calling all Mamas who gave their DSs unique names! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas!

So...we're trying to pick up boy names, for those of you with little boys who have unique names...we want something strong, that is not common...but not totally out there, you know? What was your thought process in naming your son something special...and what did you end up going with?

We have "Eli"...but don't know what we'd use for a middle name...what do you think?

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#2 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Well I KNOW!

That's the problem....Eli, is the best we can come up with and it's not THAT uncommon and becoming even less so.

Our dream would be to give our son a more traditional Irish name...I love names like Callum, etc. My MIL stole my favorite boy name ever (Colin) and gave it to my DH! So...I can't use that one...I love Finley, but it's getting more and more popular...I just don't know.

We keep coming back to Eli...but I don't know...We named DD Avery Elisabeth...LOVED it...and now, a year later...the name is becoming more and more popular and I'm trying not to care but I DO! Ack!

ETA: Yeah, my DD has the most amazing blue eyes...so she wears a lot of deep navy blues and gorgeous sea greens...people actually get mad, when they say "Oh how handsome your son is!" and I say "Yes, we thinks she's perfect!" and they say to me "Well, it confuses people when you dress her in lue like that, she should be wearing girl colors, how are people supposed to know she's a girl!" - and huff away. I'm thinking to myself, when this happens "People" aren't "supposed" to know...I could care less if they think she's a boy! She looks great in blue and green! Sorry! Ooooh...people. What are you gonna do?

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#3 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 AM

Our second son is Kingston because of my memorable birth- my water broke in our RV in Kingston, NY and we made a mad 6 hour dash home to ensure it would be a homebirth- which it was, but the midwife arrived 45 minutes after our son emerged. My husband is also really into reggae so Kingston is kind of a significant for him.

Then we found out Gwen Stefani also named her son Kingston... so maybe not totally unique but still pretty rare.
#4 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 10:39 AM

Is there a last name in your family on either side that you like?

We were this close (insert fingers coming together) to using my mother's maiden name for DS's first name but we chickened out. Part of me wishes we would have used it.

A college friend of mine used her mother's maiden name, which is also her (the friend's) middle name for her son's first name.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#5 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 10:39 AM

I love the name Kingston!
#6 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 11:19 AM

My DS is named 'Royce'. No interesting story to go along with that - DH made a list of his top 5 favourite names using a couple of baby name books, and Royce was my favourite (and his) on the list. We get so many compliments on the name which is nice. Although as the name was told and retold to family it was like a game of broken telephone, I had people thinking the name was Royden, Boyce, Bryce, and Darcy (this last one was my 96 year old grandma, but still)

Some other names I really like:

Oren (vetoed by dh)
Coen (I first heard this name from a mama in my ddc, and I love it)
Quinn (although this is becoming very common)
Bryn
Brandt
Reed

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#7 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 11:24 AM

My boys are Davin and Oakley. Not too common, the only other Oakley's I've heard of are girls. My other absolute favorite boy name is Jasper.
#8 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 11:33 AM

I can't share their names here, but both of my children are named after characters in a video game. These names are "real", but uncommon.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#9 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
My boys are Davin and Oakley. Not too common, the only other Oakley's I've heard of are girls. My other absolute favorite boy name is Jasper.
Ooohhhh, Jasper! I like that!

#10 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post
My DS is named 'Royce'. No interesting story to go along with that - DH made a list of his top 5 favourite names using a couple of baby name books, and Royce was my favourite (and his) on the list. We get so many compliments on the name which is nice. Although as the name was told and retold to family it was like a game of broken telephone, I had people thinking the name was Royden, Boyce, Bryce, and Darcy (this last one was my 96 year old grandma, but still)

Some other names I really like:

Oren (vetoed by dh)
Coen (I first heard this name from a mama in my ddc, and I love it)
Quinn (although this is becoming very common)
Bryn
Brandt
Reed
I love Oren....and I LOVE Royce. I love it, because of Royce Gracie...but DH vetoed that last PG, before we knew we were carrying a girl. Good name though...yeah, I can see people being like "Royce, what? Hmmm, you mean Rory...Roy??" - silly families!

