Parents who CHOOSE not to eat/feed their family organic - Mothering Forums
1 2  3  ... Last
Parenting > Parents who CHOOSE not to eat/feed their family organic
Amila's Avatar Amila 09:52 PM 05-31-2009
Can anyone help me find an explanation for this? I don't get it. DH and I have a few close friends who can afford organic, but happen to come off as pretty anti-organic.

The only things I can come up with are:

1- They ate that way growing up and are alive today argurment
2- They aren't giving in to the organic "hype"

Thoughts?

Arwyn's Avatar Arwyn 09:53 PM 05-31-2009
Have you asked them?
Rosedotcom's Avatar Rosedotcom 09:58 PM 05-31-2009
I don't think you have to eat organic to eat healthy, but that doesn't equal ezmac. I do think it has a lot to do with your upbringing and what you were raised on.
frontierpsych's Avatar frontierpsych 10:00 PM 05-31-2009
a lot of people are convinced that their kids just won't like healthy food so why bother trying? It's not an attitude I get, honestly.
Liquesce's Avatar Liquesce 10:06 PM 05-31-2009
Different tastes and a different concept of what constitutes a reasonable diet. I'm not even sure why there's a question in that, honestly. Different people eat different ways ... the notion that ez-mac can ONLY be explained by ignorance or poverty is just ... odd.
shayinme's Avatar shayinme 10:10 PM 05-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosedotcom View Post
I don't think you have to eat organic to eat healthy, but that doesn't equal ezmac. I do think it has a lot to do with your upbringing and what you were raised on.
I think there is a lot of truth in this. I grew up working class and there are a lot of foods I still enjoy despite knowing they are bad for me (fried bologna sandwich as one example). Granted I don't eat them often but I know I have friends who wonder about some of my eating habits. Since while I do eat fairly healthy and organic, I do like my junk .

All in all I say I would just ask these folks if its something you really want to know.
claddaghmom's Avatar claddaghmom 10:11 PM 05-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila View Post
Can anyone help me find an explanation for this? I don't get it. DH and I have a few close friends with NO money problems, who are very well educated (one is in the health field, the other is a biologist) and they are pretty anti-organic, and just often eat and feed their kids stuff that is BLATANTLY bad. Like EZ-MAC. For a 1-year old.

The only things I can come up with are:

1- They ate that way growing up and are alive today argurment
2- They aren't giving in to the organic "hype"

Thoughts?
Health field. Biologist.

I think that explains it?

34me's Avatar 34me 10:11 PM 05-31-2009
My sister falls into this catagory. She also works alot because well, she's upper middle class. Her deal is mostly time. She has huge mother guilt (although she also loves her job) and wants to spend as much time as possible as she can with her girls. She goes into work at 4 in the morning so that she can be home at 4 to help with home work and shuttle to activities. Oh, and she once burned the green beans trying to boil them. It's easier to bake some chicken nuggets that it is to do almost anything else. She does those make ahead meal places once in a while and it's better, but.....
4evermom's Avatar 4evermom 10:18 PM 05-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Different tastes and a different concept of what constitutes a reasonable diet. I'm not even sure why there's a question in that, honestly. Different people eat different ways ... the notion that ez-mac can ONLY be explained by ignorance or poverty is just ... odd.
: I don't understand why you think EZmac is "BLATANTLY" bad.
reezley's Avatar reezley 10:19 PM 05-31-2009
Convenience? I bet if there were an Annie's Organic Easy Mac they would buy it instead. I myself make the kids Annie's Shells & Cheese way too often...
AFWife's Avatar AFWife 10:29 PM 05-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosedotcom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
a lot of people are convinced that their kids just won't like healthy food so why bother trying? It's not an attitude I get, honestly.
nak

these... plus, if they're used to eating crap they'll be less open to changing their palate as well.
gcgirl's Avatar gcgirl 10:35 PM 05-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
: I don't understand why you think EZmac is "BLATANTLY" bad.
Yeah...I guess if that's ALL they eat...

Anti-organic I get, because all the "major" studies have found no nutritional difference between organic and non-organic produce. *I'm* not sold on that, plus there are a number of environmental, bigger-picture reasons to eat organic, but I can see an educated individual deciding it's not a big deal.
4evermom's Avatar 4evermom 10:42 PM 05-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
Yeah...I guess if that's ALL they eat...
Or if it's made with lead shavings...

