Calling all moms who gave their DD's unique names! (a sister thread) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

#61 of 90 Old 06-05-2009, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD's name is Dani Michelle. People tend to assume it's short for Danielle or Danica...but no, it's just Dani.

Other names I like:
Dehlia
Cecil (my great aunt's name, it's usually a boy's name though)
Rain
Dana
Deanna
Audry
Mortisha
Iris
Violet
Rosella
Ava
Eden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 90 Old 06-05-2009, 07:31 PM

My faves-
Clover
Bliss
Berlin

Mother to Elsa b. 12/06 and expecting a new one 6/10. Partner to Josh and love our two cats, Bert N Ernie.
#63 of 90 Old 06-05-2009, 08:31 PM

i love these threads! dd is named isley (eye - lee) for the island where dh and i met and started our lives. i thought i was so clever inventing that name and then when isley was 1 we became best friends with a family whose dd was named isla!!

loving all the interesting names on here!
#64 of 90 Old 06-05-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgirl View Post
i love these threads! dd is named isley (eye - lee) for the island where dh and i met and started our lives. i thought i was so clever inventing that name and then when isley was 1 we became best friends with a family whose dd was named isla!!

loving all the interesting names on here!
This reminded me of the name Isla (eye-la)!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#65 of 90 Old 06-05-2009, 08:57 PM

DD#1 is Olivia Grace. Certainly not unique these days. But when we picked it out 5 years ago, we knew no one with either name. We thought it was very uncommon. LOL!

DD#2 is Janie Reese. We wanted this babe to have a really unique name and we wanted it to sound southern (we moved from Chicago to Florida when I was 39 weeks pregnant). I love this name! And Janie has *yet* to make it onto any popularity charts!
#66 of 90 Old 06-05-2009, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Our boys are Asher, Micah and Zephaniah. Old school Hebrew names from the Bible, but definitely unique!!
#67 of 90 Old 06-05-2009, 10:09 PM

DD2 is Esmé Jeanette; named after J. D. Salinger's "For Esmé - with Love and Squalor" and long before the Twilight series came out...

(It's pronounced Ez-may)

Mom to dd1 7/00 reading.gif, dd2 12/03 upsidedown.gif, and ds 2/07 afro.jpg - home forever 9/07
In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul. -Lisa T. Shepherd
#68 of 90 Old 06-05-2009, 10:40 PM

Our DD, expected sometime this September, is named Jovie. We love that it means "joyous" :

Me + him = DS 01/08 & DD 09/09 X2
#69 of 90 Old 06-06-2009, 03:06 AM

My dd's name is Fayden. Weirdly enough, I had a dream a month or two after DH and I started dating about being on vacation with his mom and my brother and a little toddler named Fayden who was my daughter in the dream. (Before that dream, every time my mother told me she loved me more, I told her no way - after that dream, I somehow knew that mothers loved their children more than their children could ever love them - I really truly FELT the mommy love in that dream!!)

Anyway, when I turned up pregnant with a girl a few months later, I just KNEW it was her, so I named her Fayden after the girl in the dream.

If you're really looking for something unique, maybe search meanings of names? Look for some quality you wish for her to have or some blessing you hope her to find in her life?
#70 of 90 Old 06-06-2009, 03:41 AM

I have a Mali Aurora and a Scarlett Ruhe

CPST & mom

#71 of 90 Old 06-06-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisteeesmama View Post
How does that work when people are reading it IRL? Does anyone ever fidure that out? What is the origin? I never ever would have guessed that pronunciation!
I'm not the original poster of Niamh, but it is my niece's name too. It's a gaelic name and from what I remember an mh at the end of a name is pronounced "v", but if a v sound is in the middle of a name it's represented with a bh, like Siobhan. My sister-in-law's family is from Ireland, so she's very keen on keeping all thing Irish. When someone reads my niece's name, they tend to pronounce it like Liam, with an N!

Nikki, mama to DD and DS1 twins.gif (6/07) and DS2 babyboy.gif (10/10) 
#72 of 90 Old 06-06-2009, 06:51 PM

My DD is Jubilee. I like that it basically means "freedom". One of her middle names is Jane, so we figure if she grows up to hate her first name, she can always go by a more "normal" name.

I grew up with an unusual name (Kirstin) and while I got tired of correcting people who call me Kristin, I have always liked not knowing anyone else with the same name as me. I hope DD feels special for her name too.