#11 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 11:56 AM

we wanted to name our kids Italian names. DH's dad is from Italy and we wanted something to match our last name. we based both our kids names on the nicknames we wanted to use. DS is Massimo which is becoming more popular but still unique. it's also a family name. DH has an uncle named Massimo but everyone called him Max. it's also DH's middle name. it was the perfect name for us.
#12 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Ha! Since we named our last one Kingston after the town my water broke in, we were thinking of going with the trend. If my water breaks in our hometown of "Jasper", his name might just be Jasper...
#13 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 12:07 PM

Ds' name is Honor. It was one of the few names both dh and I liked. Sometimes I wish we'd spelled it Honour, though. His middle name is that of a predatory bird. We were considering it anyway and dd helped us decide on it. We were taking a walk with her one day and asked her what we should name the baby if it's a boy and she blurted it out immediately. That cinched it for us since I don't think she'd heard us talking about it before.

We like strong sounding names that have some meaning, either to us or in general. We didn't want to get too unusual, though, , especially for a first name, since we worry about saddling our child with something they'll hate or be picked on for. Unusual/unique boys names are so much harder to me to come up with.

Dh's middle name is his mom's maiden name.

I always kind of liked Orion, Mateo and Asher but they didn't make the cut, obviously.

Sara:  Playing ref to my jumpers.gif    Sweet Pea 10 read.gif Tootle Pants 7 bouncy.gif& Trouble Monkey diaper.gif 18 mo

#14 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg-momto2 View Post
we wanted to name our kids Italian names. DH's dad is from Italy and we wanted something to match our last name. we based both our kids names on the nicknames we wanted to use. DS is Massimo which is becoming more popular but still unique. it's also a family name. DH has an uncle named Massimo but everyone called him Max. it's also DH's middle name. it was the perfect name for us.

Awww LUCKY!

I loooove Italian names...DH has a weird thing about naming our kids, names he thnks sound "too" Italian/Muslim?English, etc...because he says "But, we're NOT Italian!? How can we give them names that are CLEARLY Italian/German/Russian!?" It makes me sad...but what am I going to do. So...he is Irish, I'm half Scandie half AA....so...I don't know. Massimo is a freakin' SWEET name!! lucky kid!

#15 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 12:15 PM

My son's name is Keiran, it is an Irish name and a bit unusual. It can also be spelt Kieran which is a bit more common or Ciaran.
#16 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 12:18 PM

HOw about Dalton?

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#17 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
We were this close (insert fingers coming together) to using my mother's maiden name for DS's first name but we chickened out. Part of me wishes we would have used it.
That's how my daughter got her name. My mother's maiden name...she was born in a family of girls and my grandfather only had sisters. My Corbin is holding down of lot of heritage on her little shoulders.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#18 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 12:24 PM

i like Leo.
#19 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 PM

I never got my kids names from a baby name book. I definitely looked at them but their names always seemed to come to me out of no where or I'd see the name in a credit list at the end of a movie. Then I would do a search and see if any celebrities had named their kid the same thing, if so, I'd toss it out. Celeb baby names are a good indication that it might become popular. Then I checked the SS list to see if it was in the top 1000 and if so, where.

It was really important to me for them not to have popular names, why, I don't know. If I heard another child named the same thing it would lose a bit of its magic.

Also, if you do a search and can't find the meaning, it's usually a keeper!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#20 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 12:30 PM

Jessep?
#21 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 12:33 PM

My boys are Rune and Leif.

Rune was a name my husband just LOVED forever but I was totally against it. When he was born he totally looked like a Rune. Some adults have problems with it and our families TOTALLY hated it when we did it but now nobody can imagine him any other way. Kids for the most part have no trouble with it, except one adorable boy at the zoo who thought his name was Boo. Which works for me too

It's funny you say Eli, because we thought about that for Ru but decided against it.