Maybe the kid likes it and it makes him happy. I would've been thrilled if my ds would've eaten any food between the ages of one and two. He did his best to EBF and occasionally tolerated a few pretzels.
ssh's Avatar ssh 10:54 PM 05-31-2009
If EZmac has that fake powdered cheese stuff and white pasta, then it's full of sodium, artificial colors, and empty calories. I use barilla plus when I make pasta. It's high protein and has more nutrients. You can also melt real cheese into hot drained pasta. My 3.5 DD still doesn't eat a lot so I try to offer her nutrient rich foods. When I'm too busy, there's alway things like cold garbanzo beans and grape tomatoes, which also has more nutrients than boxed mac and cheese.
Evan&Anna's_Mom's Avatar Evan&Anna's_Mom 10:55 PM 05-31-2009
Well, for 2 WOH parent families, a lot of it boils down to convience. I shop at the local supermarket. What it carries is what we eat. We do make an effort to get to the farmer's market most weekends, which gives us great produce options. And I do cook from scratch more than many WOHMs do. But realistically, many choices we make are "less bad" amongst the convenient options that are easily available. Its often driven by what the day's schedule is X what the grocery store carries. Its not nearly as perfectly healthy as it could be with more time, but its the best we can do.

And really, I'm not buying into the "it always has to be perfectly healthy" obsession. My basic belief is that if its mostly healthy, to occassional EzMac (or Big Mac) isn't going to hurt anyone. Even if its accompanied by a soda and non-organic apples.
Teensy's Avatar Teensy 10:57 PM 05-31-2009
Because we all have different priorities in life and it's not at the top of their list. I read all the arguments on MDC that eating healthy is just as easy and inexpensive as eating less healthy choices, but I promise I can make my kids Kraft Mac-n-cheese, knowing they will eat every last bite on their plate, faster than homemade pasta, which they may or may not eat, or chopping vegetables, which they likely won't eat, period. I do NOT enjoy cooking, so the less thought and effort involved in a meal, the better. I try to limit the junk my family eats, but compared to what I read about other MDC moms feed their families, our meals probably have more in common with those of which you write. :
Storm Bride's Avatar Storm Bride 10:59 PM 05-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
You can also melt real cheese into hot drained pasta.
I love homemade mac & cheese, and I also love the Kraft stuff. I find cheese melted straight into noodles disgusting, and neither of my kids like it, either. I've tried it a few times. I make sauce from scratch, instead. However, that does take much, much longer than the boxed stuff, is more expensive...and both my younger ones like the boxed stuff better. *sigh*

Quote:
My 3.5 DD still doesn't eat a lot so I try to offer her nutrient rich foods. When I'm too busy, there's alway things like cold garbanzo beans and grape tomatoes, which also has more nutrients than boxed mac and cheese.
I have no idea if my kids would touch cold garbanzo beans, as neither of them seem to care for bean (except canned kidney beans, for whatever reason) all that much. I've tried introducing beans quite a few times. They love grape tomatoes...but ds2 could eat a whole package and still be hungry. That doesn't tend to happen with something like EZ Mac. Sometimes, getting the child full counts for a lot.

OP: Do you know for sure that they have no money problems? People don't always talk about it...even with close friends.
mamazee's Avatar mamazee 11:04 PM 05-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by reezley View Post
Convenience? I bet if there were an Annie's Organic Easy Mac they would buy it instead. I myself make the kids Annie's Shells & Cheese way too often...
There is one. Not that I would know about that or anything . . .
Liquesce's Avatar Liquesce 11:09 PM 05-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I have no idea if my kids would touch cold garbanzo beans, as neither of them seem to care for bean (except canned kidney beans, for whatever reason) all that much. I've tried introducing beans quite a few times. They love grape tomatoes...but ds2 could eat a whole package and still be hungry. That doesn't tend to happen with something like EZ Mac. Sometimes, getting the child full counts for a lot..
Had I just made a no-context post about my son's diet at a year old people would have been appalled. But it was successfully maximize calories by whatever means possible or go down the feeding tube route. While I suppose there are some people who would prefer the tube to a lot of sugar, salt, preservatives, and whatnot, I'm not one of them. Had he been willing to sit down to boxed mac and cheese and really eat I'd have been thrilled.
cappuccinosmom's Avatar cappuccinosmom 11:14 PM 05-31-2009
For my family it was a little bit of many things.

Definitely, my parents don't buy into the 'organic hype'. They also grew up eating a moderately reasonable diet but definitely not healthy-healthy. And the reason they were middle-upper income was that both my parents were working and simply didn't have *time* to be super-conciencious.

They did try though. Growing up, many of our evening meals were rice/noodles (white), crockpot meat, and steamed veggies. Better than a lot of kids get, for sure. We got chips and ice cream and candy on top of that, but the base wasn't so bad.
Just Elsa's Avatar Just Elsa 11:15 PM 05-31-2009
They believe differently than you do. There's a good chance they're equally horrified that you would choose not to vaccinate your kids- that's a decision a lot of folks don't understand. Sometimes all we can really do is accept that other people make different choices and let it go. Maybe this is the current state of a decision to let their kids self-direct and they're just waiting for the kids to choose healthier foods.
madskye's Avatar madskye 11:18 PM 05-31-2009
Some people just don't care about food, really. I have a friend who's educated, well-off, etc--and the whole family eats a ton of processed food. And she is a big runner, in excellent shape. Cooking, nutrition, vegetables...are just not her thing.
Anglyn's Avatar Anglyn 11:18 PM 05-31-2009
I must also chime in with convienace.

