Desperate for nap help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-03-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't get my 4 1/2 month old to nap. Unless he's in the car or being held. Even naps in the sling, like when I'm out and about, don't last long. If he's being held he will take up to a 3 hour mid day nap. But will not do anything near this anywhere else. The most he will nap elsewhere is in the carseat and that is only for about 30mintues. Bouncey around 20minutes though it used to be an hour long. Will not sleep in the swing. The crib is apparently evil.:

He does co-sleep at night and he is BF'ed.

We did cry it out with our 2 y/o but I can't for the life of me bring myself to go through that again. Please tell me there is another option.

I haven't the slightest clue if this is the apporiate place to post this so feel free to move if necessary.

Thanks for any and all advice and virtural hugs.

ETA: I do not expect him to sleep all day by any means. I just figure he must need at least one nap and that nap I would think would last longer than 20-30 mintues.
#2 of 10 Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 PM

:
#3 of 10 Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 PM

I don't have any advice yet but I did just order the no cry sleep solution book and the no cry nap solution book. Its by Elizabeth Pantley
#4 of 10 Old 06-03-2009, 06:47 PM

Dd never napped more than 30 min as an infant. it worked for her.

-Angela
#5 of 10 Old 06-03-2009, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

I have hear of the no cry sleep solution but wasn't sure if it applied to older babies. I should look into that further thanks.

River's mum - are you watching b/c you really want to know what ppl have to say or to see if it starts drama? B/c I am absolutley looking for advice. I need advice. I will be the first to ask this be deleted if it starts a debate. I just want help - that's all.
#6 of 10 Old 06-03-2009, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Angela - that's nice to know. I know I always compare my kiddos b/c the way my oldest did things is the only way I know. 2 y/o LOVED naps. but this seems to only like them if I'm sitting and holding him.

I don't even care if that's all he naps I just want to make sure I doing this "right". Thanks again!!!
#7 of 10 Old 06-03-2009, 07:56 PM

at 4 months old DD napped 3 times a day for 30 mins - 1 hour. I think a 4 month old taking a 3 hour nap is pretty abnormal.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#8 of 10 Old 06-03-2009, 09:17 PM

My kid is a crappy napper and pretty much always has been. He rarely will let me move him to his swing and nap there, but mostly he has to nap on me.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#9 of 10 Old 06-03-2009, 09:27 PM

OK, you are so not going to want to read this, but DD only napped in-arms until she was about 18 months old. It was the only thing that worked. Otherwise, she would take a couple of tiny cat naps during the day and that really did not work for her. It was kind of awful. And like your DS, the stroller, car, or carrier did not do the trick. I was finally able to get her to start napping in 40 minutes stretches around 2 and now at 2.5 she's pretty much done with napping. Just know that you'll get through it and you're kid is not the only one out there with nap issues.
#10 of 10 Old 06-03-2009, 09:27 PM

totally normal. All of my kids needed to be held constantly as babies. as they got older I could slip away for longer periods of time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page