My other son, Leif, is kinda common. We pronounce it LAYF instead of Leaf though, so that's a little different. Nobody pronounce it right at all. It's always Leaf. When he gets older if he chooses to go buy Leaf that's fine. I also gave them normal middle names (Peter and Oliver) in case they hate their names.

My DH is dead set on naming our next boy Sig, but it's not happening. I love August or Augustus. DS2 was almost Lars.

Oh and I LOVE Jasper, but it's my cousins name...I would totally name a boy Japser.
#22 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 12:50 PM

DS's name is Silas Mackenzie Lastname. No particularly magical story; DH picked Silas and I agreed. Mackenzie is DH's middle name and I've always loved it.

If we're ever blessed with another boy, his name will be Elias Jasper (sharing the Jasper love : )
#23 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
(sharing the Jasper love )
Now why does everyone irl tell me Jasper is a dog's name every time I mention it? I'd be tempted to have another baby if I could guarantee it was a boy just to use Jasper.

Quote:
My DH is dead set on naming our next boy Sig, but it's not happening. I love August or Augustus. DS2 was almost Lars.
My Oakley's middle name is Augustus. I have always loved that name.
#24 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Now why does everyone irl tell me Jasper is a dog's name every time I mention it? I'd be tempted to have another baby if I could guarantee it was a boy just to use Jasper.
We had a dog named Jasper.

Sara:  Playing ref to my jumpers.gif    Sweet Pea 10 read.gif Tootle Pants 7 bouncy.gif& Trouble Monkey diaper.gif 18 mo

#25 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 01:14 PM

I like Elias with the nicknam Eli. What about Camden? Unless you have bad associations with the city I really like Silas, too. If my last name didn't have 2 S's in it, we would have considered it. Another mentioned in this thread that I like is Kingston. Killian is cool, too, IMO

My youngest is Lincoln. It's unique but not too out there, and we get tons of positive feedback.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#26 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateNummies View Post
We had a dog named Jasper.

See?!
#27 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudmomoftwins View Post
i like Leo.
This is one of my favorites as well, though I never got to use it on a child.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#28 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
Hi mamas!

So...we're trying to pick up boy names, for those of you with little boys who have unique names...we want something strong, that is not common...but not totally out there, you know? What was your thought process in naming your son something special...and what did you end up going with?

We have "Eli"...but don't know what we'd use for a middle name...what do you think?
Eli is the single most common name for a son in our group of friends...it was on our list until we had 5 friends from college name their son it within 3 months of each other!

Anyway, our sons names...

Kincaid Chance-we got this from a book, so not at all creative...The book The Brothers K by David James Duncan, the main characters name is Kincaid, the last name of the family is Chance...so we just moved the last name to a middle name.

Travis Neil- not at all unique or anything, just didn't want him left out. Our dd named him, after dancers on So You Think You Can Dance... Travis was from season 1 and Neil was from season 2. It so happened this way cause she was sitting on the bath tub ledge while I took a pregnancy test, it came up positive, and she said "If it's a boy we'll name him Travis!" the second she found out I was pregnant (she was 4 years old at the time)...how can you say no to that? We let her pick a middle name as well, and she didn't choose till we were filling out the birth certificate.

River Anderson-River is what Travis would of been named if not for Janelle...it's just one of dh and I's favorite names (though, dh petitioned heavily for Rivers instead)... Anderson just sounded good with River without sounding like a geographical location.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#29 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysMomma View Post
Ooohhhh, Jasper! I like that!
My dh has a co-worker named Jasper Showers...(showers is his last name) and I LOVE this...we came *this* close to using Jasper till we started talking about the possibility with other people, and found out Jasper is a character in twilight...so that made us decide to just stick with River.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#30 of 128 Old 06-03-2009, 01:33 PM

My son's name is Forrest, I don't know if that counts. But, its an established name, and not very common. I also think its pretty strong.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page