyday.

As for the great organic debate in all honesty most of the time it is hype. Organic does not equal healthier in boxed foods. I don't understand people who buy it thinking that it does more so than people who by conventional boxed foods. With regards to produce "organic" standards are still pretty poor.

I'm far more concerned with eating whole local seasonal foods than something with an organic sticker. Just isn't as reliable as folks seem to think nor does "organic" hold the monopoly on healthful foods.

I feel the same way about organic as I do about those eco friendly light bulbs. Yeah they are all well and good but really what is best for the planet is turning off your darn light just like what is best for your body is not buying the prepackaged foods organic or no. It's just the current fad.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page