My coworkers call me supermom and marvel that I go home each day and cook dinner. Except recently, I havent done it near as much. Im tired, frankly. When I cook casseroles, I always use the good whole wheat pastas etc, but sometimes my kids do get mac n cheese from a box and gasp, hotdogs.

They love it too. At least I try for chicken hotdogs.

I tried researched healthy eating and there is a lot of conflicting info out there and on here. Meat is toxic, meat is vital, eat it raw. Diary is evil, drink soy, soy is evil dont drink it. And everything is contaminated. I gave up. I told dh that the only way to be safe is to grow and raise all your own food but then you have to worry about whats in your soil and water!!!!!!!

Ive decided to eat as healthy as possible, eat what we like, even the occasional trip to mcdonalds, and hope for the best.
choli's Avatar choli 11:26 PM 05-31-2009
Why don't you set up a Vegan and a Traditional Foods believer for a debate and see if that opens your mind to the fact that people have differing ideas about what constitutes a healthy diet?
honeybee's Avatar honeybee 11:31 PM 05-31-2009
I'm kinda shocked you're surprised, actually. Most of the educated, not-struggling people i know eat crap. The exceptions are the NP crowd. There is an obesity epidemic among our children and everyone seems to think it can't happen to "their" children. In fact, we get a lot of hostility for insisting on healthy foods --and a lot of that insistence is due to food allergies, so we're not just being "picky." But, OMG, if you could see the snacks people bring for my ds's 5 yo soccer games at the Y, of all places. : It boggles the mind. And it's hard to politely refuse without being perceived as rude or snobbish.

And I hate cooking as much as the next person. We do it for our kids. And it's not about organics, but just trying to avoid artificial everything and hfcs... plus the various allergens.
EviesMom's Avatar EviesMom 11:31 PM 05-31-2009
A lot of organic stuff and natural stuff hasn't really been proven to be healthier. Some of it is lighter on the earth; and some stuff that's not labelled organic is probably actually better than the labelled stuff. I buy some organic stuff, some local non-organic, and some shipped from who knows where stuff that is not organic. We live in NYC, it's not the main source of pollutants for my family I imagine. Not worth shelling out extra $$ for IMO.

I buy local eggs from free-range, well-treated chickens. I don't actually think they're healthier, but they do taste better, and it's an ethics issue for me. I buy TJ milk--hormone free bc I think that makes a health difference. But not organic, bc it's too much $$ and it's less of an ethics issue for me. (I don't think organic factory cows live much better than non-organic factory cows.)

I just bought pre-made pie crusts, my pantry has lots of box mac n' cheese (Trader Joe's, not Annie's... it's 1/2 the price and the sauce melts better). I worry about demonstrated difference in nutrition first, then in taste. Between the two, I end up with fairly natural stuff with fats and caffiene and sugar and salt. That's fine and normal IMO, and I don't want them removed via chemicals. We don't use salt except in baking, literally it's in the baking drawer and guests end up asking where the salt is. I don't feel that it makes food taste better, so none of us use it. I'm NOT worried about sodium in box mac n' cheese. None of us have issues with body fat or cholesterol or anything, so as long as it's not trans fat, I'd rather naturally occuring fat than fat-removed and replaced with funky stuff instead. Same with sugar. Better than HCFS, which I do try to avoid, but not stringently. If there's something we eat/drink a lot of, I switch brands to avoid it. But DH loves his coke, and I'm not paying the $ to ship HCFS-free to us. There are bigger issues in our lives.
limabean's Avatar limabean 11:33 PM 05-31-2009
They're probably not overanalyzing it or thinking "This is the pinnacle of nutrition and I am a Perfect Parent for feeding this to my kids." They're probably just thinking, "This is quick, easy, and he'll eat a lot of it in one sitting."
Amylcd's Avatar Amylcd 11:35 PM 05-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by reezley
If we are going by taste, I would take Kraft easy mac over Annie's anyday. Annie's is bland, in my (and my kids) opinions. I have a cabinet full of it, and no one wants to eat it.

We eat a lot of organic, healthy foods... but we also eat "mainstream junk" too.
RollerCoasterMama's Avatar RollerCoasterMama 11:37 PM 05-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by reezley View Post
There is!!! It's good---we keep it around for emergencies. The white cheddar kind is yummmmm.
isaoma's Avatar isaoma 11:43 PM 05-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
Anti-organic I get, because all the "major" studies have found no nutritional difference between organic and non-organic produce.
Actually, I think that this thinking in the health/medical field has taken a turn recently. I see health & food journals articles that quote major studies that have found that organic foods fruits & vegetables AND those from animal sources (eggs, dairy and meat) are more nutritionally packed. Although, no one has come out and said this is true across the board -- i.e. one study found organic pastured eggs more nutritionally dense, another found pastured cows have more CLA, and yet another stated that carrots grown in bio-dynamic soil had more nutrients, etc.
1 2  3  ... Last

Up