BekahMomTo Oliver, I *Love* the name Jovie (I have a thing for 'J' names)!!

Names we like for future girls:

Tallullah
Jordan
Frieda/ Freeda (for my great-gma)
Dessie (another gma)

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#73 of 90 Old 06-06-2009, 06:57 PM

I am a mother to only boys, Dakota and Keegan,
but my name is unusual. My name is Golden.
Sure I got teased and called Golden Retreiver as a kid, but as an adult, I love it. Sure is a conversation starter!
#74 of 90 Old 06-06-2009, 10:51 PM

I'll share our list of names that we had narrowed down when DD was 3 days old

Alessa
Adriana
Maribel
Mirabel
Angelina
Alina
Elise/Elisa

we chose Adrielle because we all loved it
#75 of 90 Old 06-07-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalemon View Post
Well, my daughter's name is Lilah. I wanted to name her Delilah but DH dislikes biblical names so we compromised and I am happy with it. If our third is a girl, we are considering the names:
Freya
Roxanna
Ivy
Juniper
Rosabel
We just named ours Freya! We thought it was really rare but are finding girls named Freya everywhere now. Her whole name is actually Alunada Freya Paxton. Alunada is what my other daughter made up and was calling my belly, so we let her sister name her. Come to find out Alunada is a real word and means "lunatic" in spanish. We are using "Freya" mostly now.
#76 of 90 Old 06-07-2009, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Our top two girl's names at the moment are

Freya Juliet

and

Lyric Rose

I love Lyric. FH was not so keen at first but he is liking it more now.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#77 of 90 Old 06-07-2009, 07:57 AM

Well, DH got to choose our DD's first name, and none of the names I liked really fit with it, so I ended up choosing Rose as it's in keeping with the kind of old-fashioned, genteel feeling I get with Eleanor, but it's a different kind of name too if she wants to use her middle name when she's older. Little did I realise at the time how popular both of those names were becoming!

If we have another girl in the future my short-list contains:

Sadhbh It's Irish, pronounced Sive to rhyme with five
Saoirse Again, Irish (guess where I'm from!) pronounced SEAR-shuh (means freedom)
Sinead Irish, shin-AID
Aisling Irish, ASH-lin(g) means dream

I like the idea of continuing with flower/plant names for middle names but having a hard time coming up with ones that go with the names I've got. I like Sage in combination with Aisling, but it doesn't go with the others for me.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#78 of 90 Old 06-07-2009, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
my girls are Ellia (Elle-ee-ah or Ellie-ah) and Athena ... my niece is Calliope!

if i were to ever have more girls, they would be Lyric and Ezri

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)

Proud Gestational Surrogate to N (15/01/15)
#79 of 90 Old 06-07-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeC View Post
My dd's name is Aellyn - pronounced like Ellen with a long A (also rhymes with Palin, as in Sarah Palin).

I don't know of anyone with that name currently
DD2 is Aevryn pronounced with a long A and a short i (ay-vrin). people seem to freak out that the e is before the v instead of after, though.

Her middle name is Elise. It's perfect and I love it.

DD1 is Lilliana Lauise. Named after my grandma. We call her Lily. She is the fourth generation with that middle name (grandma, mom , me, her). I hope she continues the tradition if she has a daughter someday.

We're not TTC#3 until the end of the year, but of course I've already thought about names.

We like: Freya (sounds super popular all of a sudden), Willow, Artemesia, and Isolde.

I have a niece Adelaide (Addie) and a niece Edith. I also know of a new baby named Adeline and I know of on older child named Adelaine (Lainey). I love all these "old" names coming back into use.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#80 of 90 Old 06-07-2009, 12:30 PM

I love name threads!
My name is Eden so I must have girls named after plants I just love the garden theme. How silly right? Boys would have been the same but dh nixed it right away!

Anyway,
oldest dd is Laurelle (Laurel) and for a 14 year old it is actually quite common...just not the spelling...for a bay born now...I don't even think its on the list anymore

Youngest dd is Yarrow

others we considered:

Linden
Juniper
Cedar
Clover
Poppy

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#81 of 90 Old 06-07-2009, 01:49 PM

If our baby is born a girl, my husband and I want to also give our girl two middle names.

(I have two long middle names and I just find it more fun, unique and different than my peers. Middle being: Danielle Kimberly. 1st middle name: After my mom's uncle Daniel. 2nd middle name: My mom's cousin Kimberly.)

Lillian Grace McCoy Hodges. "Lily"

(Lillian McCoy a family name, while he likes the name Grace).

If a boy.

William David Daniel Hodges

(William David is hubby's name. Adding Daniel, as the male form of Danielle) So it won't be a Jr. But yet I can say "William David!" and kill two birds with one stone as I knew if one is in trouble, so is the other haha.

Often people question how our kids will learn how to spell it, but I think it will be good practice on writing.

It isn't always about the names that often is not heard of or the spelling, but I also think of family history and combining things with meaning behind it. Not just name "fillers".
#82 of 90 Old 06-07-2009, 04:59 PM

My daughter's name is Augusta, which is pretty unusual here in Denmark. I've just always been in love with that name, and I was clever enough - when my boyfriend and I first started TTC - to mention that if I ever had a girl, I wanted to call her Augusta. That settled the deal right then and there

For our 2nd baby we had Isolde for a girl's name, but out came Theodor!

I love many of the unique names in this thread, but a lot of them just won't do in Danish

Just for fun (or maybe inspiration, who knows?), here are the top ten girl's names in Denmark as of 2008:
Emma
Freja
Caroline
Ida
Sofie
Mathilde
Anna
Laura
Sara
Lærke
#83 of 90 Old 06-07-2009, 06:15 PM

Dd's name was picked out by dh. He's not American and her name is VERY common where he is from. It's very common around the world, really, but just not seen much in the US.

Ever since seeing the movie Green Card, I've always liked the name Brontë as a first name for a girl. I know one girl that has this name and it doesn't fit her at all (she's a teen patron where I work). In the end, I'm a traditionalist, so that name probably wouldn't have settled well with me anyway. I like names like Elizabeth, Margaret, Helen, etc.
#84 of 90 Old 06-08-2009, 12:43 AM

Lots of great names in this thread! Here are more of my favorite unusual girl names:

Ignacia (ig-NAY-sha)
Kerensa
Kalevi
Dahlia
Morgaine
Cammeo
Elsa
Pearl
Lysandra
Toby
Dulse
Sutton
Desdemona
#85 of 90 Old 06-08-2009, 09:35 PM

I love this thread!

Some unique names we have used, and some we like: (Well, unique here)

Mackenzie
Tindra
Luna
Emmeli
Anneli
Alida
Luca
Othilie
Leona
Alva
Saga
Eiril
Amelia
Mailin
Tilde
Alma
Elvira
Vilja
Izabelle
Eileni/Eleni/Lani
Illiana/Illianna
Levina
Isolde
Hermione
Tierra/Kiera

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#86 of 90 Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 AM

I don't think mine are necessarily unique but I almost never hear Gwendalyn (my oldest). My baby is Lila which seems to be becoming more popular.
#87 of 90 Old 06-09-2009, 12:22 AM

We settled on Bridget Kelly Grace, dh doesn't like names that are toooooo unusual but I really liked:

Alice (Dh's grandmother)
Fiona
Sage
Lyric
Kenzie
Calliope (or some variation, Kelliope? dh's name is Kelly)
Cressida

But Bridget was the only name we agreed on, and now we call her Bit, or Bit-bit, which is how she started saying her own name

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#88 of 90 Old 06-09-2009, 12:55 AM

I love Lyric!

My favorite girl's name is Kestrel. I love that name so much, I almost changed my own name to it before I started going by Kris (middle name.) If we'd had a girl her middle name would have been Kestrel for sure. First name would have started with an A, like mine and my mom's.

but we can't have any more, so all my girl names are wasted. Sigh.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#89 of 90 Old 06-09-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
I love Lyric!

My favorite girl's name is Kestrel. I love that name so much, I almost changed my own name to it before I started going by Kris (middle name.) If we'd had a girl her middle name would have been Kestrel for sure. First name would have started with an A, like mine and my mom's.

but we can't have any more, so all my girl names are wasted. Sigh.
i LOVE that name!!!

hmmmm..... probably be my next dog since i've fairly certain we're done at two.

eh. who needs a signature?
#90 of 90 Old 06-09-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
My favorite girl's name is Kestrel.
One of my bikes is a Kestrel. I don't think I could ever name my child after a bike.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page